DII may form 2 classes for other sports

BiggestElk

With all due respect Baldcoach, there is one other possibility.

The DI private schools may already be more similar to DII privates (aid, recruiting), so they are just moving where they should have been all along.

You failed to bring that possibility up in your post, though I would help you out there.

Thank you Csense. I really do appreciate your candor. At least someone is willing to admit that what ACTUALLY lies behind a lot of the calls for a move is the suspicion that the small privates are already doing illegal things.

After all, all good programs cheat to get that way, don't you think? Especially the private schools...ugh...those Christian schools are the lowest down dirtiest no gooders of all! They recruit with no money and of course athletic ability is given first priority over any other thing in the interview process.

Why, I was down at a small private the other day (the reigning 1a champs no less) and every one of their Football players was 6'4" and 240 pounds of 4.5 forty time muscle...and that was the backs! You should have seen the linemen!! And of course the girls on the basketball team were all over 6'. In fact, the whole student body pretty much are college athletic material...this school alone has sent 227 students to NCAA 1a schools and has 17 current pro alumni.

Or maybe, just maybe I was down there talking to my 5 returning upper class Linebackers, the largest of whom is 170 pounds. Perhaps...don't shoot me, just thinking out loud...just perhaps the privates put athletics way down the list of importance. It is just possible that Spirituality and academics are first. NAAAAAAAHHH! That would mean they are winning fair and square. ;)

After all, all good programs cheat to get that way, don't you think?

I wouldn't say ALL, but maybe a few.

Again, private supporters come on here time and time again and say some public schools recruit, have open zones, etc but bring up just the POSSIBILITY that a private school may recruit and the world is coming to an end.

Hardliners on both sides are so hypocritical it ain't even funny.

There are issues on both sides that need to be dealt with. When are both private supporters and public supporters going to see that the biggest issue is the TSSAA and those powers that be?

The TSSAA does not control which schools are open zoned, close zoned, public, private, magnet or whatever. They do not control which schools have 100 students or 2000. What they need to do is recognize the obvious differences and classify accordingly. There may actually be less schools that are close zoned, but so be it, move them to a different class.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TSSAA does not control which schools are open zoned, close zoned, public, private, magnet or whatever. They do not control which schools have 100 students or 2000. What they need to do is recognize the obvious differences and classify accordingly. There may actually be less schools that are close zoned, but so be it, move them to a different class.

Very good post!

I think a lot of people will be unhappy about whatever the TSSAA does this Winter and Spring, but one thing is for sure, they will never make everyone happy!

ELA...surely you aren't suggesting that the privates would duck the step up in competition. You've got to be kidding...right? All they have to do is work harder and hire better coaches. They could beat Huntingdon and Milan in no time.

Antwan,

The schools in DivII 1a are no easier than the schools in DivI 2a. Both have some great teams. Any decision made will not be made based on "ducking competition". You seem to proceed from the assumption that all the 1a privates care about is athletic domination... sad that you attribute such base motives to us. Makes me wonder what your motivations are?

I didn't say any such thing. I was just responding to the fact that some privates are considering the move to DII. I think it ironic that some are thinking of moving. I did say that. My motives are simple. I think 1a and 2a privates should be in a division with teams of the same makeup (advantages and disadvantages). Since that is not going to happen...it really doesn't matter if they do the multiplier or not. We will still have to play privates that bring small crowds and have an unfair advantage.

When have I ever said that privates cheat...or recruit? I don't think I have ever said that. Why do you keep crying about that?

Isn't the whole classification thing about athletic domination? If it weren't...we would have one class for all. There would be no need for different classes.

We have a class system...because some teams have advantages over others. Those advantages differ (school size, aid/nonaid, open zoned metro areas, etc.)

ELA...surely you aren't suggesting that the privates would duck the step up in competition.  You've got to be kidding...right?  All they have to do is work harder and hire better coaches.  They could beat Huntingdon and Milan in no time.

Antwan,

The schools in DivII 1a are no easier than the schools in DivI 2a.  Both have some great teams.  Any decision made will not be made based on "ducking competition".  You seem to proceed from the assumption that all the 1a privates care about is athletic domination... sad that you attribute such base motives to us.  Makes me wonder what your motivations are?

Division I 2a final ratings according to Sonny Moore.

Huntingdon 123.16

Milan 104.96

Tyner 99.83

G.W. Carver 92.85

Alcoa 91.02

Oliver Springs 85.98

Rockwood 85.26

Division II A final ratings according to Sonny Moore

SBEC 73.91

Bishop Byrne 68.55

FACS 53.00

M. Catholic 43.19

St. And. Sew 31.95

Kings 17.84

You tell me which class is tougher. I excluded DL and GP.

Edited by Antwan

ELA...surely you aren't suggesting that the privates would duck the step up in competition.  You've got to be kidding...right?  All they have to do is work harder and hire better coaches.  They could beat Huntingdon and Milan in no time.

Antwan,

The schools in DivII 1a are no easier than the schools in DivI 2a.  Both have some great teams.  Any decision made will not be made based on "ducking competition".  You seem to proceed from the assumption that all the 1a privates care about is athletic domination... sad that you attribute such base motives to us.  Makes me wonder what your motivations are?

Division I 2a final ratings according to Sonny Moore.

Huntingdon 123.16

Milan 104.96

Tyner 99.83

G.W. Carver 92.85

Alcoa 91.02

Oliver Springs 85.98

Rockwood 85.26

Division II A final ratings according to Sonny Moore

SBEC 73.91

Bishop Byrne 68.55

FACS 53.00

M. Catholic 43.19

St. And. Sew 31.95

Kings 17.84

You tell me which class is tougher. I excluded DL and GP.

Very good work Antwan!

Gosh, I find myself in the postion of having goofed up...sorry about that. I was looking at the div II 2a maybe? Would that be where Webb, BGA, etc. are located? I believe that is where most of the current crop of div1 1a schools that traditionally dominate would end up. Sorry about that and you are definitely right Antwan, those DivII teams are not equal to div1 aa.

Gosh, I find myself in the postion of having goofed up...sorry about that. I was looking at the div II 2a maybe? Would that be where Webb, BGA, etc. are located? I believe that is where most of the current crop of div1 1a schools that traditionally dominate would end up. Sorry about that and you are definitely right Antwan, those DivII teams are not equal to div1 aa.

I think it interesting that your team would have been the highest rated team in that league last year too.

"My guess is they'll be approved on that only for basketball."

silverfly

maybe i am missing something, but why would there even be discussion on the issue? an un-represented constituency makes a request that affects no-one but themselves. what would be the purpose of doing anything except approving it?

as usual, well thought out. :)