Split Decision article

CSense

Also, unless I am mistaken any Metro school will take any child from out of zone if they have the space and the child has transportation (help me here ELA).

Man I don't want to get into this argument. You could be right, I just don't know. I know we have a bunch of magnet schools in the county and if a child wants in an academic program that is not offered at your school, you can get a transfer.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would the best athletes want to go to a private school anyway? seems like if they wanted to be noticed by colleges or something they would go to bigger schools that get more recognition. and if they dont go there, then its between a 1A public and 1A private. so if they wanted to go to a different school, other than the one they were at, they either move (or just transfer if BaldCoach's post on the previous page is correct) or pay 6 or 7 grand every year for the private school. recruiting is done either way by success. and if your teams not having success and therefore not getting better players then, well, i dont know what to tell you, play better.

Tell me about Milan. Where do their kids come from? To answer your question...no I don't think they should be split from other public schools. I don't think any rural public has a big enough drawing area to matter much.

Antwan....The majority of Milan`s kids come from Milan. They do allow kids from other zones/counties to attend. Likewise the Jackson private school kids mostly come from areas near their respective schools. They also allow kids from other counties to attend.

If I live in Milan, I have the choice of sending my kid to Milan (free) or the 25 minute commute to a Jackson private school(4 or 5 thousand). If I live in Jackson, I have the choice of our zoned school, Liberty Magnet, Madison, a private schools or Milan (50 bucks).

I don`t know how many out of zone students they have, but they definitely have kids from out of county there. It really doesn`t matter though. You`d support a split based on the fact that private schools can get kids from anywhere even if a private school wasn`t strong athletically. Forget the fact that Milan has a few gold balls, they have too can get kids from anywhere. They have advantages that other schools don`t have. That`s why I say you don`t give a hoot about Milan. You just want to get rid of private schools.

Antwan....The majority of Milan`s kids come from Milan. They do allow kids from other zones/counties to attend. Likewise the Jackson private school kids mostly come from areas near their respective schools. They also allow kids from other counties to attend.

If I live in Milan, I have the choice of sending my kid to Milan (free) or the 25 minute commute to a Jackson private school(4 or 5 thousand). If I live in Jackson, I have the choice of our zoned school, Liberty Magnet, Madison, a private schools or Milan (50 bucks).

I don`t know how many out of zone students they have, but they definitely have kids from out of county there. It really doesn`t matter though. You`d support a split based on the fact that private schools can get kids from anywhere even if a private school wasn`t strong athletically. Forget the fact that Milan has a few gold balls, they have too can get kids from anywhere. They have advantages that other schools don`t have. That`s why I say you don`t give a hoot about Milan. You just want to get rid of private schools.

You don't give a hoot about small public schools either...so I guess we are even.

There is a big difference though. There aren't ANY small public schools that are drawing students from a highly populated area. All small privates are. The only possible exception is Friendship Christian...but I know they have several students from Mt. Juliet.

Let's just get to the gist of it. You are using Milan as an example when the real problem is the open zoned Memphis schools. You don't want to be in the same region with Melrose and company. Isn't that really why you are against a split?

Edited by Antwan

Well from what I hear,it dosen't really matter what the tssaa does. If they don't move the small privates up, the small publics are talking about going up to 3a. I like the idea.

Or maybe play in a neighboring state for some of the schools near a border? I've heard both of these options discussed in my neck of the woods.

You don't give a hoot about small public schools either...so I guess we are even.

There is a big difference though. There aren't ANY small public schools that are drawing students from a highly populated area. All small privates are. The only possible exception is Friendship Christian...but I know they have several students from Mt. Juliet.

Let's just get to the gist of it. You are using Milan as an example when the real problem is the open zoned Memphis schools. You don't want to be in the same region with Melrose and company. Isn't that really why you are against a split?

Antwan...Once again that is not my reason for not wanting a split. Why do you persist on saying it over and over. I mentioned that a split would probably put JCM back into a Memphis region. I said that because some poster stated that 3A,4A, and 5A schools should not even have a vote since a split would not affect them. I was merely pointing out how wrong he was.

