Mr. Football

Vikingalumnist

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the time, anyone who wins a Mr Football award is deserving, although you can make a point for several kids each year. Most times, I have problems with all state selections, as I never believe the best kids make all state.

I also watched one of the high school all star games and wonder how a kid gets selected on these teams. While there are many good players participating, I find it amazing that, in the game I watched, 3 kids off of one team played in an all star game. How does this happen? I can understand if their high school team played deep in the playoffs, but this team finished the year 5-6.

I believe the all region teams are a better representation of the best players in the state. Good players get recognized by their peers and not by the stat sheet.

BURLEY Posted on Nov 18 - 11:06 PM

IF you are deep in the playoffs he has a better shot. just like the Heisman and the BCS.

Granted playoff bound teams do get more attention but the voting is already over and done prior to the playoffs. Only the top three vote getters are announced as nominees.

As a voter I can tell you that the Mr. Football Awards is not as political as the Mr. and Miss Basketball Awards. The basketball awards are ran like a political race. Last year I received several flyers in the mail from players and several emails telling me why I should vote for that particular person. Granted it let me know about someone that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Most of the time, anyone who wins a Mr Football award is deserving, although you can make a point for several kids each year. Most times, I have problems with all state selections, as I never believe the best kids make all state.

I also watched one of the high school all star games and wonder how a kid gets selected on these teams. While there are many good players participating, I find it amazing that, in the game I watched, 3 kids off of one team played in an all star game. How does this happen? I can understand if their high school team played deep in the playoffs, but this team finished the year 5-6.

I believe the all region teams are a better representation of the best players in the state. Good players get recognized by their peers and not by the stat sheet.

I agree... not a big fan of the all-state selections myself. Example, we went 11-2 last year only losing to the state champs and not a SINGLE all-state selection. Only one honorable mention. Not a single all-star game participant. I hope it's better this year!