referee decisions determine too many matches

pony20

Also, in direct reference to the 171 match. Knee Slaps with one hand on the head, and pumping your legs... is by no means a shot. a shot is a full commitment to one or both legs...in essence... trying to score, not looking like he was trying to score...or showing blackmon and the whole crowd that he could shoot just in case he needed to :) . and whether or not he was tired after the match was his fault, tired doesnt make you a champion.... the wrestlers who are in shape... usually come out on top....by the way.

Edited by Bowser

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

171 match was ashamed blackmom is very good but on this day he did nothing to show his ability knox should have gotten at least 2 stalling calls, but he himself would take breaks. knox worked had the first 4 min. but then did not commit to his shoots at the end. 215 bailey did absolutely nothing the whole first 2 periods. then with 49 seconds left he hazlett gets hit with a stalling point why only GOD and the offical knows. then bailey for the last 49 trys to jack him with a hook to make it look like he did something.

i have no horse in the race and have nothing but respect for bradley. but the officals should not determine the match the wrestlers should. if hazlett had not pushed the action so much in the first 4 min. i would not had such a problem, with the call but bailey did nothing until after he had the point. at 189 campbell pressed from the first whistle merdith must be a monster strength wise campbell had some good early shoots which he just shrugged off. he has great hip strength. meredith did nothing offensive the whole 6 min. and i do not care for soddy much but this year there kids really attached hard unlike in years past they are always good. but soddy in past were the master stallers bradley looked alittle like that on championship nite. great matches bundy is a moose. gibson james in a class alone with lane not far behind. dix was a machine and ty cody is the best garbage collector of all time he will make you pay if your not perfect.

How do you say wrestle smart when Blackmon didn't wrestle at all,only ran and hid behind a favorable ref? The other guy wrestled like a champion he tried to wrestled and force the action Blackmon ran for cover, you call that wrestling? That's the kind of effort that hurts wrestling as sport. Blackmon didn't out wrestle anybody only out ran his opponent, that's not a champion!!and everybody in that arena but Bradley fans realize that and true Bradley wrestling fans know what type of championship match that was.

fwc00,

First off, your way off on the stalling calls. Bryant Blackmon wrestled a smart match. If I'm correct Blackmon has beaten Knox at least two other times. Both times were over the summer in freestyle. And both matches weren't even close. If I recall Bryant even scored big over him. Secondly, do you really think you could wrestle on very bad ankle injury as he has done? I don't think so. Thirdly, Bryant was just as offensive as Knox was slapping a guys thigh doesn't fool the referee's. That's not considered as being offensive. And if I'm not mistaken, Didn't Blackmon not get in deep on Knox at least three or four times? Towards the end when the match was getting tight, Knox had to be on the offensive, but Blackmon defended against his shots and did what he had to do to win.

Now onto the 215 lb. match. Matt Bailey should have had his running shoes on cause that is all the Union County guy did. Circling out of the underhooks was all that the Union County guy did. Matt stayed in the guys face and kept moving forward. But if that is what you saw and consider stalling then every good wrestler does that. But Bailey stayed in the guys face and kept the pressue on the guy. Bailey tried opening up, but it is entirely impossible when the guy your wrestling wants to run from you. L8er!!!!

Your not correct, Blackmon hasn't beat Knox two or three times, once in Freestyle and Knox was a Cadet and Blackmon a Jr. What's that got to do with tonight. As far as slapping a thigh it's hard to touch anything else when the opponent is back tracking. Blackmon only got in off countering Knox's shots. The comments regarding 171 have nothing to do with personal attack on either wrestler as I'm sure each was trying the best they could , however if you are a Bradley fan I'm sure you can find support for his style of wrestling tonight as well as Farragut fans can support Knox's style.This thread started off on bad ref's call's and other than Bradley fans I believe you would be hard pressed to find anyone else that didn't feel the ref should have warned Blackmon for stalling. As I remember that was the loudest booing I'ver heard in recent years at the State Championships and it couldn't be all Farragut fans as they only had about 15-20 fans in attendance. With that said,the match is over Blackmon won,congrats to him. As for wrestling on a bad ankle Knox was out for six weeks with a foot injury and is not near 100%.

