Are High School coaches underpaid?

BigJack

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on where you coach and what kind of job you do. Some coaches deserve more but there are some who don't deserve what they are getting paid. Like all jobs there are hard times and good times. There are alot of jobs that are underpaid but the satisfaction of touching a childs life and giving them something to use for the rest of their life makes a coaches job worth it.

yes!!! all high school coaches are way under paid. It's sad to see some coaches getting $4000-5000 more than others because of where u live. Most of the time coaches who r paid the most have the best players and teams. Live in the bigger school districts ect... All teachers and coaches should be paid the same---hey band directors making double of what basketball coaches do - wow - But if we didn't love it we wouldn't do it. Show me the $$$$$$

Yes, coaches are being underpaid, but what coach really goes into coaching for the money. I am in college right now working on my degree and I plan to teach and coach after I am done playing college ball. Do I know both teachers and coaches are underpaid? Yes. Will that stop me from becoming one? No. Will I ever complain? No. Why? Because I will be doing something that I love, to some people happiness may come through some monetary item or amount, but to me happiness is having a job where you can watch boys grow up into young men and make a difference in your community. You coach because you love the game and you love the kids you coach, not because it is going to pay alot of money.

Edited by Gerry Bertier

No I dont think coaches are underpaid. If they are a great coach they need to be coaching in college or in the NBA.

Come on thecrew. There are many good coaches in high school sports that are legends. There are many that are great teachers and great basketball minds. The level does not matter that much except in the wallet. Many coaches have ample opportunities to go coach in college but choose not to b/c they love young people and they can teach. By the way, depending on what level you coach, some high school coaches can make more than some colleges.

I hope I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

I think coaches are underpaid. They put way too much work into trying to make a successful program. When really, its all up to the kids that play for that coach. They are not going to fail or get an F or anything if they just quit. A coach puts forth way more effort and time to teach kids not only the game but also character and dignity.

I'm a football coach, but I will post on here anyway. Yes, all coaches are underpaid, especially baseball coaches. For instance, in our system, the cheerleading sponsors get more than our baseball coaches at the middle school and high school level. I also coach basketball, so I do not feel bad in posting what I am about to say. As a basketball coach, I prepare for practice by making out the schedule for the day, mop the floor (5 minutes at best), get the rack of balls, blow the whistle, then practice (15 minutes pf prep time at best). As a baseball coach, I had to drag the field, cut the grass, weed-eat the fence line, paint the lines, get the roll-away onto the field, move the mound and plate tarps, put down the bases, get all the equipment (truck full) on the field, rake the mound and plate, and then I get to practice. After practice, I have to drag the field, rake the mound and plate, bring back the tarps, take up the bases, load the equipment. Total time of pre and post practice prep time can total 2 hrs. But, basketball coaches get paid a lot more than baseball coaches. Is this right? NO. Just an opinion. What do you think? Again, I have coached football, baseball, and basketball, so I have seen this happen--to me. LOL.

There is no question coaches are underpaid in all sports. We as coaches or most coaches coach because we love the game and the kids. Yes it is fun to watch our athletes develop in and out of sports. Yes, we as coaches coach because the sport we coach did so much for us as an athlete and as a player, and we can give back to our athletes what athletics meant and did for us. We don't coach and teach for the money , we coach and teach because we love what we do and we love working with kids. When you throw in the mix of having to deal with problems outside the program that is where we as coaches are underpaid. We are not in this to hurt or be mean to athletes like some people think we are. In all sports there are only so many positions on the court or on the field, and we as coaches are going to put the best players on the court or field that is going to give are programs the best chance to win. Yes, we want our athletes to have fun but if they don't win then how fun is that. ;)