David Clary

Wildmanfan

Congratulations David ! David Clary is the Voice of the Wildcats. He was presented a new Van Friday night to replace the old WATO Van. The old WATO Van had over 300,000 miles on hit. ( I think when he pulled into the gas station he filled up with oil... and checked the gas. )

Davids efforts are in part responsible for this community being such a huge football town. If you didnt know better you would think the Oak Ridge Wildcats were a Division 1 College team. I know he makes the players feel that way. My son has seen me watching David for years and was one of the many reasons he wanted to be a Wildcat.

On his broadcast he said he was un-deserving. Let me mention a fraction of what he does and yall help him understand that he does deserve that van.

He along with a dedicated crew provides radio broadcast of the Oak Ridge football games on Friday nights on WATO 1290 am. When the JV and freshman are playing he broadcasts those games on Monday nights. He also has a Coaches show that airs here in Oak Ridge on Wednesday nights. On his show he has highlight tape and talks to Coach Lussier ( who by the way Volunteers his time on Wednesday after school and Wednesdays' practice) about last weeks game, upcoming games, player interviews, asst. coach interviews, interviews with the upcoming opponents head coach as well as coverage and head coach interviews of Junior Varsity and Freshman games. That is just during football season. As I understand it he receives no pay for these services. Amazing

I need some help. I have only been in Oak Ridge for 14 years so I really don't know how long he has been doing this. If someone could please provide that info on this thread it would be great. Also I don't want to leave anyone out that was responsible for the van. If someone could post all the organizations and people involved in providing the van please post them, they deserve cudos on this thread as well.

I made a post last week on another thread expressing my admiration and appreciation for all he does for the Oak Ridge Wildcats. I want to remain anonymous because I have a son playing in the Oak Ridge system and do not want to be accused of complimenting David to get recognition for my son, he will do that on his own when his time comes. So for now I guess I am just one of many secret admirers.

Great Job David and Thank You.

Edited by Wildmanfan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second everything you say. I am in radio business and broadcast high school football myself. I had the good fortune of working with the same radio group as David for a couple of years, and I quickly give credit to David Clary for teaching me almost everything I know about broadcasting. He is genuinely one of the class acts in the radio business.

If memory serves, he has been broadcasting Oak Ridge sports on WATO for 25 years.

Mr. Clary does an excellent job as the 'Voice of the Wildcats.' I listened to Mr. Clary's call of the DB - OR game that was played earlier in the season. Also listened to portions of the recent OR - Jeff Co game.

He gives time remaining, score, down and distance, etc. Bob Keesling could learn a thing or two from Mr. Clary. Check that...Keesling could learn ALOT from Mr. Clary.

ROLL TRIBE ROLL!

I am glad to hear this believe it or not. I actually worked at WATO in the late 70's and was running the board at the station during some of the oak ridge games. I do not remember who was doing the games then. But I found out first hand how big football is in Oak Ridge. I lived there for a while in the summer and fall of 78 and really enjoyed it there. Lot of good memories from my days at 1290 AM.

From one broadcaster's opinion, Mr. Clary has no equals in this part of the state. In fact, while many write about how fortunate Oak Ridge is to have him, most don't truly understand what a treasure he is.

He has class, talent, ties to the community and a heck of a work-ethic. I hope down the road, I get the privalege of working with Mr. Clary, it would truly be an honor.

He gives time remaining, score, down and distance, etc. Bob Keesling could learn a thing or two from Mr. Clary. Check that...Keesling could learn ALOT from Mr. Clary.

At least learn to spell Bob's name before you criticize him...

Bob KESLING has done a terrific job as the Director of Broadcasting at UT; I work with him every day and could not name a finer man for the job, although I would love to have it one day!

Congratulations to Mr. Clary for his accomplishments at Oak Ridge. I don't know the man, but he sounds like one heck of a broadcaster.

Edited by WesVols