Best Team in the State in 2003

redskins1998

You're still going just based on a couple games. You say that you agree with me and then turn around and use those two games as the main basis for your argument. What about MBA splitting the series with DB? DB really should have won both games. You didn't include those. I just really don't think you can say with any certainty which is better by only using a couple games.

If you want, I'll be glad to post the 5A vs. D2-3A results from 2001 and 2002 as well. MBA vs. DB included.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about MBA splitting the series with DB? DB really should have won both games. You didn't include those.

That 2001 MBA teams was arguably the worst over the past 15 years. Started many sophomores and finished about fourth in the Super 7. DB finished up pretty strong. Not really a good comparison compared to BHS-BA or CBHS-Gtown, considering all four of those teams were at the top of their respective divisions.

(1) I'm not sure the TSSAA would allow it.

(2) There's the issue of football players who play basketball - such a format would hurt hoops.

Why would the TSSAA not allow it? They playoff I thought about would just add a few more games...not lengthen the season.

More games = More money = Happy TSSAA

The format I suggested would not hurt hoops any more than the current playoff system. The playoffs I am thinking about would take place right after the regular season, just as our current playoff games do. The teams who opted not to compete for the Best of the Best would go on with playoffs as usual. The teams that had thrown their hat into the ring to go for ALL THE MARBLES would be bracketed and begin their playoff at the same time as the Classified Schools begin their playoffs.

And forget the terminology 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, and 5A. My playoff would have no bearing on classification. These would just be the teams that wanted to go for it all in any given year. I think that could really be interesting.

My fault - I overlooked the part about this proposed format occurring after the regular season.

Regarding DII-AAA versus DI-5A (and DI-4A), here's a link to a thread that some of us were on back in April:

http://boards.coacht.com/index.php?showtop...40195&hl=baylor

At the time (this was prior to the 2003 season), I did a quick-and-dirty check of the records. This is what I was able to find (1997-2002):

MBA 6-1 vs. 5A, 8-0 vs. 4A

BA 5-1 vs. 5A, 2-0 vs. 4A

McCallie 7-1 vs. 5A, 3-1 vs. 4A

MUS 4-1 vs. 5A, 4-1 vs. 4A

CBHS 9-6 vs. 5A, 1-1 vs. 4A

Ryan 4-4 vs. 5A, 10-0 vs. 4A

Baylor 4-4 vs. 5A, 4-3 vs. 4A

TOTAL 39-18 vs. 5A (.684), 32-6 vs. 4A (.842)

The post that contains this information is on page 1.

What most of you say though is that ALL of the Super 7 would be tops over the best teams in 5A. This simply isn't the case. You can give me instances where some of the top teams in D-II AAA can beat some of the lowly teams in 5A. You can give me some instances where BA beat Brentwood or CBHS beat Germantown. There will never be a defintive answer, but I just think that our competition would prepare us better. Guys, you have to admit that in D-II AAA there are typically two good teams, one that's close to them, and then the rest are just average. That's why the ENTIRE class couldn't hang with ALL of our top teams in 5A.

What most of you say though is that ALL of the Super 7 would be tops over the best teams in 5A. This simply isn't the case. You can give me instances where some of the top teams in D-II AAA can beat some of the lowly teams in 5A. You can give me some instances where BA beat Brentwood or CBHS beat Germantown. There will never be a defintive answer, but I just think that our competition would prepare us better. Guys, you have to admit that in D-II AAA there are typically two good teams, one that's close to them, and then the rest are just average. That's why the ENTIRE class couldn't hang with ALL of our top teams in 5A.

Your right, only three or four teams in DII would have beaten your Rebels this year.

Duh. You have more teams and therefore more good teams. I'd be willing to bet that 5A competition corresponds to the percentages you assign the Super Seven. 2/7 to 3/7 of the league is either really good or pretty good. But you yourself claim that in DII-AAA, those below the top 3 are "just average." Our worst teams are average. Your worst teams are far below average. Thus, team-for-team the Super Seven is a better league.

You're still going just based on a couple games. You say that you agree with me and then turn around and use those two games as the main basis for your argument. What about MBA splitting the series with DB? DB really should have won both games. You didn't include those. I just really don't think you can say with any certainty which is better by only using a couple games.

Basing it on a couple of games is better than basing it on none.

As for: "I know what you're gonna say: "schedule us!" Well sorry guys, but we have to play more than four region games and two games against D-II AA in our region. It doesn't exactly leave much room open on the schedule and like I've said before, I'd rather play the teams we might meet sometime down the road in the playoffs or a "rivalry" game (FHS vs 4A Columbia, for example). 5A teams that schedule anything below a 4A team bother me. If your a 5A team that can fit a D-II AAA team on your schedule, more power to ya. But it's not as easy for us (5A) as it is for you (Super 7).

Horse manure!

MBA, yes. The others itzme, I'm not so sure. I'm assuming you mean MBA, BA, CBHS and who else? McCallie?

Yes. A bit of rhetorical overkill, I admit, but your guys would be physically outmatched against the first three.

Man...I'm trying to move on to basketball, but , to quote Michael Corleone, "Every time I think I'm out, they just keep pulling me back in again!"

Edited by itzme

The Best Team in the state is the Huntingdon Mustangs.

They did not only win, but they played with their soul. All

through the year these boys were the under dogs. When

they went up against Milan, alot thought they didn't have

a chance. Milan even went as far as reserving Murray's

field to practice on. In my opinion, you don't count your

chickens before they hatch!! So when Huntingdon went

to reserve the field up in Murray they had a surprise, it

was reserved by Milan, which didn't need it anymore.

I am proud of this "under dog" team", Huntingdon, they

showed what they are (they don't give up) and how you

Can win if your soul and mind are in the right place! Way

to go MUSTANGS!!! Great season.