Region One first round action......

coaches_corner

I see no cross talk between the Lady Devils and Lady Cyclones, yet much between the Lady Tigers and Lady Rebels; or at least between theirs fans.

District Two seems to think they will get both substate spots; maybe so but.....

Region One, and particularly district one, has gotten a bad rep all year from the eggheads in the midstate; all anyone wants to talk about in the east is Seymour and Oliver Springs; I know that South Greene and Pigeon Forge have very good teams this year; the rebels have a storied history; However, Unicoi and E-town can play as well and just might have somthing to prove on Wednesday in morristown..............

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my opinion on the whole ref thing. Everyone gets favorable calls at some time or other. All of these teams mentioned, South Greene, Pigeon Forge, Elizabethon, and Unicoi, they all play hard basketball with alot of heart. As far as South Greene having the most favorable calls, South Greene and Coach Ricker made a name for themselves across the state when they went to state for so long a few years ago. Any team that makes a name for themselves like that is going to earn respect with the refs, and yes they may get away with more calls. South Greene, Sevier Co, Seymour, McMinn Central, etc. all of these teams have earned respect by making a name for themselves by making state appearances, and that might be a reason why they get "Rickers Refs". I personally do not think that you should have to make a name for your team to have consistent good called ball games, but sometimes thats just the way it is. Hopefully another one of these teams will go onto substate and hopefully onto state, and make a name for

themselves.

I believe the reason South Greene fans do not think the refs are good is not mainly about the foul issue, more than that I believe South Greene was not use to getting so many walks (on attempting to ball fake outside) called on them, and there were probably a few questionable charges called on Brooke Waddell (11). But I give tons of credit to Happy Valley, they never gave up. South Greene never gave up or got rattled and that was a good win for South Greene.

Pigeon Forge played well the other night, Nora Ramsey (32) really stepped up and played very well, if she starts playing like that every night that will really help them out with her giving maybe 15 points a night. (I will also have to say that I saw some foul language from both teams (SG and PF), but lets not stay focused on this, lets focus on the basketball).

Unicoi also looked good against Chuckey Doak. Their post player (that didnt start) reminds me alot of Tweed of South Greene the way she plays they both play so hard and give 100% all the time. South Greene vs. Unicoi should be a very good game.

I didnt see the whole Elizabethon game, but it looked like they were giving West Greene a really hard time with their defense, and it looked like West Greene just couldnt figure out what to do.

Granny passed away today at 2:15, she was 80. She went peacefully in her sleep with family by her side. I am sure she will be with us in spirit tomorrow, Go Cyclones!

Sorry to hear about the loss in Elizabethton! All of you will be in my thoughs and prayers.

Good Luck to all teams today!

As a person who did not see the HV/South Greene game, I have a question for anyone who has coached.

Have you ever seen a team press the whole game and not foul a lot?

I haven't. Most teams that press the whole game do either in the 2nd quarter or 2nd half get tired slap at the ball, not move their feet to get into position, go over the back, hold stacking players, etc...

So it amazes me that South Greene is THAT good of a pressing team! I will have to see them play. Even Rick Pitino coached teams fouled enough to put the other team in the bonus while pressing and they were the "best conditioned team in the country".

All that being said, I believe the officiating was bias. No high school girls team is that perfect!

yes..you are pretty smart..i am the post player from South Greene! I just like looking at all the remarks made on here of who everyone thinks will win and all of the confidense some people have in their teams....i believe all of the teams are pretty equal and if you threw all of us into a hat and drew one out..any one of us could come out....it just depends on what players are making the plays on that given night! I like playing Pigeon Forge and i am looking forward to playing unicoi tonight! Pigeon Forge is a great team...with great players...and i do agree with whoever said that sg has won their rep..we should be ok next year too cuz i am the only player South Greene will lose...yea...we need a big post..but hey..im not big either...only 5'9" but who is making excuses!

i say good luck to ALL of the teams tonight and the rest of the way...may the team who deserves it win!

oh yea....sorry about whoevers granny passed away! My thoughts and prayers go out to you!

also...sorry about some of my players mouths...accidents happen! i understand you being upset though! I have been called some of those names too and it isnt fun!

Wow, the Lady Cyclones laid it on Pigeon Forge tonight! What a great game, ladies!! I think we proved a lot of people wrong tonight...we can play with these people...and we hope to make it state, although it doesn't seem like a lot of people have that much confidence in us, lol. I think we're a pretty under rated team in this region. We hope to beat South Greene tomorrow night in the finals (they are a very very good team! I watched them play Unicoi tonight...they have awesome teamwork!) so we can play a home substate game. However, even if we don't, we're still excited to be in this great position. But it should be an awesome game. The Lady Cyclones put on a show, I believe. It looked as if PF just gave up in the second half. I know they probably didn't bring their best game tonight, but it's tournament time, and one off-night can kill you. Congratulations to the PF Tigers and an outstanding season...and let's go Lady Cyclones!! We're goin' all the way!

We'll miss hearin' about smokin' granny, but she's in a better place now. We love ya, coach, and we're hear for ya!!

I guess you watched enough of Unicoi County game to see one of your very own sitting right behind the S. Greene benching cheering every move that S. Greene made. Reckon Valnessa Redd didn't think that betsy could beat UC again. But myself I think it was just plain sorry of her to do it.Shows exactly what she is made of. Everybody else hoping to see both teams from conference advance but her true loyalty came through. As sorry as sorry gets. Must be sucking up to ricker for some reason.

Edited by bigAsports