I did not know how a split would affect JCM until 2 or 3 months ago when it was published in the Jackson Sun. I can assure you I have been against a split for much longer than that and many on here can attest to that fact.

Milan has a large drawing area just like the private schools. You don`t give a hoot about Milan. You have a vendetta only against private schools. Some of us do have open minds and can see advantages on both sides. Tyner draws from all over Chattanooga. I guess you would brush that off too since they aren`t a private school. Madison Academic is a new 1A public in Jackson They don`t have any zones.

Milan has a very large drawing pool. It`s quite a bit larger than other closed zone 2A publics. You don`t care that they have advantages. You just don`t like the fact that private schools have them.

Antwan...Once again that is not my reason for not wanting a split. Why do you persist on saying it over and over. I mentioned that a split would probably put JCM back into a Memphis region. I said that because some poster stated that 3A,4A, and 5A schools should not even have a vote since a split would not affect them. I was merely pointing out how wrong he was.

I did not know how a split would affect JCM until 2 or 3 months ago when it was published in the Jackson Sun. I can assure you I have been against a split for much longer than that and many on here can attest to that fact.

Milan has a large drawing area just like the private schools. You don`t give a hoot about Milan. You have a vendetta only against private schools. Some of us do have open minds and can see advantages on both sides. Tyner draws from all over Chattanooga. I guess you would brush that off too since they aren`t a private school. Madison Academic is a new 1A public in Jackson They don`t have any zones.

Milan has a very large drawing pool. It`s quite a bit larger than other closed zone 2A publics. You don`t care that they have advantages. You just don`t like the fact that private schools have them.

If you think I have a vendetta against privates...then you must have a vendetta against small publics. Milan doesn't have near the drawing pool any of the Nashville 1a or 2a privates do. It's not anywhere near close. Why do you keep harping on that. It is not a fact. For the millionth time...take time to soak this in...I think all publics should be zoned...especially large cities as Memphis and Nashville. There are no 1a, 2a, or 3a public schools in either one of those cities. The Nashville privates have a huge advantage over the rural publics. If you can't see that...you are in the minority. I don't think USJ or Boyd have as much of an advantage...but they still have an advantage. We'll see what the tssaa does about it. Whatever they do...short of a split...will not be enough. Since the split is apparently out...it's not going to be pretty whatever happens. The 1a and 2a publics are fed up with the current system. I don't think the tssaa has a clue how bad this problem has become.

Obviously private school people like you don't either. I think pujo is right. There will probably be a mass exodus to 3a (as we did). That will be a mess. How will the tssaa handle that? Will they disallow teams to move up as Ky. does? Wouldn't it be interesting if they were to put the DII privates back in and disallow anyone to move up. BA would be in 1a. Reckon they could win? :D

Edited by Antwan

I don't think the private thing is near as personal as some would think. If 1a and 2a were losing every year, in nearly all the sports to a small group of open enrollment schools, we would be fighting that battle instead. As far as I know,the only type of school that has ever been able to whip everyone in the state with a 1a enrollment was BA ,a private school. I do agree open enrollment is an issue we should deal with ,but not to the same degree. I could be wrong,but maybe the the majority of big schools in the state are open enrollment, the ones that arn't may be a small minority. I think we have very few open enrollment schools in 1a.most are small rural schools with closed zones.

Now it almost sounds like some sort of an ego trip for the coaches of the most successful small private schools.

"We have nothing to work with and look what we've been able to do with them."

Surely you don't think that.

Never said that nor implied it...what I was saying is that all schools have something to work with. Valley (who was brought up by you guys and who I was defending) always has some good kids who are fine athletes. Are you implying that the small publics don't have anything to work with?

p.s. Nice try with the ego trip thing. If you can't win the real argument you can always attack the people...classy.

p.p.s. Am I proud of what we have done...you bet I am. From whipping post for years to a really good program and State Champs...you think we should hang our heads in shame? I think not.