Upsets in 5A playoffs

Guest BRANDON43

This may be just wishful thinking but, If Coffee County can run Nunley about a thousand times (just kidding ) a bunch of times, and keep the high powered Smyrna offense off the field, they may be able to keep it close. But C.C.'s defense will have it's hands FULL trying to contain Smyrna's offense. :angry:

I agree with Falconstatsman. Nunley should be ready. Coffee County hasn't played him over 2 quarters in the last few games in order for his knee to heal. I think this game will be closer than most people think. Of course, Coffee County would have rather played Lebanon in the first round, but with Franklin County coming back and defeating Cookeville Friday night, Coffee County has the rough road throughout the playoffs. If Coffee County does beat Smyrna, then their second round game will either be against Lincoln County or Riverdale. Not a game anybody would want to play. I still believe Lincoln County will be state champs.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BA,BGA,PEARL,BHS,FHS,DCHS.Come on know you tell me who has played better teams.And very proud of my boys coming out 5-5 playing those teams.

Come on, you guys beat Pearl-Cohn by 1 point when they were down. Antioch drilled Pearl-Cohn by 3 tds when they were healthy, and that was in the beginning of the season. Things have only gotten better since.

ANTIOCH 38 CENTENNIAL 17

I believe there will only be two upsets between 5 and 6 5-A. I'll take Hendersonville over Dickson County, and just because I'm not sure the HL's win over Gallatin wasn't a fluke (worst game Gallatin's played in a couple of years) I'll take Franklin. The other games should be blowouts by both #1 seeds. Sorry Glencliff but Gallatin beat you 53-0. I just have to believe Brentwood's D will do the same. As for Antioch and Centennial, Antiochs Defense kept Gallatin out of the endzone twice in the red zone having to settle for two field goals and 1 TD in 3 chances in the red zone. They played a very tight game.

Edited by wave88

I was very suprised how good oakland was last friday.

they are certainly not a bad football team and with the way they control the clock if they don't turn it over and just get to the 4th quarter who knows.

LC is definetly set up for an upset since they have not been challenged and are the 100% pick to win it all. All the pressure is on LC other teams can onside kick go for it on 4th down run trick plays whatever since no one gives them a chance.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Media wise, no one is giving Oakland a chance against the Falcons. That is all merely propaganda though. However, I do know a small number of people who are giving Oakland the upper hand, and that small group of people is the one that makes up the Lincoln County football team and coaching staff. They know from past experience that it doesn't matter what the regular season score was, it is the playoff score that everyone remembers. In 1990, Lincoln County defeated Oakland 44 to 6 in the regular season and had to stop the Patriots on a 2 point conversion in the closing minutes of the game to eeke out a 13 to 12 victory in the first round of the 1990 playoffs. So, needless to say, I do not think the Falcons will be taking the Patriots the least bit lightly come this Friday night.

Come on Science Hill beating McMinn is not likely. They got beat pretty bad against DB which could have won them the region instead it put them on the road. McMinn is riding a 4 game win streak. I ain't saying it's not possible I am just saying I don't think it will happen. These two regions are very compariable. Anybody can beat anybody it just depends on who will show up.

LC has gret talent and a great coach (although if you ck the boards last year a lot of LC folks didn't think he could) but they have a huge burden

Being the 100% pick to win it all in your coaches last year is a lot to put on anyone and all it will take is a turnover here or there and being behind late to make the pressure emmense.

I can't remeber a team in the last 10 yrs so overwhelmingly favored!

Guest region4fan

Cat, you and I are so right on the same wavelength that is is frightening!! I smell an UPSET all the way down here in GA! I predict that the LC fans will feel like we did leaving Lebanon's stadium ...like the wind got sucked out of our bodies. The Patriots are the underdogs again. Nothing new. No one gives them a chance...nothing new. Everyone comments on our lack of #'s and lack of depth. Nothing new again. But every team that we have played in the last half of our season that we lost to...we were in the game the whole way. Our starters were in it for all 4 quarters. Our opponents all had respect for us and knew that the game could have gone either way...check the close scores of each. We may have come up short, but we kept fighting and were still in the battle til the final whistle.Our competition was very stiff......not like LC's has been. We are in our final stretch hitting our stride. We are playing our best. We have nothing to prove caus ewe have been counted out. Our kids believe in themselves.

Now take LC. the only 2 close games they have played were Franklin and Riverdale. Look how long ago that was. Their starters get pulled early in every other game. They have had no challenges for weeks. What will happen to them if they get behind in a game? I know they are a great and talented team with fantastic coaches.I know their coache shave seen our film and know that we are dangerous. They will try not to overlook us, but since you already drilled us, it won't be easy to not look towards week two. We helped LC in our game. So many fumbles and so many penalties. We gave you so much help. Not disrespecting you, but check that first quarter. Before we gave you so much help and gave ourselves sucha short field.Our kids are in shape now and are gelling. You will get your money's worth. Man do I smell a victory for our boys in red , white, and blue! Go patriots!!

Edited by region4fan

Guest region4fan

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE those Patriots!! Get in a good week of practice this week. It won't be easy Friday night. I promise you that your effort will pay off guys! Your fans KNOW you have the fire in you to handle the task at hand.

Our competition was very stiff......not like LC's has been.

We are in our final stretch hitting our stride.

We are playing our best. We have nothing to prove cause we have been counted out.

Our kids believe in themselves.

Now take LC. the only 2 close games they have played were Franklin and Riverdale. Look how long ago that was. Their starters get pulled early in every other game. They have had no challenges for weeks.

What will happen to them if they get behind in a game?

Man do I smell a victory for our boys in red , white, and blue!

region4fan, I have a great deal of respect and admiration for everything about Oakland..not only the team, but the school, also. That said....

Lincoln County has played some teams with winning records. Stiff competition by most standards.

LC is just now hitting their stride also...peeking at the right time.

LC is playing their best, also.

LC believes in themselves too...big time.

LC's close games were long ago, but that's because they have gotten so much better.

Their starters have been pulled early in all but two games. The reason for that is their average margin of victory over TEN GAMES is 39 points....not average scoring, but average margin of victory.

What will happen if they get behind? They'll just keep scoring and see if their opponent can keep up the pace.

You smell a victory for the boys in red, white, and blue. Well, so do I. LC's school colors are the same as Oakland's....red, white and blue.

Go team!