NashvilleCityPaper -

Bighurt

Ok General. If you think opens doors are right for public school. What would you JCM people think if (Al Wilson ) or November or whom ever that you JCM people cheer for would just go to South Side or North Side to have played there ball.

I know the Madison Co. school system have a mixed up school system but do you really think that it is OK for a plaYER to go to a school in MILAN if they live in downtown Metro Jackson?

trick....It doesn`t matter to me! I have stated numerous times on this board that I think the more choices a kid/student/parent has the better.. I recognize the complaints of 1A publics. However, I can`t understand the overlooking of public schools that have open zones. Did you read the article about the middle school basketbal player in Memphis?

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/prep_sports/a...2648184,00.html

Right now he has his choices narrowed down to five high schools. None of them are private schools BTW.

JCM lost several good baseball players to the newly opened Liberty magnet school this year. I have no problem with that. They were zoned to JCM, but they had a choice of schools they wanted to attend. What I do have a problem with is people who want to only single out private schools.

We`ve lost the mission of high school sports. My son plays 2 sports at JCM. I could care less if they win a state title. I`m just really proud that he endures the practices, the hard work, the joys and the disappointments of the challenges he takes on by choosing to participate. We lost to Germantown and Melrose the last 2 years in the quarterfinals. Frankly, I couldhave cared less if it was to MBA and CBHS. The fact is our team goes out and competes and works hard to get the opportunity to challenge another team. There are great teams in every class. Change is fine, but when you only go after private schools it is obvious that there is a vendetta.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only said that if the private schools are going to wear the private title on there Gates then join together and do what BA did years ago and put a end to the fighting about what class they are in and be D-II since they do have the

PRIVATE SCHOOL TITLE

Trick,

Again, you act as though all private schools are the same by implying that the title private somehow makes us all clones. You are wrong.

And, if you will remember, BA didn't create DII, it was forced upon them and all the other financial aid giving privates by the TSSAA Council. So saying that all the privates should "do what BA did" is kind of goofey...they didn't do it, it was done to them. Which kind of brings us back to the whole unfair thing...

Further, even if BA had created DII remember you are talking about a team that competed and won at the highest levels. With the current crop of small privates you are talking about 4 or 5 teams that have been winning at the 2 lowest levels.

Finally, you seem to be infected with the prejudiced bug...privates are somehow different because they are privates and should therefore be shunned. Your attitude would have served you well in the 1600's in Salem, or in the first part of this century in the South. I'll let you in on a secret. The kids at the small privates are just kids. They aren't super beings or super athletes. As my coaches used to tell me when the public school kids were clobbering us game after game...they put their pants on one leg at a time just like you. I believed them and came back to coach knowing that we could be competitive. Perhaps you should believe in your kids a little more instead of wasting all your time trying to segregate ours?

baldcoach my friend (and other privateers):

"instead of wasting all your time trying to segregate ours"

It looks to me like you are not liking it because you think someone else is trying to "segregate your kids", but isn't the private school concept in general a type of "segregation" from other people whether it be for religious, academic, athletic, social, economical, or whatever other reasons?

You want to be "segregated" from what you want to be segregated from and anyone else's opinion on how things should be segregated is not valid.

It looks to me like you are not liking it because you think someone else is trying to "segregate your kids", but isn't the private school concept in general a type of "segregation" from other people whether it be for religious, academic, athletic, social, economical, or whatever other reasons?

You want to be "segregated" from what you want to be segregated from and anyone else's opinion on how things should be segregated is not valid.

CSense, You have summed up in that post exactly the impression that I get from the vast majority of the private supporters on here.

Speaking of segregation, could someone please explain why most middle class white folks in Knoxville always move out toward Farragut or Halls? Now that's segregation. Maybe those schools shouldn't play Austin-East any more. I mean... they are different kinds of schools. With all the money in Farragut surely they have all kinds of unfair advantages. Just look how they dominate in baseball and soccer. Whaaa... whaaa ... whaaa... it just ain't fair! ;)

Edited by Dalton91

Let the privates play the privates and the public play the publics end of story.

