CONGRADS TO MBA...

cb56

I asked his coaches about it and their answer was that it was a two fold strategy. He honestly felt he would beat ND with that lineup. If MBA wins, they would then be fresh to wrestle McCallie in the semi-finals. If they lost, they ended up in a better postion in the consolation draw. Either way their younger wrestlers gained valuable experience for what should be a very strong team next year. The ND match came down to the last match. Not bad with a mostly JV lineup.

CoachD, your post on Friday concerning the subject: "Houston was in a similar situation with its season finale against Germantown. If we tanked the Gtown match, we would have been in a better position at the Region Duals. Of course we didn't even try to do such a thing and won the dual. I just don't see a coach willingly tanking a match to set up a better consolation draw. I especially don't see Coach F. Simpson doing this. He will make the best of his situation and work hard to try to win the championship this weekend regardless of the draw."

The MBA parents sitting next to me in the stands kept saying they were throwing the match. The match was on Friday night with the semis not until Saturday at 11:00. If you thought that you could beat a team with your JV, it's not logical that you would believe that your starters would be so fatigued that they wouldn't be recovered the next day after such an easy match. Why the sudden change of heart on your stance? Personally, who MBA puts in their lineup in no concern or interest of mine. It appears that you are now practicing political damage control after speaking out against the establishment. You weren't alone as BTOW and others stated that there was no way MBA would throw the match. Why was putting anything less then your best on the mat so outrageous on Friday morning but now it's completely reasonable?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey CB56...At the next tournament, I would like to ask your coach a thing or two on why he cleared his bench and forfeited after disagreeing with a call. MBA may have wrestled JV guys some, but your team refused to EVEN WRESTLE. I will ask him, but wait, he wont be at the next tourney, dang.

-Stovepipe/

Did it ever occur that maybe some of those JV MBA wrestler's were seniors that would never again get the privelge of throwing on the Scarlet and Gray. Maybe it was a way for Coach S of saying thank you for the hard work that you have put in. It was a compliment to those wrestlers and a great work of strategy. Great wrok by coach Simp. MBA will definitely be a contender for the title these next two years. END THE THREAD!

Walkenvol,

I wouldn't say it was political damage control. Frank Simpson was my coach in high school. I don't have to do any politicking with the Simpson clan. Although I don't 100% agree with the viewpoint of the MBA assistants on this one, they had reasons that are theirs and theirs alone. Did it surprise me that this was done? Sure it did. Would I have done the same thing? No I wouldn't have. I guess in the big picture they foresaw getting four duals instead of three.

Did it ever occur that maybe some of those JV MBA wrestler's were seniors that would never again get the privelge of throwing on the Scarlet and Gray. Maybe it was a way for Coach S of saying thank you for the hard work that you have put in. It was a compliment to those wrestlers and a great work of strategy. Great wrok by coach Simp. MBA will definitely be a contender for the title these next two years. END THE THREAD!

I agree!! Watch out for these young ones next year. Nice finish for the few going out and good experience for all the undergrads.

soms

CoachD - Now this post is much more consistent to your post on Friday where your last post appeared to be in support of their decision but maybe I just read it wrong. Bottom line was MBA tanked the match and like you stated they had their reasons which were theirs alone. Again, I'm neutral on the subject, it's none of my business what they do. You along with others stated and/or inferred that the MBA group had too much class to stoop to that level.

Everyone else - Across this board many have critized the McCallie group for forfeiting matches in the past stating that it showed a lack of class by Coach Connell. MBA tanks a match in the state duals, Bradley forfeits 5 or 6 weights against Maryville and yet no outcry of foul (personally, it's no interest of mine). They both had their reasons and it was their decisions to make, yet where's the outrage? Didn't ND earn the right to compete against MBA's best? What about those poor boys from Maryville who drove all that way then didn't even get a match? Where is the consistancy in coach bashing? Some of these guys can do no wrong while others can do no right. If Connell had of done either of those the thread bashing him would already be 8 pages long.

Bottom line was MBA tanked the match and like you stated they had their reasons which were theirs alone. Again, I'm neutral on the subject, it's none of my business what they do. You along with others stated and/or inferred that the MBA group had too much class to stoop to that level.

Everyone else - Across this board many have critized the McCallie group for forfeiting matches in the past stating that it showed a lack of class by Coach Connell. MBA tanks a match in the state duals, Bradley forfeits 5 or 6 weights against Maryville and yet no outcry of foul (personally, it's no interest of mine).

W,

You stated that you are neutral, but your post belies your true intentions. You give an unqualified defense of Coach Connell with backhand slams against Coaches Simpson and Logsdon. I think all three coaches are among the greats in the state. And I wouldn't criticize Coach Connell to promote the other two.

I'll jump on board talking about coaches not wrestling. Why did Franklin wrestle Collierville until the end when they had already wonthe match. Then forfit the last matches to Clarksville. In the con.semis. they had another match to wrestle in the con.finals they did not. I personally think Franklin knew Clarksville had the last three by six and wanted to forfit to say they could have won it if they had wrestled those matches. That was poor sportsmenship. It was poor sportsmenship for Bradley to forfit out. It robbed the kids of the experence and the fans in the stands. SOunds like MBA tok a page out of Ryan's playbook. Three years ago Ryan allowed Clarksville to drive up to Nashville in the snow to wrestle Freshmen/JV/And Varsity. The only problem was their varsity never weighed in. Clarksville beat thier jv who wrestled varsity that night with ease. HAd Ryan put thier varsity out that night Clarksville had a great chance of beating them. But no one will ever know. I can tell you we didn't forget the next year! What happened to honnor when did it get thrown out of the window?

There are at least a couple of ways to look at this. First, Ryan SHOULD have forfeited the last match of their Baylor contest. Leading by 7, the only way you can lose is to send a wrestler on the mat, get pinned and have someone lose their cool and lose an additional team point (unsportsman conduct). This ties the match and Ryan loses on the first criteria of the tiebreaker (team points lost).

Bradley, on the other hand, missed a great opportunity to reward some of their non-starting wrestlers and give some underclassmen state tournament experience, not to mention giving Maryville a full match.

I guess I have just second guessed them, but those are the two champs so it is a little hard to question them.

Oh great and powerful MillsHalf, what am I thinking now?

I said exactly what I meant, what they do is their business. I made no comment as to whether it was the correct choice for them to make, don't know / don't care. I used those 2 coaches as examples because they have many vocal supporters on this board and they did something that could be considered controversial. I still contend if Connell did either of those things, the board would be abuzz with folks pointing out his "lack of class". But, it's nice to know that you wouldn't be one of them.

The point of the duals tournament is to win a championship, not give a team a full match so they feel better about their team. You must survive each match with a win and try not to have injuries that may prevent your team from losing a future match.

Even letting the JV wrestle in a match that was over early, like the Maryville match, still could put a wrestler in a position to be injured and thus not available later in the tournament.

just my humble opinion.