Knox Cent @ Maryville

FBEmeritus

Maryville fans and players you have to realize one thing, The Bobcats has dedicated the rest of their season to their coach because they know he wish he was out there with them.

AE, don't try to paint it like its an advantage for Central having their coach out, because it's not. I agree that Central will want to win one for the coach, but that's not gonna win the game for them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are all wrong. With all players healthy at Central and a drive of rage bigger than ever Central will take the rebels like a breeze 35-0.

You have got to be kidding me! I would like to see Central pull off the upset, but there is no way that they will pitch a shutout. I noticed last week that Coach McMillan, the usual defensive coordinator was calling the offense in Coach Helton's absence. And there was some other coach for Central calling the defense. Central has been known for their tough D, but with a new leader on defense (as well as offense), I don't see them pitching a shut out. Even Coach McMillan couldn't accomplish that. I just hope that he does a better job of calling offenses. Last week looked a little rough.

Obviously going to be a great game. Confidence, home field advantage, discipline, conditioning, coaching, trust and an extra batch of chocolate VCC's give Maryville the advantage. Cassen Jackson will have a good game but so will a variety of ball carriers for the "Black Swarm IV".

Andrew Hodge and Jeff Smith will have good games too....the red and black crystal ball sees Larry Hannan getting a defensive TD.

I like the Red Rebels by a cautious 14. Both team scores will be over 20 pts.

Reguards to the board.

Edited by mapperman

Trurebel: that is a good question. I know the kids are relieved that Coach Helton is going to be OK. This is an experienced staff and there is good senior leadership on this team. The practices will not change. The routines will not change. Several members of the staff have been with Joel for years, so they know what they want to get done.

But what should be a concern is the playcalling. Coach Mac will not call the game the same way that Helton does. But this could be a good thing for Central. While I'm sure that Maryville has a pretty good book on the Bobcats, he may do something in a situation that Helton would not do. Should be interesting.

I'm not going to predict anything other than the same high level of game that was played last time. I think it will be a very close game.

Agree with Medman, "Coach Mac will not call the game the same way that Helton does". Could be an advantage to Central. I think though the way the Maryville Staff prepares the kids is the real key to stopping surprises. The MHS staff seems to defenses the team’s key players. Riggs, McMahan, Milligan kids were limited by the study of film and defensive sets the past few years to prove the point. This year a great back like Jackson is going to get his yards but as long as he doesn’t break the big one, to many times Maryville will be fine. I expect both teams will come to play and it will be a great game for sure. I do expect Maryville to find ways to score and if Central does not limit their mistakes and normal penalties average Maryville will win no question. Mistakes will hurt any team at this level of the post season because all teams are good at this point.

You are absolutely right, Trureb, it will be tough. I think the refs decided to swallow the whistles and let the kids play the 1st game. It did make for a fast paced, fun game to watch for us fans, though. But Central cannot afford to have 13 penalties like they did against West. If they can keep those down to 5-6, with maybe 1 turnover, Central will be there at the end.

Another factor is Shavar Young. His ankle was badly sprained in that game. He is getting better. I don't think he is back to 100%, but he looks better. I think Central needs to spread the field, go 4 wide. Get the kids like Scott , Young and Gaston in space. The Maryville kids are great tacklers and take the right angles, but 1 move could be the game.

As far as who is calling the D, I think, and I could be wrong, but it looked like coach Brown was doing the communicating to the defense.

I'll bet the people staying with Joel while this game is being played will have a long nite. It is probably tearing him up not being able to be at this game.