Should coaches prevent or discourage athletes

ELA

As a football coach, I understand that playing basketball, soccer, and baseball is a right that every student-athlete has to make and I can't do anything to prevent him from making that decision. I will expect him to stay in shape and prepare for football in the summer and I will encourage his coaches in the other sports to allow him time to lift weights on days that it will not effect his performance, but the bottom line is he becomes the responsibility of another head coach during those seasons and we share the kids in the summer.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us in the profession know of head coaches in some sport that tells his kids not to play "SPORT X" or "SPORT Z" if they expect to start for him. I think these men are just plain greedy no matter what they think about the players potential in another sport.

I once had a principal call every head and assistant coach in the school into the library. He made this statement and simply walked out: "Any coach with tenure who tells a child in this school not to play another sport will be fired from their coaching responsibilities within 48 hours. Any non-tenured coach will be fired."

I agree Ela. In fact I think coaches should encourage kids to play other sports. I`m glad that at JCM the coaches are all on the same track and don`t care f kid want to try more than one sport.

I agree with all previous post. Unfortunately though, I know of one prominent football school that wants participation in other sports but only in the ones the coach selects. For instance; soccer and baseball is looked down upon if you want to continue your high school football career. Track and wrestling is OK.

Great points, all. One thing that isn't mentioned much is the absolute imperative at small schools (A, AA) to have all of your athletes playing. It is all but impossible to be competitive while having good athletes biding time during other seasons. I realize that football takes year 'round lifting to be successful, basketball takes year 'round shooting and baseball takes year 'round hitting to stay at the top of your game. But it seems to me that so many kids "specialize" and cheat themselves out of benefits of other sports. Want your baseball players to be strong and mentally tough? Encourage them to play football. Want your football players to have more wind. better footwork and hand-eye? Basketball's the ticket. Want your linemen to use leverage and strength? Get 'em to wrestle. Done correctly all will benefit.

There is a problem with burnout and the parents and coaches need to look out for it. My son hasn't had a break of more than two weeks for the last four years. He wants to do it all- plays three sports, is in chorus and active in church. Guess what suffers? Grades. It's a real balancing act and occaisionally requires what we call "re-focus" (read as "you're grounded and don't even think of going out for one more sport until...)

Good post and good points that you brought up. This all sounds familiar to me. My son plays all three sports too and it gets kinda hard on him sometimes. Three sports during the school year, plus hunting on weekends, and summer baseball. But he's the type that likes to stay busy, so I'd rather him playing sports than some other things that he could be doing. I think sports helps prepare him for the challenges that he will face in life, the ups and downs, and how to deal with them, among other things.