The privates can then recruit and scholorship anybody anywhere they want.

If it is what a family wants for their child thats great. Once again the privates are not evil they sholud do everything they can to achieve their mission.

The publics can then play and set up new classifications to match there league.

One question why do privates continue to want to be associated with the publics?

If they split tommorrow the publics would move right along but the privates would be furious and I really don't understand why?

The more appropriate term is "nonpublic".

Any DI nonpublic moving to DII would not have to play any Super 7 team. In fact in Middle Tenn nothing would really change accept they would have BGA in the region. DII has a proposal before the Board of Control to have two classes in sports other than football. DII would flourish and this thread would die a graceful death!!

Its a fair question I think. I'm gonna give this a shot, but it's early and it may not be a good one.

Segregation is an involuntary action forced upon a group. If two neighbors choose to shop at different grocery stores that is not segregation. If they choose 2 different brands of chips and dip to eat while watching the Super Bowl together that is not segregation. If, however, one of them gets jealous over the fact that the other one's dip has more jalapenos in it, takes his food, goes home and declares that the two will no longer associate because of where his neighbor shops then that is segregation.

Just because parents choose public or private educations for their children doesn't meant that anyone is segregated. And, if from the beginning the two had had completely seperate athletic associations perhaps the argument would be different. But, both have been members of the TSSAA from the start. Both groups have obeyed the rules and neither is accused of rules violations. In short, the privates are being forced into DII or forced up to higher classifications by the publics. That is segregation.

I guess what I am saying is seprate or different is not the same as segregated. On the one hand both choose to be that way, on the other the choice is FORCED on someone. I thought that in America we had done away with that kind of stuff. I am dissappointed to find that I was wrong.

Its a fair question I think. I'm gonna give this a shot, but it's early and it may not be a good one.

Segregation is an involuntary action forced upon a group. If two neighbors choose to shop at different grocery stores that is not segregation. If they choose 2 different brands of chips and dip to eat while watching the Super Bowl together that is not segregation. If, however, one of them gets jealous over the fact that the other one's dip has more jalapenos in it, takes his food, goes home and declares that the two will no longer associate because of where his neighbor shops then that is segregation.

Just because parents choose public or private educations for their children doesn't meant that anyone is segregated. And, if from the beginning the two had had completely seperate athletic associations perhaps the argument would be different. But, both have been members of the TSSAA from the start. Both groups have obeyed the rules and neither is accused of rules violations. In short, the privates are being forced into DII or forced up to higher classifications by the publics. That is segregation.

I guess what I am saying is seprate or different is not the same as segregated. On the one hand both choose to be that way, on the other the choice is FORCED on someone. I thought that in America we had done away with that kind of stuff. I am dissappointed to find that I was wrong.

A more reasonable scenario would be this....

One grocery store would only take certain customers that were smart enough, wealthy enough, or had enough "connections" to get in.

I see, but baldcoach some of us are just trying to be nice and help you out with the next step of your "voluntary segregation" ;)

One grocery store would only take certain customers that were smart enough, wealthy enough, or had enough "connections" to get in.

True enough. Except that doesn't really apply in the case of the small privates. They will take just about anyone who wants to come and isn't being sent there by their parents as reform school.

Price is certainly an issue. But then again, if someone wants to come badly enough they could come on financial aid and chose not to play athletics. Or, the kid could work to pay his/her tuition. 5-6k a year sounds bad but truth is any highschool age kid can easily earn that much on a minimum wage job.

So what we really have is one high priced store that some people prefer for some reasons (better customer service?) and one not so high priced. While it might seem a luxury to some people to shop at the higher priced one, they could still do so if they wanted to badly enough.

All I am saying is parents who chose private education don't do it to force public kids away or to force public education out of business. Thus they aren't segregating themselves. They are availing themselves of an alternative product. LONG LIVE CAPITALISM heh. ;)

Edited by Baldcoach

I see, but baldcoach some of us are just trying to be nice and help you out with the next step of your "voluntary segregation" :)

:);):(

I like it C.