OSMS girls win Area 4 title

goosevol

The Oliver Springs Middle School girls won the TMSAA Area 4 Small School Championship yesterday with a 55-27 victory over Eagleton. The Lady 'Cats are now 19-0 on the season and have won 38 straight games. They play next in the East Tennessee Championship Tournament at Caton's Chapel.

Harriman finished third in the tournament and will play the second place team from Area 2.

Cherokee's girls finished second in the large school tournament and will now face the No. 3 team from Area 2.

I know they've beaten Cherokee and Norris. They're the best I've seen in middle school this year. Heritage beat Cherokee in the large school division Friday night and that would be a super game.

In the tournament that concluded Saturday, they won their two games by an average of 25 points and it could have been worse. Against Harriman, they were up 24 at halftime before winning by 23.

In the title game, Brooke Barger (8th grade) scored 25 points to go along with 8 boards, 4 assists and 3 steals. Kayla Christopher (7th grade) added 12 points and 6 assists. These two are capable of scoring 20 on the same night.

The best thing about this team is Sam teaches them fundamentals and stresses defense. It's hard for him to get the most out of them each night when they blow most teams out, but I think he does just that. The team always seems to strive to get better no matter who they play.

I hope they can win three more games and win their second straight East Tennessee State Championship, but even if they don't, they're one heck of a team that has accomplished a lot.

FYI,

OSMS girls are the best around, and the boys aren't bad either (See http://www.eteams.com/osmsboysbasketball :lol:

Anyway, Hunstsville Middle School has the Small School Sectional brackets posted on their website. I can't gaurantee their accuracy, but they look right. It's at: http://www.scottcounty.net/huntsville/hms/ then click on the barcket link at the bottom.

Doug

Edited by dougb110