Boyd vs. CAK

bucsfan

I hope the boyd players aren't as overconfident as you are krp.  If they are then yall are both in for a big shock.  I am not saying CAK will win just that i think you will be surpised.

CHOW

For the record... KRP is from SP.

I think everyone knows where I'm from. It's never been a secret. I am going to drop the argument for Now. I'll be back on when I get back from the game Friday night to say I told you so. I hope you will be here too. This was region 3 year one way or the other. I had hoped it would be the other since it's not I guess I'll have pull for the one left.

Edited by krp

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its nearly impossible for either side of teams to make a prediction on this one. cak fans know near to nothing about this boyd team. and the same goes for boyd fans and the cak team. they havnt competed against each other and they havn't competed against teams that have played each other. i dont think you can write cak off like everyone is doing. i dont doubt that this boyd team is good. but how can you all say it will be a blowout without even seeing cak play.

You are right… it is difficult to compare.

As I said in a previous post, If the BUC's look past CAK they could make an early exit.

Here is what I think makes these folks post a large point spread:

South Pittsburg beat Watertown 61 - 0

Watertown beat Midway 34 - 13

CAK lost to Midway 34 - 24 during the season and beat Midway 17 - 16 in the playoffs

Boyd Buchanan beat SP twice 24 - 6 During the season and 20 - 7 in the playoffs.

So, to follow through with the logic:

CAK is about even with Midway (one point better when it really counted and 10 points down in the first meeting)

Watertown beat Midway by three touchdowns. This makes Watertown 3 touchdowns better than CAK

SP beat Watertown 61 - 0. Roughly 9 touchdowns better that Watertown.

BBS beat SP twice by 2+ touchdowns.

So, following logic… BBS is 2 touchdowns better than a team (SP) that is 9 touchdowns better than a team (Watertown) that is 3 touchdowns better than a team (Midway) that split 2 games with, and seem to be pretty even with a team (CAK)

Also, someone mentioned BBS has lost 2 games. True.

The first loss was the second game of the season against Baylor (DII Private) 12 - 6.

The second loss 26 - 12 was to Goodpasture (2nd place region 4 2A) a playoff team that lost to Tyner (1st place region 3 2A) in the second round and Tyner lost in the third round to David Lipscomb (12-0 1st place region 4 2A). By the way last year's BBS team was the only loss the defending 2A state champions David Lipscomb have in the last 2 years.

BBS has wins over 2 3A teams that made it to the playoffs and 1 4A that made it to the playoffs. BBS has no 1A losses. CAK has lost 4 games to 1A teams.

This is a pretty strong case for a big win prediction. However, I firmly believe that on any given night any given team can win. I think for CAK to win they will need to play their best game of the season and Boyd will have to play their worst. If BBS plays their best to CAK's worst the point spread could be bad. However, if they both play their best it should be a great game to watch.

Oh yes… I don't think the man upstairs cares who wins this game. If you are praying for a win, I think you need to check your priorities. After all this is just a game. Pray for no injuries or pray for our soldiers in Iraq.

Edited by smithke

smithke, i understand your logic in that explanation. but i still dont think that you can justify this point spread people are predicting. the way you explained it makes senese, but it doesn't call for boyd to be a 9 touchdown favorite. as you said any given night any team can win. sounds like boyd is pretty much invinsible. i could describe cak that way too. the fact is, having never seen these two teams play each other you cant match them up. you cant say if caks D will stop Boyds offense. you cant say if Boyds D will stop caks offense. its not possible to tell. you all can think Boyd is the powerhouse that you say they are but im gonna have to see it to believe it. i also agree with what you said about praying for a win. i dont think either team is praying for a win. maybe praying that if its Gods will they will win. and praying for safety.

Edited by ATY

geez SMITHKE,

what a team, dang, judging by your description, it sounds as if boyd has a roster full of future heisman winners. perhaps boyd should be playing maryville, or maybe even vanderbilt to level the playing field. i am not doubting that boyd has a great football team, but that is a heckuva descriptin you posted there.

I never implied that they walk on water, are the best team in the state or should be playing at the college level. A question was posted and I answered it a fairly as possible. I think I said that there were no super stars "future heisman winners" just a bunch of great players playing as a team.

After the game let me know if you think I over stated anything. I have been to every game and I think I gave a very objective view.

BBS has averaged 43 points scored per game and given up only 13 points per game. (9 points per game if you subtract points scored on the JV defense)

If you throw out their loss to Baylor and the loss to Goodpasture, the numbers are:

52 points scored per game and 11 points given up per game (7 points per game is you subtract points scored on the JV defense)

Offensive starters played a complete game in only 4 games. Both games that were lost and both SP games.

smithke, i understand your logic in that explanation. but i still dont think that you can justify this point spread people are predicting. the way you explained it makes senese, but it doesn't call for boyd to be a 9 touchdown favorite. as you said any given night any team can win. sounds like boyd is pretty much invinsible. i could describe cak that way too. the fact is, having never seen these two teams play each other you cant match them up. you cant say if caks D will stop Boyds offense. you cant say if Boyds D will stop caks offense. its not possible to tell. you all can think Boyd is the powerhouse that you say they are but im gonna have to see it to believe it. i also agree with what you said about praying for a win. i dont think either team is praying for a win. maybe praying that if its Gods will they will win. and praying for safety.

Thanks for the reply.

Don't get me wrong... I am not saying that BBS will win or will win by 9 touchdowns. I was giving an answer to the question about comparing the two teams.

To make any comparison you need to have a common opponent. The next approach is to compare a common opponent's opponent and so on and so forth. This is the closest set of teams that I can find. If you have another set teams please share that information.

The only folks who really know how the teams will match up are the coaches who have reviewed the tapes that they swapped.

What I did was a comparison on paper. That, if one is so incline, one could make such a prediction. However, the game is played on the field not on paper and both teams have made it to the fourth round. That makes them two of the four best 1A teams in the state this year.

Thanks for the reply.

Don't get me wrong... I am not saying that BBS will win or will win by 9 touchdowns. I was giving an answer to the question about comparing the two teams.

To make any comparison you need to have a common opponent. The next approach is to compare a common opponent's opponent and so on and so forth. This is the closest set of teams that I can find. If you have another set teams please share that information.

The only folks who really know how the teams will match up are the coaches who have reviewed the tapes that they swapped.

What I did was a comparison on paper. That, if one is so incline, one could make such a prediction. However, the game is played on the field not on paper and both teams have made it to the fourth round. That makes them two of the four best 1A teams in the state this year.

On paper that is. I don't think CAK is in the top 10 if it were settled on the field. And for sure not in the top 5. I think CPA, DCA, BOYD, EZELL and SP would all beat them easy.

I really dont think, God cares who wins a football game..............yes let us pray for safety of the players......Go Bucs.... by the way what denomination is cak?

I don,t think the players for CAK prayed for the clockkeeper to mess up at Coalfield, or for the fefs to not see the offsides by CAK against Cloudland. I doubt they prayed that the boy from Greenback would get a penalty called for taunting on Greenbacks first touchdown, or an offsides penalty later in the game that made the field goal 5 yards longer. Anybody see where I,m coming from, strange things has been happening to this team. It does seem to me there has been some devine intervention. I don,t know when it will come to an end, but if its Gods will that CAK wins, they will. I don,t know if God is dealing with an individual,the whole group or what his purpose is, but I do definately he has been behind some of the victories. GO CAK.