GEORGIA PLAYOFF ARTICLE

Bill#49

Without knowing all of the other funding methods it is hard to compare these associations. For example, TN schools keep the gate, after expenses, from all regular season games. Do they in GA? There are a lot of areas that could be different.

There are a lot more fans at the games in GA, too, but I realize that has nothing to do with the 50% vs 12% of the gate. I thought it was interesting, though, when I visited a local business this past fall. They were monogramming shirts for a school in Georgia. They had shipped 12,000 shirts to the school to sell at their opening game and the school was re-ordering an additional 8,000. They said they routinely had 20-25,000 fans at their games. I wish I could remember what school it was.

Ronnie Carter and Dave Hunter, a member of the Georgia association discussed this topic at the TFCA meeting.

Ronnie Carter said that he would be glad to increase the split if the members were willing to pay a set fee for the catastrophic insurance. In Georgia, each school pays a fee/premium for the insurance.

It appeared as though the numbers would not be much different if the insurance fees were shifted. A problem in Tennessee is that each school doesn't play football. Therefore, it would penalize some schools to charge them for the insurance. Ronnie Carter said that the vast majority (I think it was over 80%) of catastrophic injuries had been in football.

Presently, TSSAA schools only have to secure insurance for $10,000, which would cover the deductible for the catastrophic insurance.

The biggest difference is that Georgia has a big TV contract, and more people attend their games.