THE VOICE OF THE HIGH SCHOOL

altshauf

i would like to give a little credit to the radio personalities that really excite their listeners. i am going to be coaching high school ball after i graduate from middle, and i have been all over the state listening to radio broadcasts statewide. i love it right around tournament time when the radio waves blare with enthusiasm from hometown announcers. mtsu has decent coverage of their football and men's basketball games, but my hometown high school media crew deserves a shout out because i really didn't appreciate GREAT in depth media coverage until i lost it. so here is to charles dawson (play by play) and jerry edwards (color) of Dyersburg high school on wlsq 94.3. these guys deserve a lot of credit considering they have full time jobs, and manage to cover the trojans like a blanket. charles is a long time friend of the family, and a die hard kentucky wildcat fan. heck, he even named his dog "caywood" after caywood ledford the long time voice of the uk cats basketball program. charles is constantly in contact with Dyersburg coaches, talks with them on air, and attends the athletic banquets after the end of the season. now i know that i live in murfreesboro now, and this town has 4 AAA schools. the coverage is more of a collective effort, and you do not get coverage of one team all year. but the guys at am1450 do a good job. i will say that i have heard plenty of games announced throughout the state, and i beleive that i was lucky enough to have the best in the state in two categories, best overall coverage, and most on air enthusiasm in the state. but let's give all of these guys credit. i want to know the announcers that do the best job in the state in coverage and enthusiasm!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

those guys are allright

they seem to favor their school dont they

i listened to the 13 double a tournament last night and heard that Phil or Paul Tinkel get on an official who used ot play at one of the schools playin in the game

that Tinkel fellow went on and on about how this official shouldnt be doin the game that his former team was playin in

he was pretty mean toward the guy

shouldnt radio people just talk about the game and not what their opinion is

if i was the ref he was talkin bout, i'd try & meet up with this Tinkel fellow and voice my own opinion in another way or two

it just was bad to hear that type of stuff on the radio

did anybody else hear this

what do you guys think

Each person has their own approach when it comes to announcing games :( If broadcasters would just stay informative and announce the game, it would make for more a professional broadcast.. No one tunes in to hear someone's opinion about an official.. Or for that matter, their opinion on anything.. That's what talk radio is for.. :blink: I listen to ESPN radio, but you know going in that these guys are 1) very informative on the subject matter at hand and 2) They are going to give their opinion.. But they aren't doing play by play of a basketball game when they do it. :D This phil tinkley guy more than likely needs to inform the listening audience what they tuned in for.. What team is winning the game, what quarter the game's in and how much time is left.. Getting personal about an official,

a coach, player or anyone else has no place when it comes to providing the public with a credible broadcast.. :( Just my thoughts on the matter... :P

those guys are allright

they seem to favor their school dont they

i listened to the 13 double a tournament last night and heard that Phil or Paul Tinkel get on an official who used ot play at one of the schools playin in the game

that Tinkel fellow went on and on about how this official shouldnt be doin the game that his former team was playin in

he was pretty mean toward the guy

shouldnt radio people just talk about the game and not what their opinion is

if i was the ref he was talkin bout, i'd try & meet up with this Tinkel fellow and voice my own opinion in another way or two

it just was bad to hear that type of stuff on the radio

did anybody else hear this

what do you guys think

I was doing color for Paul last night, as I have throughout the year, and he did not intend to imply that Ronald Ward was biased in his officiating of a game of his alma mater Union City. The point he was trying to make was in the past officials were not put in a situation where there bias could be questioned. Ronald Ward is one of the best officials we have in West Tennessee but it's not fair to him to have to call a Union City game. He will either be criticized as a "homer" by the opponents or catch heat from Union City people for going overboard the other way. I blame the assigning officer. Ronald did a great job and deserves to call tournament games, just don't give him Union City. Or anybody else for their hometown or a school they have a connection with. Good officals should not be placed in a situation where they can be second-guessed. There are too many other tournaments out there to have that happen. Put a little thought into assignments.

I would like to personally THANK Keith Adcock and Ray Tucker for their 25+ years of service, hard work, and dedication for making WECO 101.3 out of Wartburg one the area's, if not the state of Tennessee's, leading HS sports radion station. I mean these guys go ALL over (Cloudland to S Pitt to the 'Buro) covering their teams (Coalfield, Oakdale, Sunbright, and Wartburg) in football and basketball. If they don't have a county team playing, they have been known to pick up Oliver Springs out of Roane County, or other schools--maybe goosevol, kingbrain, or someone else can help me out there. These guys are and have been constants on the AIR since I have been alive!! This station has been known to pick up from Somerset, KY to Athens, Tn to Cookeville, TN covering the likes Morgan, Scott, Roane, Cumberland, Fentress, and parts of Fentress, Pickett, Campbell, Anderson, Knox, Loudon, Monroe, Rhea, and possibly even more counties like Meigs or McMinn on down through the Sequatchie Valley!!

I would also like to take a moment and tell the guys at The Hive 105.5 out of Oneida they do an excellent job covering both Oneida, Scott High sports, and other various county sports---on radio and TV!!!!!!

Keith and Ray do a great job. They never get on the officials, are never overly excited for their team (I am one of those who feels like radio announcers should be homers . . . But there is a place where you can go overboard and start to sound like Larry Munson at UGA :) ) and that southern accent adds a good flavor to the broadcast.

Tim Smith at Oneida does a great job also. He never gets on the officials too bad either. He has been known to say "int'resting" a time or two, though. :)