Popularity of the sport

gopher15

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though my opinion on the matter is quite irrelevant, you asked for it so here it is. The reason why the sport isn't very popular is because of many reasons. One reason would be because many people believe our sport is some what homosexual. When i try to get poeple to come out for our team the response seems to be the same, "let me get this straight, you want me to wear a tiny

spandex out fit, go out on a mat and engage in close contact with another person wearing the same skimpy outfit." Of course anyone who had ever participated in organized WRESTLING will know this is completely false. There is not another sport out there that is more hetterosexual. I also believe that society in general is lazy and powder-puffed. Wrestling is the most physically grueling sport out there and quite possible the most physically demanding sport in the world. So i believe that all together the main reason for lack of popularity is FEAR.

I think its stupid that people think wrestling is a gay sport when we're out there trying to inflict as much pain as possible on our competition to make them want to give up....To me it just can't be a gay sport when we're doing that...just my opinion though...People can take it for what its worth

Guys,

Back in the seventies, us wrestlers at Hixson took on other athletes from other sports and we all learned that there are different kinds of conditioning. Granted we got tired playing basketball, football, soccer and boxing, but none of us got sick like the other athletes got on the mat; And may I add, sick like throwing-up after 30-60 seconds. We all agreed the most challenging and physically demanding sport was wrestling, perhaps some of us saw swimming and boxing as a close second, at the highest level of competition.

Another note regarding popularity: Many times, we got nearly as many fannies in the stands as our basketball team and I believe it was due to mutual respect and school tradition encouraged by the coaches and even at student level, and was strongly supported or even promoted by administration. Ronnie Carter can help in this area and of course has in the past.

One other thing that could bring more luster to the sport would be to allow the winners of each division wrestle a post season duel (perhaps only for the sake of fun and unofficial comparison). Perhaps the coaches agree as to the terms and conditions which could include, weight, refs, location and whether a particular DI (or DII) wrestler participates when they previously transferred over on scholarship, and most especially after learning the sport at the other school's feeder program?

By the way, I watched Eddie create this kind of controversy when I lived in Chattanooga in the eighties. He still loves this stuff, but this is includes all sports.

Dave Sommers/Blosser

Smyrna

This a message board!! You are allowed to leave any message you want (as long as it is not offensive). So actually you are not allowed to leave ANY message. Who decides if they are offensive? What about defensive? Can you post those messages, if so, then that is not fair to the offensive poster (which by the way, Shaq is da best at that).

Would Shaq make a good wrestler? Maybe they just need some more entertaining stars for grappling to be more popular.

Eddie never lived in Chattanoga. I think he is from Cleaveland.

paper,

you can post what you want, but that was some senseless banter there!

It just all depends on how you look at it. It is really quite realitive to this whole thread. Gopher 15 started this thread so he should probably be the one to comment how relative are sensless it was. Thanks.

Are there any words that rhyme with wrestling? I am trying to write a poem, but can not get a past the first line yet. Thanks again.