Maryville 28 - Central 25

Rebel96

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey boyz!

What a 3rd quarter of play. My boyz played well in the 3rd quarter.

I think they had some jitters in the first half and they got outplayed by Central.

It was an exciting game but not as exciting as the game in week 9 at Central, not quite as cold either.

What did you boyz think about the fumble that Hamilton caused? I thought that was a turning point in the game. I was pleased to see GQ get in their tails over that one.

However, it wouldn't have been close if Andrew hadn't dropped that one in the end zone! I hope that is the only mistake he ever makes! He has played solid all year and we can excuse that one!

John Paul...sorry, better luck next year! Your boyz played their hearts out and I hate to see anyone come that far and lose.

Gilly Boat...get u some!

The recruiting machine developed by Ted Wilson and yours truly is ...MARCHING ON!

Love you boyz!

;)

Another classic. Maryville came out and really blitzed them to start the second half after trailing 17-7 at the half. 65 yard drive for a score. Another score after a turnover and another one after a blocked punt. 21 unanswered points. Missed a great chance to put it away in the fourth quarter when a wide open receiver dropped one in the end zone that would have made it 35-17. Maryville did a better job on Jackson than they did on Helton. However they did pressure him and really disrupted their passing game as a result. It is hard to beat a good team twice in a month but we managed to pull it off. Congratulations to Central on their season. The posters from Central who said early on that they would selling Central State Championship T shirts after our game with Carter were having a three for one sale after the game. And Tyler Gaskin gave Cassen Jackson an idea what college ball will be like when he knocked him into the middle of next week late in the game.

I was a lot more pleased with this game's results than in the first game. We barely escaped in that first one, and we could have lost that game at the end of regulation... this game we made a good comeback to avoid that sort of thing, and our defense rised up to the occasion so we didn't have to go through overtime all over again.

I was wrong about Chris McCord not being as much a factor in this one... although he didn't have any long runs, he had a lot of scores. Props to Quarles for that beautiful play where Cade handed off to Andrew Clement who promptly ran over to give it to Alex Rouse, who then stepped back and lofted it to a streaking Tyler Gaskin for a memorable score. They should try to do that kind of thing more often.

Alex Rouse had a memorable performance in this one. He didn't get to play much at quarterback all year until this game. Now he can always tell his wee ones someday that "I played quarterback and sparked the Maryville Red Rebels to a win over Knoxville Central in the quarterfinals! I threw a touchdown and ran for 60-something yards!"

Hopefully we will bring our "A" game to Morristown West next week. That's a team we simply can't make any mistakes against.

I was a lot more pleased with this game's results than in the first game.  We barely escaped in that first one, and we could have lost that game at the end of regulation... this game we made a good comeback to avoid that sort of thing, and our defense rised up to the occasion so we didn't have to go through overtime all over again.

I was wrong about Chris McCord not being as much a factor in this one... although he didn't have any long runs, he had a lot of scores.  Props to Quarles for that beautiful play where Cade handed off to Andrew Clement who promptly ran over to give it to Alex Rouse, who then stepped back and lofted it to a streaking Tyler Gaskin for a memorable score.  They should try to do that kind of thing more often.

Alex Rouse had a memorable performance in this one.  He didn't get to play much at quarterback all year until this game.  Now he can always tell his wee ones someday that "I played quarterback and sparked the Maryville Red Rebels to a win over Knoxville Central in the quarterfinals!  I threw a touchdown and ran for 60-something yards!"

Hopefully we will bring our "A" game to Morristown West next week.  That's a team we simply can't make any mistakes against.

West will need to bring their "A" game too. They did dig deep and drive 92 yards in the 4th quarter for the winning score. Ate up over 9 minutes on the clock and gave Greeneville the ball back with 57 seconds left.

Then after they got a first down, Greenway fumbled (?? I was talking with a fella I knew from way back over in Rutledge so I didn't see the turnover) and West ran it back for the coup de grace. They got a celebration penalty and the kicker made the 33-yard PAT.

Next week at Burke-Toney will be a great one and I plan to be there.

Edited by KevB1990

lol no kidding Kev....Maryville didnt necissarilly come out slow, just didnt execute early like we should. I think that Maryville was exaclty where they wanted Central to be at halftime.....thinking they are gonna roll over the rebels... then in less than four minutes into the 3rd quarter we score twice to give us the lead back. Also, Tyler Gaskin ripped Cassen Jackson a new one.

Another classic. Maryville came out and really blitzed them to start the second half after trailing 17-7 at the half. 65 yard drive for a score. Another score after a turnover and another one after a blocked punt. 21 unanswered points. Missed a great chance to put it away in the fourth quarter when a wide open receiver dropped one in the end zone that would have made it 35-17. Maryville did a better job on Jackson than they did on Helton. However they did pressure him and really disrupted their passing game as a result. It is hard to beat a good team twice in a month but we managed to pull it off. Congratulations to Central on their season. The posters from Central who said early on that they would selling Central State Championship T shirts after our game with Carter were having a three for one sale after the game. And Tyler Gaskin gave Cassen Jackson an idea what college ball will be like when he knocked him into the middle of next week late in the game.

Good luck Rebels next week against Morristown West. Be prepared for the extreme home cooking coming your way at Burk-Toney stadium.

GO REBELS !!!

Good luck Rebels next week against Morristown West. Be prepared for the extreme home cooking coming your way at Burk-Toney stadium.

GO REBELS !!!

:(

Brah,

I ain't a West fan, but TSSAA assigns refs from an association not used by either team...home-cooking? Are you kidding me?

:(

Yeah i dont know about those refs though.....they always seem to feel sorry for the other team or something. Maryville played a near perfect (penalty free) game. They did not get much help from the refs, just like always.....but it seemed that, just like always, there were a few contriversial calls........like in the third quarter when Central was driving and threw the deep ball and i think the reciever had it for maybe a millisecond before arrington drove him into the ground and the ball was out before he ever had possesion and they called it a catch. And then there was the changing of the officials minds in the fourth when central dropped a punt and we recovered, which the officials signaled, then nearly a minute later chnaged their minds.....what the heck was that. Overall though, i do have to say that the refs did do a pretty good job.