IS UT INTERESTED IN ANY TN QB's?

ERA

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not worried about tax dollars. I just want the best quarterbacks we can get no matter where he comes from BUT....It sure would be nice to know that Tennessee can produce top QB's like some of the other states. Don't you find it odd that Kentucky keeps producing some highly rated QB's over the years?

I was listening to The Zone today and the guest (sorry, forgot his name) mentioned the QB's Tennessee was interested in. The biggest being from Kentucky. No mention from any Tennessee high schools. Is there anyone getting noticed by UT in our state?

I get sick of hearing people complain that Tennessee don't recruit in state well the fact is on this years roster they have (47) the most from any state they list Jason Hall who played at McCallie as being from Marietta,GA (I thought Private schools don't recruit?);)

The TRUTH IS NO Tennessee isn't after any QB in Tennessee as for as a

scholorship offer goes if someone wants to walkon from

Tennessee the VOLS would probably be glad to have them.

There just isn't any QB that I know of in the state who

could step on campus at Tennessee and face SEC teams! If Tennessee just recruited in state players then they would battle Vandy & kentucky for last palce in the SEC East!

The VOLS over the years have been able for the most part to hand pick what players they want from the state and the ones they don't!

So for this year the already have (4) Commitments from in state players they are:

UPDATED!!

DE ... DeMarcus Stevens (Fulton HS) Knoxville, (TN) 6-3/210/4.4

OL ... Ramon Foster (Ripley HS) Ripley, (TN) 6-7/285

S ... Ellix Wilson (Melrose HS) Memphis, (TN) 6-0/205/4.50

S ... Ryan Karl (Battle Ground Academy) Franklin, (TN) 6-0/205/4.50

DT ... Demonte Bolden (Tyner HS) Chattanooga, (TN) 6-4/295

Here is a list of a few they are also interested in although are waiting on more highly rated players before offering the following!

FB David Holbert, TN- Has set a visit to Tennessee for Dec 12th. AUburn, LSU (Jan 23), and UF (Jan 16) round out his top 4. Tennessee is in good shape here

DE Kevin Mainard, TN- Still hoping that Tennessee will offer. Alabama (Jan 23), Auburn (Jan 16), and Colorado (Nov 29) lead.

RB Levonte Barber, TN- Still waiting on a Tennessee offer. South Carolina, Wake, and the Vols lead Louisville and UNC.

Tennessee with Casey Clausen graduating and no one returning

with real game experiance needs two QBs in this recruiting

class and chances are it will be from these four! Look for

J. Banks or Rick Clausen to start in Spring Practice!

Here is a list of the Quarterbacks Tennessee is after and will sign two of them!

QB Brian Brohm, KY- There is nothing new to report witht

Brohm. Louisville & Tennessee lead. The Vols with a slight edge.

Has no official visit set up to Tennessee yet, but has visited here unofficially

several times. One of the Top 5 QB's in the Nation!

QB Erik Ainge, OR- Absolutely blown away by his visit. This

guy is not some second tier QB. He is that good. If he

played in Pennsylvania or in SoCal, he'd be national top

7-ish. He is good. Said he doesnt care who else signs with

Tennessee and could be close to commiting.

Nephew of former NBA player Danny Ainge

QB Brent Schaeffer, FL- Tennessee is looking very good for

Schaeffer. is trying to set up a visit to Tennessee for Dec

12th. His team is still alive in the playoffs, so that is

limiting his ability to visit. A lot of people call him the

Micheal Vick of Florida.

QB Chase Patton, MO- Another guy who had a great visit.

Still going to Iowa, Kansas St, and Mizzou. Basically, if

this guy can get over the Missouri pressure, then he'll

probably be a Vol.

Brian Brohm is as big a prospect as Peyton Manning was when he came

out of High School he is the #1 prospect the Vols want if Tennessee gets

him or Patton look for one of them to be starting by the

middle of the season!!

Edited by Sequatchie

First of all, tax dollars do not go to support the UT football program. The UT football program is a totally self supporting entity of the UTAD. Monies are generated by ticket sales, TV/Radio revenue, apparel and other souvenier item royalties, and donations by supporters. Even the scholarships are paid for by those chosing to donate to the Volunteer Athletic Scholarship Fund. Not one dime of tax money goes towards UT football support.

That said, UT is a nationally competitive program, and thus has to recruit the very best players possible, no matter where they are from. The fact remains that there is not a quarterback of the quality of those I mentioned in our state this year. The program has to go get the very best - period.

I love Tennessee high school football and I, too, get tired of people whining that UT doesn't recruit and sign Tennessee high school players. Year after year the UT roster proves that notion false.

You guys are going to have to give it a rest. You are misreading my point. I'm not complaining that they are not recruiting from Tennessee. I'm pointing out that even as much as Tennesseans claim to love football more than most any other state, there simply doesn't seem to be the element of good Quarterback stock in this state. Call it genetics, training, coaching or just timing. There really aren't that good of QB's in this state to recruit D1. I'm pointing fingers at our development in our school systems, not the UNIVERSITY! :D

The fact is, as any other D 1 school, they get who they want. Every SEC school will have more players on roster from the home state than any other because of walk ons. That does not prove anything about recruiting the state or not. Many talented kids out of Memphis stay there or go to Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, or Arkansas. It also appears to me that many kids from Nashville also go to Vandy, Alabama, or Auburn. The fact is they lose the recruiting battle sometimes. To answer the posts question, they are not looking at QB's from Tennessee but I think the kid from Ridgeway could play in the SEC and I am sure there are a few more.