Best Team in the State in 2003

redskins1998

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What were those comments RedRoll ?

I thought he (SP coach) could have been a little more humble about his team. Jeff Rutledge, when often asked about MBA's national ranking on his radio coach's show, always said, "I don't know how you can compare a team from California to Texas to Tennessee and so on". He always dismissed the rankings. This South Panola coach seems to eat the rankings up.

The South Panola coach also labeled his team "as the best team to ever don pads in Mississippi". He may think it, he may be right; he shouldn't go popping off to the media about it.

Thinking about that Super South League, the only way to really see how teams from different states stack up against each other is to schedule them.

The best way, which would be impossible to do, is how the basketball and baseball teams do - schedule a tournament of sorts with teams from all around playing each other. It could be done with the past year's state champions playing each other or just traditional powers. With football this is impossible, but could you imagine:

At Titans Stadium -

South Panola vs. MBA

Independence Charlotte vs. Germantown

Camden County, Ga vs. Brentwood Academy

Elder Cincinnati vs. Riverdale

Wayne County, MS vs. Hillsboro

Little Rock Central vs. CBHS

Some national profile teams and some locally who are state champs in their respective states.

These are my picks for four representatives from each state:

GA:

Stephenson

Valdosta

Marist

Tucker

NC:

Independence

Richmond

Providence

CCDS

SC:

Byrnes

Gaffney

Summerville

Rock Hill

Fl:

Lincoln

Bolles

Glades Central

Miami Northwestern

Al:

Hoover

Daphne

Opelika

Mtn Brook

MS:

South Panola

Starkville

Jackson Prep

Moss Point

TN:

MBA

BA

Riverdale/Lincoln Co - whoever wins that year

Maryville

My picks are based on consistant performance, not just this year

Edited by Redtwin

From Mississippi, Jackson Prep is usually the best of the private schools, but private schools in Mississippi have never been that great compared to the ones in Tennessee. MUS consistently goes and plays Prep and beats them handily each year. Also, Picayune is good, but not my pick as consistently one of the top four in Mississippi. Louisville, Clarksdale, Moss Point, or Vicksburg Warren Central are traditionally better and have all won at least one state title.