Why Murfreesboro?

divepix

If you can't grow real grass, this new, fake stuff is the next best thing

Yes, Ole Miss went to it. But from talking some friends that looked at Vandy's practice field and a Miss St. Bulldog friend that knows turf (Miss St. is to turf what Auburn is to vets - LOL!) the 'new fake grass' doesn't stand the wear as much as the old carpet. Something about the little rubber 'balls' in it???? I have a hunch Middle would go to grass before the new fake stuff and why hasn't Vandy gone to it on their stadium field after they have been using it to practice on??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "new stuff" is called FieldTurf™ and would actually be cheaper to install than did Middle's current AstroTurf™ when it was laid about five years ago.

The manufacturer gives it the same lifetime as any other artificial surface. The little rubber balls are actually ground-up tire.

I took these pictures at Missouri -- http://goblueraiders.com/index.cfm?go=story&doc=2274 -- the three bottom ones will give you an idea about FieldTurf. Only costs about $750,000.

Feild Turf is a lot better than Astro Turf. It is the same as playing on real grass except it drains like Astro Turf and it doesnt wear as easy. The only disadvantage is that the ground up rubber particles get in your eyes and mouth. It is cheaper than grass and a lot cheaper than Astro Turf. A lot of high schools in California are switching to it. If they use it there where the weather is perfect than it would only make sense to use it here where the weather is the worst of anywhere.

ELA,

Within easy walking distance of Dudley Field you have: Houston's, Rio Bravo,

Chile's, Fuddruckers, Ruth's Chris. Hotels: Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn (2), Vandy Lowe's Plaza, New hotel at the back of the stadium.

RoyDMercer, Davidlimbaugh, Goldenboy - make fun of my comments, one day you might make it to middle age and not want to go back to your car and drive somewhere to eat, come back to the stadium look again for a parking place.

The best thing about MTSU is my hubbie sneaks me some of those GREAT bar-b-q sandwiches out of the hospitality room between games and at half time.

:D:DB)

I am not knocking MTSU in anyway but, if the championship games were played in Nashville (Vanderbilt or The Titans Stadium) the attendance would be higher. Thats a fact.

OK...have you seen the field at the Coliseum over the last two years? By December it looks awful, almost as bad as The Meadowlands. NFL games, TSU games, concerts, etc. Add 5, or 8 high school championship games to that mix and there wouldn't be anything but a mudpit left to play in.

I think the state championships are fine in the 'boro. For folks that have to drive further, it's like what...25 minutes more than driving to Vandy?...the TSSAA likes it and most of the people commenting on this thread like. And more importantly....I like it. ;)

I think any move to FieldTurf™ would be a good one. I've run on the stuff at Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex and it is awesome. The only thing wrong with is is that some players complain about the rubber pellets getting in your mouth, etc. But if you look at some grass fields where sand is used...it aint much worse. I don't know anything aobut the expenses of making a change, but just thought I would give my two cents on the matter.

Let's weigh these options using this week and some hypotheticals:

Memphis....................uh, no. Morristown, for instance is closer to Washington DC than it is to Memphis.

Chattanooga............... A little ice on Monteagle and nobody from the west would ever get there.

Knoxville..................... If UT was playing in the SEC title game this weekend, you wouldn't draw 5K for the 5A game with suburban teams from Memphis and Nashville playing in it. Something you have to consider. Plus, that's a long haul from Memphis.

Nashville...................... You're playing like 5th fiddle this weekend with the Titans-Colts game, the Preds vs Avalanche game, and Vandy is playing Michigan in a huge early season Big Ten-SEC basketball game Saturday night (not to mention parking would be an absolute nightmare for the 5A game, West End on Saturday night can be a zoo),and the SEC and Big 12 title games are going head to head with the late games. Nashville may be the second best place, but...............

Murfreesboro.................is the best place to have this thing by a mile. There isn't as much competition and Rutherford County will support this thing. There are good restaurants throughout the town. It is dead center geographically, the stadium is pretty nice now that it has been revamped. If you want to go out that night or the night before, Nashville is 30 minutes (maybe an hour during a rush hour) away. Ladies can make it to Hickory Hollow Mall in 25 minutes to get your X-mas shopping done.

This is the first time I've ever said this, but this thread was obviously started without a lot of thought. The TSSAA should probably think like Georgia and play this thing the week after the SECCG, because this kills the gate for those Saturday night games. All you would have to do is start the season a week later, which gets your kids an extra week out of the heat in late July.