Best Team in the State in 2003

redskins1998

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Does that have anything to do with football?" What a question!!!

No one has answered a question I posed earlier. How many MBA and/or BA starters are receiving "scholarships" (your word)? You don't even have to name them...just tell how many.

As I am sure you are aware, individual personal financial information is protected by privacy laws. You can get some idea of what the percentage of the student body at any D2 school is on financial aid by logging on to guidestar.org and doing a search.

Varsity athletes are not separated from the total student population in the financial aid numbers. Consequently, your question cannot be answered using information that is available to the general public.

rollredroll, yes, you did. I remember that, but my post was for a newcomer who evidently didn't see our prior exchange.

And just for the record, I'll say it again....I am ALL FOR private schools...operated however they see fit. That's the beauty of being PRIVATE. My daughter went to a private school and I still support them. I am all for BA and MBA. I was pulling for MBA as hard as I could when they played Trinity earlier in the year. I think MBA and BA represent our state well when they play out of state competition....and I hope they beat everyone they play. I'd love to see MBA end De LaSalle's winning streak.

All that said, I guess I must be in the extreme minority in that I can fully support private schools and I can say that year in and year out, they are probably the best teams in the state. I have NO problem with that. BUT, as a supporter of private schools, I can also see that they have an advantage over public schools that makes competition fair...in their favor.

Anyone who says that hand picking your student athletes and giving financial aid has nothing to do with a winning football program....well, they have their head in the sand.

GO BIG RED!!!

I have followed this thread since the beginning and you guys have made some really good arguments, even though they might have swayed off the subject now and then.

Let me tell you the game I would have liked to have seen played this year and maybe it can be scheduled for next year: MBA vs. South Panola. MBA's Mississippi opponent this year, Southaven, was a bit overrated as they were very one-dimensional. USA Today #11 ranked South Panola (15-0), however, were very balanced and one of the most explosive teams I've heard about. #11 vs. #18 would have been awesome to watch. Maybe MBA can get that one scheduled in the upcoming years as both teams usually do an excellent job of reloading.

Edited by Saintdog5510

Let me tell you the game I would have liked to have seen played this year and maybe it can be scheduled for next year: MBA vs. South Panola. MBA's Mississippi opponent this year, Southaven, was a bit overrated as they were very one-dimensional. USA Today #11 ranked South Panola (15-0), however, were very balanced and one of the most explosive teams I've heard about. #11 vs. #18 would have been awesome to watch.

The scores of those two schools versus Southaven were similar:

MBA 45, Southaven 13

South Panola 48, Southaven 11

MBA is locked in for its schedule next year as of now. MBA travels to Louisville to play Trinity and will host Southaven.

I have followed this thread since the beginning and you guys have made some really good arguments, even though they might have swayed off the subject now and then. 

Let me tell you the game I would have liked to have seen played this year and maybe it can be scheduled for next year:  MBA vs.  South Panola.  MBA's Mississippi opponent this year, Southaven, was a bit overrated as they were very one-dimensional.  USA Today #11 ranked South Panola (15-0), however, were very balanced and one of the most explosive teams I've heard about.  #11 vs. #18 would have been awesome to watch.  Maybe MBA can get that one scheduled in the upcoming years as both teams usually do an excellent job of reloading.

Here is a link to a post by Flyby earlier in the year that presents an interesting idea. Talk about some great football! South Panola would be an excellent prospect for this league if was open to public and private.

Super South League

Edited by gobigred

Let's not argue the "biggest" class. I'd like to see a playoff bracket for those who from one year to the next may want to play for "all the marbles." Forget 5A, 4A, or ANY A. Just opt in during spring practice for the upcoming year. Having to set schedules a couple or more years in advance prevents some of the state's best teams each year from settling it on the field.

Here is a link to a post by Flyby earlier in the year that presents an interesting idea. Talk about some great football! South Panola would be an excellent prospect for this league if was open to public and private.

Super South League

That would be an awesome league. Here's a look at South Panola's stats.South Panola article

They had Division 1 players all over the field and were never challenged all year long against some pretty tough opponents like Starkville, Clarksdale, and Oak Grove.

Here is a link to a post by Flyby earlier in the year that presents an interesting idea.  Talk about some great football!  South Panola would be an excellent prospect for this league if was open to public and private.

Super South League

That would be an awesome league. Here's a look at South Panola's stats.South Panola article

They had Division 1 players all over the field and were never challenged all year long against some pretty tough opponents like Starkville, Clarksdale, and Oak Grove.

South Panola would be a tough game for MBA (or anyone else). However, after reading South Panola's coach's comments, I'd say MBA's Jeff Rutledge would kick this guy's butt in a humility contest.