Giles vs Bradley game summary

PulaskiVols

Bradley won tonight 84-72. It was a very well played game on both sides. With 4:00 minutes to play it was a one point game, from that point on Bradley outscored GCHS 22-11. Bradley as a team overall has very good talent, more so than GCHS. Hare played a great 1st half and a solid 2nd half. Pickel caught fire midway through the third and early in the fourth. Hare finished with 24 and Pickel 18 with 3 or 4 back breaking 3s. The big kid inside 00 had a strong game and was probably the difference tonight. He is a physical player and when allowed to play like they were tonight he played well. Bradley is a very talented basketball team and appeared to wear the Cats down in the 4th. As for GCHS, Tyler Smith was clearly the best player on the floor. He had two points in the first quarter but what a 2! His opening dunk, over #20, was about as good as you will see in High School basketball. He ended up with something like 31 for the game. Zach Holt started off pretty hot with a couple of 3s but was nowhere to be found after the 1st quarter. Shannon got hot about the same time Pickel did and made 2 or 3 from behind the line. Cash Givens was solid, made some big baskets. Morris was a non factor the entire game. The Coffey kid for GCHS has big potential, and may very well be the 2nd best player on the team. For some reason he seems to stay in Coach Holt's dog house. GCHS has nothing to be ashamed of as the better overall team won, but it was evident tonight that any team Tyler Smith plays for has a chance to win every night.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said...Giles County was simply out coached. Channing Coffey could have very well been the deciding factor in the game, if he had been allowed to play. This kid has a great upside and still has a couple of years to prove what he can do. Tyler carried the team most of the way tonight, like a player of his caliber is supposed to do...I want to commend him for that. He tookd control when he needed to. Pickel and Hare are unstoppable...they will always get their poinst. I can't stand to see a close game of this magnitude get away because of BONEHEAD mistakes. The coach should have called a TO and given his team a chance to reorganize, but he let them continue to play...that won't cut it in March...when every game is close.

gg to both teams.... and yes... why didn't holt call TIMEOUT???? I'm still dumbfounded by that.... anyway... Hare is awesome... yes pickel made 3 or 4 threes in the second half... but he shot like 7 in the first half and didn't make any of them.... I didn't find him that impressive... However, Hare is the real deal... I don't think anyone in the state will compete w/ BC.... GCHS played them ALOT closer than that 12 pt difference depicts..... However bradley is the better TEAM... w/ the better coach.... I'm pretty confident in saying that bradley will blow out white station this year!!! And once again Tyler proved that he is, by far, the best athlete on the court! He was struggling on his jumper, but he made so many moves on drives that would blow you away... Not to mention some awesome dunks... One of them was over 3 or 4 BC players.... this was the most exciting HS game I have ever seen... well worth the 10 bucks.... congrats to both teams....

Edited by mas1821

Bradley as a team looked good especially playing at Giles. I was impressed by the discipline that Bradley showed. Giles is a very good team and I expect to see them back at the state. (by the way, Pickel missee three shots first half and Tyler Smith missed about 10 second half--- did you find Smith's misses impressive or the fact that he WALKED down the court several times the second half impressive????)

Edited by tnwareagle

This was a very enjoyable game to watch between two exciting teams. Bradley has a better TEAM by far and Ty Smith had the most athletic ability of anyone on the floor. But in basketball, as in life, you win with your teamates and the people that surround and support you. It looked like Tyler abandoned his team late in the game and decided to take things into his own hands. He really needs to overcome this lack of maturity (or lack of coaching) to really become a superior player. Look for the Bears to make noise again this year in post-season play and look for Giles County to also have another excellent year. Whether they can win another state championship is entirely up to the supporting cast on this team. Someone else must step up or they will continue to see more games just like this where everyone ooh's and aah's at the thunder dunks by Ty and then shrugs their shoulders and says "dang, how did we lose that game..because Tyler was awesome".

These same two teams could match up again in a couple of weeks in the Arby's Classic as they are bracketed together and could meet in the semi's by winning their first two games.

Good luck to both teams for the rest of the season!

