Best Team in the State in 2003

redskins1998

lol, way to catch the point. He was asking why the HECK Ken Massey would be biased.....because A. He runs a free site, so he's obviously not biased financially....and B. He's in VIRGINIA! He's not biased based on his location either.

Thanks for elaborating on my original question, Crossings. You hit the nail on the head.

I think we need to differentiate between "polls" and "ratings". Polls are much more likely to be biased - a voter may be pro/con a private/public school; may be from a certain school; may have been jilted by a girl from a particular school; etc.

Ratings are less likely to be biased. Ratings consist of generally computer-generated output based on actual results. Different ratings may have different quirks (e.g., some ratings may take margin of victory into consideration; others may not), but ratings really have no human element, other than the initial human element that set up the initial database. However, that element is mitigated over time by actual results. The voter in a poll can vote a winless team #1 all season; a computer-generated rating system will punish such a loser accordingly.

And that all goes back to my question - why is there bias in the Massey and Moore ratings systems? People can question ratings all they want, and in cases rightfully so, but, unlike polls dictated by biased voters, ratings "rate" all teams on the same unbiased criteria.

Mav (I know you're still looking), I've never dissed anyone's opinion of who's number one. I've only offered my opinions as to who is.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, ratings can't be exact either. Strength of schedule for instance, can be inflated for a more media established area or on the other hand, they could be totally wrong simply not knowing enough about a team. At the high school level, polls and rating systems are not nearly as accurate as National college polls and rating systems. At that level, there is so much more money to reseach these issues. Even still, have you seen the college polls and rating systems lately? Many of you would laugh at the computer generated ones.

Edited by bud

Your full of it Pigeons4life or whatever. Hillsboro or Melrose or Maryville or MBA could beat AE. Maryville whooped up on them in a scrimmage this year. So don't hand me that garage that no one is as good as you guys. Because its bull.

Oh NO! Come on now! Maryville didn't beat AE! AE beat Maryville 14-7. Get your score right! Its like this, if Maryville want to play AE in a real game,"Call Coach Stevens he's always looking for some team to play. Come and getcha some!

Now I know Fulton and AC will be with me on this one: If you don't think our region is the toughest in the State, put us on your schedule and get you a taste of it! AE went 12-1 only losing to Fulton; Fulton went 14-1 only lost to AE; AC went 9-3 only losing to AE twice and Fulton. Come on now, if you want some of this region get your coach to call one of our coaches! We don't bow down to any team and that includes Maryville!

AS Fulton puts it: "We Ain't Never Scared" As I put it: "Don't start NO stuff it won't be NO stuff" and last but not least as AC put it: "Go Mavs"

But, ratings can't be exact either. Strength of schedule for instance, can be inflated for a more media established area or on the other hand, they could be totally wrong simply not knowing enough about a team. At the high school level, polls and rating systems are not nearly as accurate as National college polls and rating systems. At that level, there is so much more money to reseach these issues. Even still, have you seen the college polls and rating systems lately? Many of you would laugh at the computer generated ones.

Of course, ratings cannot be exact, but don't you have to admit, throwing all biases aside, that they are pretty darn close? Look at CBHS - they played the DIIAAA champion, the DIIAAA runner-up (twice), a 4A semifinalist that played the 4A champ closer than the runner-up, and the 5A champ. Without saying which of those 4 teams (MBA, BA, Melrose, Germantown) is the best, couldn't we realistically say that those would be five tough games? I would - I can't think of anyone who played five tougher games - and that's why I'm not surprised two independent ratings systems have CBHS with the top-rated schedule in the state.

I still do not understand how SOS can be biased as it relates to the media. I'm open to elaboration on that topic, though. DB is consistently rated high; Maryville is consistently rated high; Milan is consistently rated high. There may be the perception that larger media markets have more higher rated teams, but you have to consider bigger markets have more teams and bigger schools (and while bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, we do have classifications for a reason).

A high school poll/rating system cannot be as accurate as a college poll/ratings system. NCAA DI has 117 schools; the TSSAA has 300+ schools. But, I think we need to give the Earl Nalls and Sonny Moores and Ken Masseys a little more credit. Do you think they're going to be that far off, when the 2004 season is over, if they have a Riverdale as one of the top 2 5A teams or a Maryville as one of the top 2 4A teams when the preseason rolls around next year? Maybe we can make a mental note to track how they do next year (preseason vs. final).

Could anyone provide me, and those posting on this thread, with the win/loss record of DII-AAA vs. 5A this year. I'd be interested to know since the general consensus is that these two divisions are the top two our state has to offer. I firmly believe that the DII-AAA state champion would beat the 5A or 4A state champion 9 out of 10 times. i also find it interesting that since MBA handily beat Lincoln County and Oakland a few years ago, no 5A or 4A team, except for Dobyns-Bennet(which were two fo the most exciting high school games I've ever seen- trust me I played in both), will schedule MBA. I really wish we(MBA) could have played Hillsboro this year, but for some reason I don't think MBA will ever play Hillsboro for reason I don't need to mention. Anyways, I don't know enough about Division 1 to give insight, but I do know that MBA, BA, and Christian Brothers are in the top 6-7 best teams in the state. Thank you.

Rather than continue the bickering, why don't we explore some ways to settle this question of "Who is the best in the state?" I have been thinking about this a little today and feel that if all of us who are so interested in deciding who's the best would put all this energy to something constructive, we might come up with a feasible solution.

An idea....how about have all the schools declare in the spring whether or not they want to compete with the "Best of the Best." Then, after the regular season is over that next fall, those teams would be put into a playoff brackett by themselves. This would mean they would be giving up their chance to compete in their normal classification...be it 5A, 4A, or whatever.

That would save a school from having to decide to "play up" a classification or two before they know what talent they'll have each year. They could do it on a year to year basis, so ANY school/coach who thinks he has a chance to be the best of the best could throw his hat into that ring.

Again, this was just a thought I had today and haven't really delved into it very deeply. But with all the brainpower bantering this issue around, we should be able to come up with something...other than just arguing with each other.

DII-AAA vs. 5A

Baylor: 0-1

L @Franklin County 15-3

Brentwood Academy: 2-0

W @Centennial 34-17

W @Oakland 50-20

Christian Brothers: 1-0

W @Germantown 21-10

Father Ryan: 1-1

W Franklin County 20-19

L @Brentwood 45-0

McCallie: 0-0

Memphis University School: 0-1

L @Whitehaven 35-21

Montgomery Bell Academy: 1-0

W @Lavergne 29-0

Overall record:

Super Seven 5, 5A 3

Edited by WesVols

Rather than continue the bickering, why don't we explore some ways to settle this question of "Who is the best in the state?" I have been thinking about this a little today and feel that if all of us who are so interested in deciding who's the best would put all this energy to something constructive, we might come up with a feasible solution.

An idea....how about have all the schools declare in the spring whether or not they want to compete with the "Best of the Best." Then, after the regular season is over that next fall, those teams would be put into a playoff brackett by themselves. This would mean they would be giving up their chance to compete in their normal classification...be it 5A, 4A, or whatever.

That would save a school from having to decide to "play up" a classification or two before they know what talent they'll have each year. They could do it on a year to year basis, so ANY school/coach who thinks he has a chance to be the best of the best could throw his hat into that ring.

Again, this was just a thought I had today and haven't really delved into it very deeply. But with all the brainpower bantering this issue around, we should be able to come up with something...other than just arguing with each other.

Great idea, but you are missing the point a bit. The 5A schools already decided they did not want to do this...hence DII.