This is the second time...

I don't want to say names, but I am discouraged by how some of the public school supporters have handled the situation. They went to the ruling body and the ruling body decided that there wasn't a problem. Instead of respecting their decision (and analyzing yourselves) ya'll decided to say that private school supporters were still wrong, and that the individuals who voted were bias.

This same thing happened when the Supreme Court sided with Brentwood Academy. You all need to take a deep breath, and realize that nonbias people also agree that there is not a problem (atleast not to the degree that ya'll think).

(I tried to be polite, so hopefully it won't get locked)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the way I see it (plain and simple). Private schools have just as much a right to field teams in the TSSAA as the publics, but the public schools should have the same rights as private schools in allowing "student-athletes" to attend whichever school they want.

I agree and a lot of public schools already have this choice. My daughter plays 3 sports in a public middle school and she has a choice of 3 different public high schools to attend just in Madison County alone. She hasn`t yet made up her mind which one she wants to attend. I think she has ruled out the private schools, but all 3 public schools are still in the running.

36-3  That's the record of privates vs. publics the last two years in the 1A and 2A playoffs.  And you think there is no problem?

Why don't you go back more than 2 years?

It is okay to have them together as long as the privates are the region doormats. However, let the privates have some success and now we have a problem.

I am hearing.. "We can't win all of the time now coaching the way we have for years… Let's find a way to get rid of the teams that are winning instead of reinventing ourselves."

In the '90s Privates won 3 1A titles it was 3 different privates.

In the '90s the public schools dominated

Trousdale County 4 titles

South Pittsburg 2 titles

Oneida 1 title

Was anyone complaining that Trousdale had some unfair advantage?

Yes… the first 4 games in the '00s will go to private schools. However it will be 3 different private schools.

Football is a funny game. In 34 years of records on the TSSAA web page a private school has won only 12 times.

Yes, the last few years look like a trend, but statistically, it will take more time to see if the trend is an anomaly or a real problem. If by 2010 no public school as won a state championship… then it may be time for a multiplier.

Edited by smithke

There is more to the complaint than just football. Let's look at the single A championships last year.

Boys Basketball - Private

Girls Basketball - Public

Baseball - Private

Softball - Private

Girls cross country - Private

Boys cross country - Private

Football - Private

Girls soccer - Private

Girls Golf - Private

Boys Golf - Private

Boys Soccer - Private

Girls Tennis - Private

Boys Tennis - Private

That's 13 state championships in 2002-2003. Private schools won 12 and public schools won 1.

The previous year the numbers were the same.

I'm not stating the reasons. I don't accuse private schools of doing anything that some public schools are not doing. Doesn't it seem odd that private schools are a minority but they DOMINATE state championships. By the way, it isn't just one school.

There is more to the complaint than just football. Let's look at the single A championships last year.

Boys Basketball - Private

Girls Basketball - Public

Baseball - Private

Softball - Private

Girls cross country - Private

Boys cross country - Private

Football - Private

Girls soccer - Private

Girls Golf - Private

Boys Golf - Private

Boys Soccer - Private

Girls Tennis - Private

Boys Tennis - Private

That's 13 state championships in 2002-2003. Private schools won 12 and public schools won 1.

I'm not stating the reasons. I don't accuse private schools of doing anything that some public schools are not doing. Doesn't it seem odd that private schools are a minority but they DOMINATE state championships. By the way, it isn't just one school.

:D

I need to clarify the statement shown. The previous year (2001-2002) the numbers were not actually the same. Private single A schools won 11 championships and public single A schools won 2 championships. Ridgeway won both boys and girls soccer.

I know there are people who will check this out so I wanted to be accurate.

Let's look at the 2000-2001 year. Single A state championships. Private schools won 10 and public schools won 3.

That means during the last three years that private single A schools have won 33 championships and public single A schools have won 6. That is a total of 85%. I don't have the figure but don't private single A schools make up less than 20% of the teams playing single A sports.

Again I am not making any accusations against private schools. It just seems there must be a difference. Do all the best coaches in all sports go to private single A schools? Do all of the best athletes just happen to attend private single A schools? Maybe it is true that the private single A schools work harder than the public schools. It just seems odd to me that walking through the front door of a private school makes you a better coach, a better athlete and a harder worker than the public opponents. Just wondering.

Let's look at the 2000-2001 year. Single A state championships. Private schools won 10 and public schools won 3.

That means during the last three years that private single A schools have won 33 championships and public single A schools have won 6. That is a total of 85%. I don't have the figure but don't private single A schools make up less than 20% of the teams playing single A sports.

Again I am not making any accusations against private schools. It just seems there must be a difference. Do all the best coaches in all sports go to private single A schools? Do all of the best athletes just happen to attend private single A schools? Maybe it is true that the private single A schools work harder than the public schools. It just seems odd to me that walking through the front door of a private school makes you a better coach, a better athlete and a harder worker than the public opponents. Just wondering.

Great post. ok, private school supporter, lets hear your coments. By the way, what percent is private vs public in 1a. If they make up about 90% of 1a school, they should have all these wins.