Well said PulaskiVols. I tend to disagree with Baconbreath...Bradley better by far? The game I attended was within one point with 4 minutes left! Tyler abandoned his team??? I think Tyler was trying to make something happen near the end of the game when no others on his team were stepping up. I think all Giles Co fans agree that someone else must step up. If Giles Co is going to bring home the gold ball Justin Morris must step up down low and GET AGRESSIVE. I think Channing Coffey is hustling his rear end off and is the second best player on that team right now. Giles Co should look at last night as a positive. Bradley is the AAA State runner up and returned their starting five. Giles Co hung in there for 28 minutes (blown out the last 4). You are a State Championship team that lost four key players from last years squad. It's still early in the season and you will come together. Congrats to a fantastic all around Bradley team. Keep looking up Giles Co., you just battled with one of the best in the state and it's still early in the season. You will gel thru out the season and peak when it is important.

This was a very enjoyable game to watch between two exciting teams. Bradley has a better TEAM by far and Ty Smith had the most athletic ability of anyone on the floor. But in basketball, as in life, you win with your teamates and the people that surround and support you. It looked like Tyler abandoned his team late in the game and decided to take things into his own hands. He really needs to overcome this lack of maturity (or lack of coaching) to really become a superior player. Look for the Bears to make noise again this year in post-season play and look for Giles County to also have another excellent year. Whether they can win another state championship is entirely up to the supporting cast on this team. Someone else must step up or they will continue to see more games just like this where everyone ooh's and aah's at the thunder dunks by Ty and then shrugs their shoulders and says "dang, how did we lose that game..because Tyler was awesome".

These same two teams could match up again in a couple of weeks in the Arby's Classic as they are bracketed together and could meet in the semi's by winning their first two games.

Good luck to both teams for the rest of the season!

Surely you must be kidding. Smith is hardly all dunks and he has a good supporting class. He was not hogging the basketball and I thought played a great game. He got wore down in the 4th quarter. He hardly abandoned his team nor did he show immaturity. I would say that 95% of the people at the game would say that Bradley was the better team but that Smith gives GCHS a chance to win every time he plays hard! Smith is a great player, and Giles should make the Sub-State pretty easily. From that point on however they will be tested and will have to play great team ball to make it back to the State.

Baconbreath...I have only seen Tyler abandon his team one time and that was in a scrimmage game in the pre-season. With 4 minutes left in the game, no one on Giles County could hang on to the ball...Coach Holt should have called time, to regroup; however, he didn't. Tyler felt that he could keep his team in the game...so he took the ball to the rack and got fouled...how can you knock a kid for that. He did what every coach would want their star player to do late in the game...get the shot off and draw a foul. Giles was not getting back in transition late in the game. Every Bobcat played great. Channing Coffey is the missing link...he looked like he was having a hard time in the second half keeping his feet set, but that happens. Givens had his usual night, rebounding and scoring. Shay...well, he got hot late in the game and the ball never went back to him...he could have hit 6 threes...as we have seen him do so many times. In a nutshell, both teams are nothing shy of great and seeing them both play in the 'BORO' is a done deal.

I can't understand how anyone can say that Tyler abandoned his team to me it was the other way around . If tyler would not have stepped up like he did it would have been a blow out . Tyler practically had the team on his shoulders. it is so funny to me how someone always has something bad to say about Tyler Smith. He was by far the best player on the floor just ask the players on Bradley Central or the coach and i bet they will tell you that Tyler was the best player on the court.Unfortunately this is a team game and one player can't win every game. Like I said at the beginning of tha year Channing Coffey is one of the best untapped talents on the Bobcat's team. He always brings so much energy on the floor. Some other players need to step up and perform to their potential.

baconbreath...I notice that you are a moderator for the girls basketball message board and you obviously are a Bradley Central fan. Do you have anything to do with the girls basketball coaching staff? Just wondering, cause during the boys game I was sitting in front of coach Harlow and what I assume was part of his staff. The gentlemen that I think were part of his staff (wearing the same attire as Harlow) were talking about how much better Tyler is this year than last. I'm sure when they saw Tyler it was at the state tournament (with Bradley being there).

My point is...Tyler was All-State last year and brought home the gold ball....hmmm....and members of the Bradley coaching staff (which you have an allegience to) think he has improved and were in awe when they saw some of the moves he was making. Maybe you should abandon this thread and go discuss it with them.