Double Overtime

voleagle

This year the NCAA implemented a different rule towards 2OT. Instead of 30 seconds top man wins with complete control, or bottom man wins with escape, there are two 30 second periods, so that both wrestlers can be on bottom. Even if wrestler A escapes during the first 30 second period, they continue to wrestle. Same with the 2nd 30 second period. The winner is determined by who scores the most total points in both 30 second periods. If there is a tie, then they start OT over again. Is this a good way of doing OT? Should we do this in high school?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the new NCAA approach is better, and more fair. OT is suppose to signify that the match was even up to that point. Giving the wrestler with the first points in regulation the choice in 2nd OT infers that the order of points has value when, in fact, it does not. The match is determined by how many points, not when the points were awarded. Hope high schools make the change.

Won't happen this year. I think all the coaches agree that each person taking a turn on bottom would be more fair. How do you choose who goes down first, Flip or first points?

Then there is the officials who might not like having a long day even longer especally when there might be a 1 second difference between when one person gets up and the other. Talk about home team advantage, whoever is running the clock holds the fate.

Just thought I'd play devil's advocate.

The college rule for first choice of who goes where is the first offensive point--escapes and penalties don't count, although riding time does. Also worth noting is that this requires a riding-time clock--something most high schools don't have.

In theory, the problem could be solved by setting a different length for the overtime, but what length is fair? It seems to vary by weight class--the little guys have at least a realistic shot at riding for 30 seconds, but at 275, it's pretty much a lost cause.

For high school, I would suggest keeping the current basic system, but implementing a "pie rule" (named for the "you-cut-I-choose" method of fairly splitting a piece of pie). The wrestler who scored first (or the one who lost the toss at the start of the 2nd regulation period if 0-0) may either set a time, or require his opponent to do so. Then whoever does not set the time chooses position. For example, if red says "20 seconds," green must decide whether he'd rather have 20 seconds to escape, or try to ride red for those 20 seconds.

I would like to see a change as well. So often, the heavier kids run out of steam by OT, and the whole match comes down to the coin toss. Whoever gets top just lays on his opponent. I like the current rule for the lighter weights, because it makes the matches more exciting, but I think the new proposal would be a more fair method.

I would like to see a change as well. So often, the heavier kids run out of steam by OT, and the whole match comes down to the coin toss. Whoever gets top just lays on his opponent.

Best of the West - What you say could be true for a lot of the heavyweight matches, but I must say that the State Championship heavyweight match last year between Greeneville's Crosby and Clarksville's Pennington, was absolutely the best heavyweight match I have ever seen. If you were there you saw that neither of these guys ran out of steam - on the contrary - they both were fighting tooth and nail right up to the final seconds of the double over-time. The mat was wet with sweat as they slid all around, blood from both opponents. It to me was the best match of the day, and IMO, should have received the votes for it. It has been said by some that the flip of the disc was the determining factor in the outcome of the match. Many have said the ending of the match could have swung the other way with the flip of the disc in favor of the other wrestler. We will never know, and it really doesn't matter now.

I DO AGREE THAT THIS IS A RULE THAT SHOULD BE CHANGED.

I saw that match and I thought it should of got best match. Those two guys put on a SHOW! It was an awesome display of what heavyweight can be. But I thought it could have gone either way, it all hinged on the coin flip. However, when you have two wrestlers that are that evenly matched, the luck of the coin can be the difference. I'm not saying that Pennington of Clarksville didn't earn his championship, but Crosby helped him along.

I saw that match and I thought it should of got best match. Those two guys put on a SHOW! It was an awesome display of what heavyweight can be. But I thought it could have gone either way, it all hinged on the coin flip. However, when you have two wrestlers that are that evenly matched, the luck of the coin can be the difference. I'm not saying that Pennington of Clarksville didn't earn his championship, but Crosby helped him along.

Babybearmom, You need to check your facts on who won that match. It was Crosby who won not Pennington. Now get back to the kitchen because you don't want to burn that turkey!

Edited by dblduce