Sanders and Davis who really won

Hodg-E2

Based on rumblings in Williamson County, it my understanding that it has been confirmed that the wrestler in question was appropriate in leaving the mat area - no issue. The coaches remained in the mat area to challenge the score - no issue. Confirmed there were 3 cautions of false start recorded on video tape, there does not appear to be inappropriate tampering of the tape. The problem comes with how the 'final' decision was determined by the officials. I hope all parties can come to an appropriate resolution without harming the reputation of either athlete, wrestling program or high school.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on rumblings in Williamson County, it my understanding that it has been confirmed that the wrestler in question was appropriate in leaving the mat area - no issue.  The coaches remained in the mat area to challenge the score - no issue.  Confirmed there were 3 cautions of false start recorded on video tape, there does not appear to be inappropriate tampering of the tape.  The problem comes with how the 'final' decision was determined by the officials.  I hope all parties can come to an appropriate resolution without harming the reputation of either athlete, wrestling program or high school.

Thank you, sundancer, for your correct summation of this situation. I hope that everyone reads your post and gets it. The problem here has nothing to do with the coaches or the athlete. They were totally in compliance with the rules. The official discounted the score keeper, he misinformed the coaches about the rule pertaining to Bond Davis leaving the mat so that they gave up their dispute. And the TSSAA would not clear up the situation in the moment. The final decision was unequivocably incorrect.

TSSAA- Make this right. It would benefit both of these wrestlers.

I dont know why coach hill was not in one of the coaching chairs, but after the match was over it seemed that nobody was going to question it untill he told the "coaches" in the chairs. If they would have realized it they would have questioned it immediatly not after the match. At that point the call probably would have been changed, and davis awarded the winning point. If you are going to blame this win by Sanders on the ref, you should first blame it on the coaches for not questioning the call immediately. if they did not notice then the ref could have forgotten it to (not that he should have)

Having listened to all of the e-mail posting on this match, I am really sorry the match did not end without questions. The two officials who called this match are two of the most respected and experienced officials in Tennessee.

However, I am disturbed with most of the posts that state untruths. After the conclusion of the match, both wrestlers left the wrestling area as well as the coachs. Upon review of the scorer's sheet, the head ref of the match realized that there were 3 cautions. After a lenghty converstion with Mike Parker, Head of the tournament, as well as the head coach of the wrestler who won, Franklin entered the discussion. Franklin did not question the results while on the mat. It was decided that since all of the wrestlers and coachs had left the wrestling area, the score could not be changed.

For those of you who state that Franklin coach's stayed at the table, this is untrue. Franklin coaches did not enter into the discussion until about 7 or 8 minutes after the conclusion of the match. Do not tell the public that the Franklin coaches were arguing their case on the mat. This is false. This only occurred 7 - 8 minutes after the conclusion of the match.

Yes, the officials made an error, however, the coach's should have been on their toes and realized that it was the 3rd caution. The Franklin coach's shoud have realized there was a discreptioncy.

Knowing the situation at Franklin, I can't help but believe that Coach Hill would have realized what was gong on. Oh, I'm sorry, he got moved because of an upset parent. Isn't it ironic what goes around comes around.

And if anybody knows why coach hill was not on the matt with his wrestler please inform me. i have heard stories but i want to compare before i cut my own throat.

Coach Hill is a co-coach and shares responsibilities with others on staff. Next year, it appears Franklin will probably win the state and be much better with changes made with coaching. The athletes will be more united with more Davis', Ortiz's, Heacocks, Konz's, and Felix's on the team. Could be a new powerhouse immerging with BC short a Gibson, West, Bailey, Cordell, etc.

soms

Knowing the situation at Franklin, I can't help but believe that Coach Hill would have realized what was gong on. Oh, I'm sorry, he got moved because of an upset parent. Isn't it ironic what goes around comes around.

Evidently there is some confusion. The shuffling of the coaching staff at Franklin was an administrative decision. They have a growing program and Coach Hill has continued to work with the varsity boys, but has been focused on the freshman & JV. Franklin has JV guys that have had as many matches as some of the varsity guys. This is what grows a program. They have choosen to shuffle things around.

Yes, I know there are lots of rumors floating around, but don't assume they are true.

Believe what you wish - I choose to believe that this is how you 'reload' your team, by building your JV & Freshman teams so when the varsity boys either become injured or graduate you have experienced athletes filling their positions. Coach Hill, Welder & Gillespie work very well together and will continue to have a successful program. They have the same goals - building state champions.

Edited by sundancer