Edited by fwc00

I thought the stalling was called pretty evenly across the board. I think that many times, refs are hesitant to call it in the first two periods. I know West was hit early. Anyway, I would rather see stalling called quickly to force the kids to wrestle, but I don't think that it was called unfairly, and certainly not in Bradley's favor.

drem2achev i dont know what planet you are from but if you say soddy-daisy wrestlers are the king stallers you must be from mars.i take that comment personal because i coach an aggressive attacking style of wrestling just ask around.i can remember only 2 stalling calls against us the entire tournament and we were losing both matches.this statement is crazy and if you would like to debate the subject ask around. get some facts and i am sure you will find out you are dead wrong.ask kyle james' opponents if he stalls .i take this remark as an insult directed at me as i coach like i said a pressing attacking style that is designed to wear people down and if we are stalling our whole philosophy is shot.

shane turner

asst. coach s.d. high

If a wrestler flees the mat he should not be hit for stalling, he should be hit for fleeing the mat and his opponent awarded 1 point. The same goes for a wrestler that does not hustle back to the center after going out of bounds, they should not be warned for stalling but hit for delay of match and their opponent awarded 1 point.

As an official I will hit the kid for stalling for not returning back to the center the first time. It gets the point across and sends a message to that wrestler of what he is supposed to do. This keeps people like those who are posting on this board from saying that the official decided the match.

tnsmokediver,

Sorry but you are wrong!!!!! If a wrestler does not hustle back to the center you hit them for delay of match and award their opponent 1 point. Try it and see if it get's their attention. If you are worried that people will feel that you are deciding the match, then you have a personality complex and may need to consider not officiating anymore.

I would like to know what can be done? One of the refs from the 171 match frequently refs in region 2. He is too old and too slow to ref for high school. He should go work the younger ages...although I am not sure he could keep up there either. And he wasn't a "bradley" ref either. Can TSSAA do anything about the poor referees? All these young men work hard. It is much tolerable to lose when the match is actually decided by the wrestlers. I did not hear any booing during the 152 match. Farragut lost that one...but it was a good match and was decided by the young men competing. Not the 2 adults standing on the mat.

There is something TSSAA can do about the officials. It's called recruitment. That means that everyone who does so well officiating from the stands are invited to register with TSSAA, but a black and white shirt and get out on the mat and try it for themselves.

I didn't even see the tournament this year, but it's the same thing after every tournament on here. The officials did this or that.

I will always remember something that on older official told me the second day of my first state tournament. "Don't worry about it kid, the best officials in the world are sitting right up there. In the bleachers!"

171 match was ashamed blackmom is very good but on this day he did nothing to show his ability knox should have gotten at least 2 stalling calls, but he himself would take breaks. knox worked had the first 4 min. but then did not commit to his shoots at the end. 215 bailey did absolutely nothing the whole first 2 periods. then with 49 seconds left he hazlett gets hit with a stalling point why only GOD and the offical knows. then bailey for the last 49 trys to jack him with a hook to make it look like he did something.

i have no horse in the race and have nothing but respect for bradley. but the officals should not determine the match the wrestlers should. if hazlett had not pushed the action so much in the first 4 min. i would not had such a problem, with the call but bailey did nothing until after he had the point. at 189 campbell pressed from the first whistle merdith must be a monster strength wise campbell had some good early shoots which he just shrugged off. he has great hip strength. meredith did nothing offensive the whole 6 min. and i do not care for soddy much but this year there kids really attached hard unlike in years past they are always good. but soddy in past were the master stallers bradley looked alittle like that on championship nite. great matches bundy is a moose. gibson james in a class alone with lane not far behind. dix was a machine and ty cody is the best garbage collector of all time he will make you pay if your not perfect.

A stalling call made has nothing to do with what went on in the first two periods. It is a call thast is made when it occurs. Just like an illegal hold. If a wrestler worked his but off the first two periods and decides to lay down the third he is stalling regardless of what happened earlier.

I think you people need to realize that you can whine about stalling all you want, but in 20 years the only thing anyone will remember is that Bryant Blackmon and Matt Bailey were STATE CHAMPIONS.

By the way,I am not a Bradley supporter,I go to Soddy and I saw nothing wrong with the way Blackman and Bailey won their matches.Good job guys.

Another thing, Shane Turner has got to be the most intense man on the planet, just come to one of our practices and you'll know he doesnt teach stalling.

Edited by KingCobra