A-AA Finals

hardball03

And you would never make fun of another team. At the frist game this season the student body of FRA waited for DCA to come out of the stadium and chanted just like last year.

That's different than a player on the team turning her back to the ball in play to walk over to the FRA stands to cuss and flick off the fans at the District Finals. She also took a swing at an FRA girl as she was getting up off the ground. It sends a great message about the DCA program.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mlbird33, Congratulations on the win. First, the FRA team has no control over the behavior of the student body anymore than your team does it's student body. But the team does control it's own behavior on the field. You get the point. To laugh at the misfortune of a team or player is...well, bad sportsmanship at least. It would not be tolerated by the FRA coach under any circumstances. The student body's behavior was repremanded after that game and I believe it hasn't happened again. Acting lessons, come on. It is hard to stay on your feet when being tripped or pushed from behind. Worth taking the chance though considering the speed and skills of the players tripped. The same refs that called the other suspect calls, called those too. Both teams had great seasons. DCA won the prize. Let's leave it there. :angry:

An excellent point was made in an earlier note about sportsmanship and character. I do know for a fact that DCA showed little mercy on some of the weaker teams, like David Lipscomb, and the DCA fans cheered at every goal as they went on to push it to 9-0. I do realize that it is hard for a really good team to NOT score, but the reaction by players and fans can make the difference in humiliation to another team. Be that as it may, the FRA girls may have not won state this year, but NO team in the district, region, or state can parallel their sportsmanship and character.........that is what really matters.

Why do you think our player flicked off and cussed out somebody. Yes it was wrong. That isn't acceptable. However something had to cause her to do that. She was provoked by the FRA student body. It wasn't that bad either. She didn't once throw a punch or swing at one of your players. She didn't stop play and walk over to the FRA's stands. I do agree though, it is still not acceptable. And what about one of FRA's players taking a shot our goalie. That wasn't sportsmanlike. She already had the ball and then the player came in. All yall can talk about is the refs. The refs were bad. They were horrible for both teams. You can't tell me FRA wasn't diving. A couple of FRA's players fell every time they got touched. It was a physical game and the refs let it get out of hand. FRA did get pushed and tripped some, but so did DCA. DCA just didn't fake it as much.

At the district championship, #7 for DCA did in fact stop play to come over and cuss us out. I wasn't yelling anything, because we had a teacher right behind us, and trouble just seems to find me at girls soccer games, haha. But then when DCA was running their post-gama lap, two of their players flicked us all off. And you were right, they were provoked, but they shouldn't have let themselves be affected by students. It took their minds off of the game, which is exactly what the intent was. In that respect, the students won. They did a much better job keeping their cool and composure at the region championship game, and consequently, they won.

She was provoked early on, but not nearly enough for someone to turn their back to the action and taunt the stands. It later got to the point where FRA fans would only yell "Hey number 7" for her to get all riled up again. Pretty pathetic. And yes, she did take a swing at an FRA player. I do not know about the goalie incident so I will not comment on it. And after the district game they continued to flick off the FRA students without any provocation. She definately let a little bit of heckling get the best of her and she lost all of her composure.

FRA definitely does not "fake" falling. We wouldn't fall unless someone made us. Looking at pictures from the game, there are many pictures where you can see DCA players holding jerseys and swinging an elbow, so it's not a question of faking anything. As a matter of fact if anyone was faking it was DCA. I do believe there was one instance where the Ref. stopped the game because a DCA girl was down. She continued rolling on the ground "in pain" for a few minutes. When she got up and the ref walked away she began to laugh with some of her teammates. If you say FRA fakes things then I don't know what you would call that.

Region finals and state were both really physical games... everyone was falling down, no one was faking. They were both really close and really good games and of course I'm upset FRA didn't win, but that's how it goes. We'll go for it again next year. But I gotta say one more thing thats probably gonna cause controversy... FRA at their strongest was defininitely the better team this year. When they connected, it was beautiful, flowing soccer, and no one could stop it. Not at the A/AA level anyway. We just gotta play like that all the time....

Oh yeah, DCA might not have scored more than 9 goals this season... but have you looked back at the last 4 seasons? I'm sure some scores were a little higher

I didn't get to the game until late b/c my cross country team had a meet. By the way, where was DCA's team there? Anyway from what I saw, the refs made some suspect calls and I can say with some confidence, being that I play soccer and I am a soccer referee, that some of those calls did change the outcome of the game. Its over though and both teams played hard but that doesn't excuse the poor officiating.

Coasterboarder: At the point I arrived in the game, Jeff made a very questionable call that surprised me, and that's why I said that. As the game progressed, I saw that he was at least consistent. True, he might have been "consistently wrong" on his calls, but he called it both ways it seemed like to me. Most of all, I'm trying to keep the contraversy here to a minimum, because FRA and DCA already dislike each other. Either way, DCA won....