Top 5 Coaches in Davidson Co

beachrmb

I really don't know about Davidson Co. in general, but 5 of the best coaches in middle TN have to be the following (in no particular order):

1.) Barry Jones (Sycamore)

2.) Jamie Wilson (Harpeth)

3.) Mike Craig (Waverly)

4.) Johnny Jackson (Cheatham)

5.) Jimmy Young (Mont. Cent.)

I realize that all of these coaches are currently coaching in District 10-AA, but when March of 2005 comes rolling around take a look at this district and these will once again be the favorites to win the tournament (and could possibly be the favorites to win the Regional tourney as well).

B)<_< ha ha ha

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coach at FRA has somwhere in the neighborhood off 700 career wins, and he has FRA in the state tourney after they won 4 games the year before he got there. That seems like a pretty good coach. The guy at DCA is also a very good coach. Won a state tournament at Ezell.

1 Marlon Simms- McGavock- Brought a team full of guards to make it all the way to the sectionals to lose to Wilson Central

2 Doc Shelton- One of the greatest coaches in Davidson Co. On there way to the state tournament

3 George Pitts- A great coach but always seems to sub his players out every 2 mins for some reason, maybe because he's trying to please some players parents

Doc Shelton is the best coach right now though but if I had to give a Coach of the Year Award I would give it to Marlon Simms for this year.

Edited by cobra24

What is the criteria for best coach? The best record or doing the best job with what you have. Anyone who has ever coached knows that you will not win without talent no matter how good a coach you have. That is not to say that you cannot improve a great deal. To me that is coaching. The best basketball coach in Davidson County, the one who got the most out of what he had, or didn't have for that matter, year after year unfortunately gave it up after last year.........................Mike Roller at David Lipscomb. Doc Shelton is a great coach. Unfortunately, he is more concerned with turning the spotlight on himself instead of his players. He has a talented team right now and when he has had talent he has won. When he hasn't, he has finished in the middle of the district. Ken Brooks has done an excellent job at CPA. Those kids believe in themselves now and are playing well. Jim Nollner year in and year out does an excellent job at Whites Creek. Next year will be his 40th in Metro. Troy Allen does a great job at Hillsboro and benefits from Aydelot's football recruiting. Cobra 24, I agree that Marlon Simms has done an excellent job this year at McGavock, however that same team of guards went to the sub-state last year without him. Yeah I know Felton and Deandre were gone this year, but Crenshaw and twin really stepped up. I loved coaching those guys. The thing that Simms did more than anything was bring much needed discipline to the program. And for the last time, Brentwood Academy IS NOT IN DAVIDSON COUNTY! They only come to Davidson County to get their players.

Now, the five best coaches in Davidson County THIS YEAR were

1. Ken Brooks-CPA

2. Winston Gamble-Hillwood--to win with what he had was a miracle

3. Marlin Simms-McGavock

4. The guy at FRA--after watching them earlier in the year it is a miracle they are in the state.

5. Doc Shelton--MLK---just don't tell him, he already has told himself. Many times.

That's the story and BANG i'm out. :)

I will agree with all of those who have said that Doc turns the spotlight upon himself. Sometimes Doc's antics do get a little out of hand. But his passion for the game and the love for his players overrules all of those antics. If you have ever seen Doc Shelton off the court he is a very humble man who loves to give credit to his players and his long list of assistant coaches. Even though Doc's antics maybe off the wall and his coaching stratagies a little awkward, he's got 2 things that coaches envy. Those are state rings! His passion for the game and his players definatley is overshadowed by what people call his weird "antics"

-BIG B

CoachF and Bigchief are right on the money with their selections!! Just to add a few "Honorable Mentions" to the list: Presley Ramsey of DCA, Nolner of Whites Creek, Troy Allen at Hillsboro, James Winrow of Stratford, and last, but certainly not least is yourselves CoachF and Bigchief (back in "the day")!

All of the coaches mentioned above and in the top 5 are excellent coaches as well as excellent roll models for their athletes to follow!!

Whoever said James Shelton has love for his players has obviously never talked to the man or PLAYED for him. Shelton is the most 2 faced man i have ever known! He has no consideration for his players. He treats them like slaves. And all his "great" assistant coaches are up his ######!

Rosco80, who are you? Joe Dubin and Walter Wells.? Two of the funniest guys I have ever known. I watch Joe on Channel 2 every morning. I think Walter is still at Eastern Kentucky. Those two names bring back some great memories for me. Yodude, I agree that Coach Winrow does a good job. As far as myself, I will have to relocate to enjoy those "good old days" again I'm afraid. Every year the kids coming in get a little lazier and less skilled. Doesn't anyone teach the game in middle school anymore? All they do is put them in a 2-3 zone and sag in. They can't dribble, certainly can't shoot, and couldn't guard my 63 year old mother (she does still have a mean hook shot). Maybe I just need a change of scenery? ;)