Who are some of the best h.s. assistants?

tnvols98nc

I'm gonna have to say Coach Blacks from Fulton High. Coach Black Sr. is the offensive line coach. If you know anything about Fulton's team last year then you heard how last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Falcons. Most of the linemen were sophomores and very inexperienced. And well, we all know what a role they ended up playing - taking us to our second straight State Championship. Coach Black Jr. is the assistant head coach and offensive coordinator for the Falcons. He's had a lot of talent to work with & has used that talent wisely. 2002 State runner-up, 2003 State Champs, 2004 State Champs.

GO FALCONS!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at cak: coach allen carlin- defensive coordinator

coach mark bradley- offensive line (former o-line coach at ut)

coach rusty bradley- offensive coordinator lives for football and knows everything about offense; would make a great head coach as long as he didnt kill one of his players during one of his yelling outbursts lol

Don't have a horse in this race, but I couldnt agree more with the praise heaped on these two men.  From an outsider, who loves HS football, the most impressive thing about these two men is their longevity as assistants, and their ability to change with personnel, and their opponents.  For years, a 50 slant and angle defense.  And the two tight end and  power I running game was infamous around Middle Tennessee.  Now, I gather from what I read, that they are more of a spread it out, open it up philosophy.  A guy at work tells me that they have thrown it more in games the last 6 or 7 years, than they did the previous 10 or so, including practice and warm-up.  Glad to see quality coaching for young men, especially since my sons are grown and gone, and lost interest in football after Jr. High.

825353445[/snapback]

I think the philosophy at White House has to do more with the athletes than the system. They have never changed from the pro-style offense, just changed its components. Much more double tight-end sets and spread receivers with one back, but still a lot of jumbo and heavy with a fullback and two tight ends. Very many plays and formations, but all centered around the old smash-mouth style.

In the mid 1990s, Brock King was a running quarterback with a decent arm, followed by the best quarterback in school history who had awesome passing accuracy in Jon Finch. They won a state championship with him, then the next year went to the semifinals with Josh Lanius running option.

That was followed by Brock Waggoner and Ryan Hamilton also running, before Gordon Keene opened it back up, and then Kyle Levering gave them the deep ball again. Had Levering been a starter for more than one year, he may have blown Finch's numbers away.

This year, if Ryan Mash is the starter, expect to see a lot of option, and a lot of Ricky Ladd, Aaron Hargrove and Justin West getting the hand off.

White House's stable has always been good running backs, mixing speed (Brian Jones and Phillip Jones) with power (Rudy Farmer, Michael Wade, Josh Leloup) and the passing game seems to rotate around the signal caller style.

Lest we forget...they've had some pretty good receivers too, but the best corps in school history (four of them) just graduated.