Rodney Nelson for coach of the year

REBELRON

Rodney Nelson has done a great job this year. Maryville lost the best basketball player they ever had in Lee Humphrey.Maryville lost Drew Houser,Jacob Stout,Matt King,Brandon Burchfield,Aaron Fowler and Carl Eppilito also.

This years team lost Trey Brewer and Dave Garner to injuries.From what Rebelsman has told me Brewer would have been a starter.Brewer was Maryvilles best guard.

Rodney Nelson has done a great job with the Maryville basketball program.Rodney has helped Maryville become a top ranked basketball program at a school that puts football before anything.I will never rip Rodney Nelson. I know Maryville should have went to Murfreesboro the last 2 years. It was painful to watch their seasons end vs WB in 2002 and Greeneville last year. But. I remember too well how bad Maryville was in basketball when I was in school. Maryville was 2-25 my junior year.MHS was 5-22 my senior year.That was Rodney's 1st year. Now Maryville wins 20 games every year. I can't remember the last time they had a losing record. Maryville is winning 20 games a year playing against teams like Bearden,Farragut,Alcoa,South Doyle and Jefferson County. When I was in school Maryville was getting beat by small schools like Rockwood,Oliver Springs,Greenback. Holston and Rule used to beat Maryville by 60 or more. Govman said that Friendsville used to wear Maryville out. Heritage and William Blount used to kill Maryville while I was in school.

Before Rodney started coaching at Maryville you had the baseball coach coaching basketball. Basketball was not very important at Maryville. Their would be 50 people or less at the games. Holston and Rule used to bring the fans out because those teams were very good. Things are very different now. Rodney works hard to make Maryville a top notch program. Everytime I run into Rodney we talk about basketball. We drive his wife crazy. Rodney is very involved in the youth basketball programs in Maryville.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the posted odds for coach of the year which will be voted on next Monday.

Nelson 1/4 Maryville 13-1 district record. Enough Said.

Baumann 3/1 William Blount Has done an excellent job replacing 9 seniors

Dodgen 10/1 Farragut Never gets any respect. Loss to WB hurt him.

Blevins 10/1 Bearden A little too inconsistent this year.

Smith 25/1 S Doyle Started hot, but have cooled off.

Petkoe 30/1 West Speaking of inconsistent.

Rines 100/1 Heritage Deserves it for everything he has had to deal with.

Sev Co 100/1 Sev Co Much improved from last year.

I'll gladly chime in here and say that Rodeny Nelson deserves coach of the year hands down. I guess I never really knew how good Lee was until I watched him play for Florida and noticed that he is matched up against the best guards in the SEC, guys who will be in the NBA in a yr or two, thats insane. All that was accomplished the past few yrs was given much to Lee's credit, but now seeing what Nelson has done with this team is unbelievable. He has taken some average athletes and turned them into very good basketball players. One of the smartest teams around, as are all of Nelsons teams. Kids come to Maryville to play football. and basketball at Maryville is what ti is to UT, a stepping stone from football season to well football season. Great job coach, and Rebels do what we couldnt the ast 3 yrs, go to the boro and represent.

Beachvol13,

I take offense to your remark about Mville having average talent. I agree Coach Nelson is a good coach and should be coach of the year but I am so tired of Mville boys getting tagged non athletic.

Tyler and Andy played with Lee last year and if the ball would have ended up on their side of the court, Greeneville would not have competed in the state T-ment.

Tyler and Andy played all summer long all over the country having success playing top quality athletes. They have worked hard and they have talent.

Andy will dunk on you or he will not let you shoot in the paint

Tyler will score 30 on you and hold you scoreless and you will never see him sweat

You can't coach that.

Oh, by the way, Tyler plays a little football too. I guess he is just average there also.

Edited by dukeballer

Micah is a major league ###### but is very smart, very basketball savy and a hard worker. He will be a very successful head coach at Alcoa for as long as he wants to. He's just cocky/arrogant enough to try and break every record there, but he'll have to coach until he's 65 to pass Coach O.

As for Maryville, yes, they have average athletes in basketball.

Other than Andy and Tyler the athletes are VERY average. Andy and Tyler have a few things going for them...size, hands, and handles. They are both very tall and have good hands and dribbling skills, this makes them harder to guard. Without Andy and Tyler Maryville would be doomed. Tyler Buckley, probably a below average athlete, although he has stepped it up big this year. Curtis Swank, the year off hurt him...he's not too bad though. Danny Saxe, he is a less talented Andy. This team with Joey healthy, Trey healthy, and Dave healthy this team would have much more talent. Joey was one great defender and had a pretty good 3 pointer, he's lost that now, no real spring in his jump and his legs aren't 100 percent yet. Trey was the best ball handler on the team, his slashing with the basketball was great, and he would have been a big boost in a close game drawing plenty of fouls. Dave...fastest guy at MHS hands down...never hurts to have a little speed on the court. So I think the athletes compared to Memphis, and some Knox schools are average. In fact, our football talent is average. I take pride in the fact that we can take those average skilled players and make them better than D1 athletes. Memphis East had something like 7 D1 athletes this year, and yet they couldn't make the state title game?! Maryville in 3 years had 1 Division 1 athlete and won 3 titles. I think that means that we take average players, and milk them to be the best they can be. I'd take that over 7 D1's anyday!

Memphis East had something like 7 D1 athletes this year, and yet they couldn't make the state title game?! Maryville in 3 years had 1 Division 1 athlete and won 3 titles. I think that means that we take average players, and milk them to be the best they can be. I'd take that over 7 D1's anyday!

Think about this. Give me the seven D1 players with our coaching and I'll walk through the state.