State Tournament

tbag4head

For the "old timers" this statement will be easy to understand but will be more difficult for the young people. The McCallie & Father Ryan Invitational tournaments are more difficult to win than a state championship. With D1 and D2 people are getting to the finals in both divisions that in the past would not have made it to the state tournament. I really hope that everyone does well and has fun but that gold medal seems to have lost some of it's luster.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the "old timers" this statement will be easy to understand but will be more difficult for the young people. The McCallie & Father Ryan Invitational tournaments are more difficult to win than a state championship. With D1 and D2 people are getting to the finals in both divisions that in the past would not have made it to the state tournament. I really hope that everyone does well and has fun but that gold medal seems to have lost some of it's luster.

You can say that all you want, I just don't see a guy taking home his gold medal and saying..."WOW this thing isn't really all that great...If only I could have wrestled with both divisions combined." The guys who get the medals know in their mind, they are the best of the best and that should never be taken away from them.

Div II got what they wanted, now they just need to keep quiet about Div I not being nearly as difficult. That it is a watered down championship. The way I see it, Div I is growing rapidly while Div II is staying the same.

Div II got what they wanted, now they just need to keep quiet about Div I not being nearly as difficult. That it is a watered down championship. The way I see it, Div I is growing rapidly while Div II is staying the same.

DblTech-

I think you need to substitue Div I for all of your Div II's and vice versa in your previous post. It is totally the other way around.

BobJones, DblTech has it right. The private schools that wanted to leave DI left and the private schools that wanted to stay in DI did. As far as growing I think there have been more DI schools added in wrestling since the split than there has DII schools. Just how did you come to your conclustions that the statement that DblTech made needs to be just the opposite?

There are also others to consider. Hammond (Coll. 112) got a good draw. Also, Hunt (Coll. 125), Wright (Houston 130), Edgington (Munf. 140), Allen (Westside 145), Chism (Bartlett 152), West (Coll. 152), Sharp (Germ. 160), Bourland (Bolton 171), Faulkner (Coll. 189), Matthews (Hous. 189), Hansen (Ridg. 215), Rogers (Coll. 215), Allen (Cord. 275), and Taylor (Ridg. 275) are worth watching at state. I think that a couple of these could sneak in to the medal rounds.

Predictions For DII Individual (for the way the brackets are posted now even though I don't agree with a few weight class seedings):

103: Doster (Bay) dec. Adamson (ND)

112: Dunning (FR) dec. Manson (Bay)

119: Simpson (MBA) dec. Geismar (Bay)

125: Hiller (FR) pin Francis (MBA)

130: Cleveland (McC) mdec. Manson (Bay)

135: Leen (Bay) pin Mondelli (FR)

140: Smith (McC) dec. Waddell (Bay)

145: Blair (McC) dec. Doster (Bay)

152: Manley (McC) dec. Marable (CBHS)

160: Scott (McC) tech. Donlon (MBA)

171: Stark (FR) mdec. Turk (MBA)

189: Marable (CBHS) mdec. Rudolph (McC)

215: Saint (CBHS) dec. Wash (BA)

275: Forte (BA) dec. Hooser (MUS)

OW: Leen (Baylor 135)

Best Match: 152 finals (Manley vs. Marable)

I'm sure some people don't agree with some of these finalists and outcomes. But that is why they are my "opinionated" predictions.

There is a very good chance Chris Lewis will end up with three gold medals. Manley will have his hands full. Quickness and conditioning may be the deciding factor, not strength.

This is one match RC should allow to go on without any other activity in the auditorium. I could see a few others in the finals showcased for both D1 & D2, as well.

soms