I will say that by the time Kacie Pharris is a sophomore she will be dunking on a regular basis. She's 6'4 right now and she is only in the 6th grade so she has 4 years to grow and get stronger, she is up around the rim right now. Her arms as so long that she can stand flat footed and grab half way up on the net right now! Boy won't they love her in Class A basketball! :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people are in a dream world with all this talk about girls dunking. As many great athletes as UT has had over the years how many ever dunked in a game? One, Michelle Snow. So forget about dunking and concentrate on skills that will really make a girl a good basketball player.

Hey stupid its not like they aren't concentrating on their skills, we were just talking about dunking, and just because UT only had one do it doesn't mean another can't! Trust me this girl that i speak of is concentrating on basketball and playing AAU with Shelbyville so i think she will get the fundemental skills down there genious. :(

Snow's dunk was uncontested. A contested dunk is difficult for anyone in High School. It would be great to see a female dunk in high school in Tennessee ! I'd travel to see it.

exactly. dunking is one thing, dunking with someone on you is different. maybe, possibly on a fast break somone might could get up there, but i seriously doubt any girl in TN is going to back down on someone and slam it

Dunking the basketball is overrated. I would prefer to see players who are fundamentally sound and hit 90 % of their free throws in the clutch over a player who can dunk a basketball. There will be far more games decided at the free throw line than on a slam dunk.

Apparently I am in the minority here, but to me the beauty of the girls game is that it is more fundamently sound than is boy's basketball. Girls teams are more creative offensively. They don't rely solely on dunk shots and three pointers. The

reason shooting percentages are down in boys/men's basketball is because they take more off balance shots: therefore the dunk is a higher percentage shot than an off balance heave. The dunk is not a sure shot, and certainly wouldn't be for high school girls. A layup is a higher percentage shot for a player that doesn't possess great jumping ability. Even those that do possess great jumping ability miss dunk shots because they are more concerned with wowwing the crowd than they are simply making a shot and helping their team score. This is my honest opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Apparently I am in the minority here, but to me the beauty of the girls game is that it is more fundamently sound than is boy's basketball. Girls teams are more creative offensively. They don't rely solely on dunk shots and three pointers. The reason shooting percentages are down in boys/men's basketball is because they take more off balance shots: therefore the dunk is a higher percentage shot than an off balance heave. The dunk is not a sure shot, and certainly wouldn't be for high school girls. A layup is a higher percentage shot for a player that doesn't possess great jumping ability. Even those that do possess great jumping ability miss dunk shots because they are more concerned with wowwing the crowd than they are simply making a shot and helping their team score. This is my honest opinion. Feel free to disagree.

I totally agree with your assesment here Vern, you are correct, however all we are talking about is a "dunk" and it would just be one of those things you've never seen before and would like to see happen type of deals. I would much rather have a girl hit 90% of her free throws and be fundementally sound than be able to dunk but if shes up there that high good things will happen! ;) So as long as we are wishing here, i'll just wish that by the time our 6'4 sixth grader is in high school she is able to dunk, hit 100% of her free throws and is fundementally sound enough to help us win another 4 in a row! Hows that? ;)

monica chumney is the most gifted girl i've seen....she is more athletic than anyone i know.....when she was in 8th grade....we had a race at school between her and our startin tailback....it was a 100 yard dash and she beat him...i'm tellin you....she has a great chance to be dunking....she is jus so athletic... :blink: