Best Team in the State in 2003

redskins1998

If you consider MBA to be the best DII has to offer, here are the teams I would like to of seen you play the past 10 yrs.

Riverdale

Germantown

Dobyns Bennett

Oak Ridge

Franklin

Brentwood

Maryville

Hillsboro

Oakland

Fulton

Lincoln Co.

JCM

and probably a few others(had to add that so not to offend anyone)

You might win 50% of these games, but then again you might not.

But then again beating anyone in reg. season does not mean you could do it in a playoff game. That's been proven 100's of times.

Here's what I could dig up over the last 20 years:

Riverdale 2-0 (reg season)

Germantown 0-1 (3rd rd playoffs)

Dobyns Bennett 1-1 (reg season)

Oak Ridge DNP

Franklin 1-0 (first rd playoffs)

Brentwood 2-0 (reg season)

Maryville DNP

Hillsboro 12-2 (reg season)

Oakland 2-0 (reg season)

Fulton DNP

JCM 1-1 (both playoffs)

Lincoln Co 3-0 (reg season)

Total 23-5

Edited by Redtwin

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that MBA won zero TSSAA state football titles while there were three classes. While I greatly respect the fact that MBA and Ryan played up to the highest level while Brentwood Academy cherry-picked, the fact remains.

MBA did not win any championships while playing up classifications under the playoff system. They lost to the eventual state champion multiple times, Some would argue that MBA did not reach the level of its current teams until the early nineties or late eighties. They got knocked out of the playoffs by BA in 95 and 96, been in DII ever since. Not to mention that if DB is gonna claim state titles in 64 and earlier that MBA can claim titles before the playoff format such as the clinic bowl in 50, 54, 55, 56,66,67, 68, and 70.

Also,

Oakland, Brentwood, Franklin, Fulton and Hillsboro never won titles under the old format either. DB hasn't won one since 64.

Edited by Redtwin

Redtwin, has MBA ever beat any of those team in a state playoff game ? A state playoff game is much different than a reg. season game. I believe MBA proved that this year(MBA-BA), as did Oak Ridge-DB, And Riverdale-Lincoln Co., the list goes on & on.

To be considered the best in the state, you have to win in the playoffs and on the field. Otherwise be satisified with being Div.II State Championions.

The teams that MBA has beaten in the playoffs are:

gallatin

franklin

jackson central merry

millington

henry county

maplewood

mcgavok

stratford

glencliff

The teams MBA has lost to in the playoffs:

gallatin

ba

germantown

jackson central merry

stratford

covington

The teams MBA beat in bowl games

Hendersonville (tobacco)

Mt. Juliet (Nurseryman's)

Columbia (pioneer)

The teams MBA lost to in bowl games

Tullahoma (Butter)

There were a couple of times since 1970 where mba went 8-2 or 9-2, but didn't go to the playoffs, but played in the tobacco bowl,pioneer bowl, or nurseryman's bowl. How did that work?

Scrappy, you are right. Oakland won in 1984 in AAA.

Edited by Redtwin

Twin, used to be that only league champions qualified for the playoffs. The bowl games were much more important then. It was the mid-80s before they expanded - first to just two teams per district. There weren't any 2-8 or 3-7 clubs in the postseason back then. I'd venture that MBA went 'bowling' because of Father Ryan.

Twin, used to be that only league champions qualified for the playoffs. The bowl games were much more important then. It was the mid-80s before they expanded - first to just two teams per district. There weren't any 2-8 or 3-7 clubs in the postseason back then. I'd venture that MBA went 'bowling' because of Father Ryan.

It looks like you'd venture right. The big red lost to Overton or Ryan in those years. How terrible that must have been. I wouldn't know though because Ryan never beat a football team I was on. :P

Redtwin, So your saying MBA has won 50% of the playoff games against Div.I teams ? That is a big difference in the % of wins in reg. season against Div I teams. That is the point I was making.

MBA is actually 12-9 against DI teams in the playoffs. There were a couple that I had left out, so I edited that post. That's 57% in the playoffs, 75% in bowl games, and 82% in the regular season, which averages out to 71% of their games overall.

Edited by Redtwin