Transfer to Shelbville - Role play

OK...Many of you like to discuss Shelbyville and its supposed "recruiting." I thought this might be a fun post. Let's first address the two kids on Shelbyville's team that transferred from other cities.

First, there is the most known player. Tabitha Almader...she transferred from Brentwood over the summer. I am assuming her parents wanted her to play ball here as well in hopes that colleges might see her and give her a scholarship next year. While Shelbyville did make the state finals? Could she have gotten the same exposure if she had stayed at Brentwood, who also went to state? Who knows. Tabitha should be a great player for Shelbyville next year and will more than likely start.

Second, you have the Kelley girl. She came from Coffee County. This was her final year and she got limited playing time. Was it a wise decision to play for Shelbyville instead and could she have gotten more PT at Coffee County?

Third, just for kicks. Let's say you have a daughter that has just finished middle school. You live on the Bedford County line along any neighboring county. Your daughter has shown superstar talent. She has been told that she could go on to playin college if she works hard. The school she is planning on attending just went 7-20 this past year and have been in a rut for quite some time. What do you do? Your daughter does not have the grades to get an academic scholarship. Do you transfer your kid to Shelbyville or stay at the old school or go to a neighboring county? What if she was an average player and probably would not start at Shelbyville even if she did move?

Just some random thoughts to see what people would do if put in this situation. This is one that has presented itself to the parents who have transfered their child to Shelbyville. This should make for a fun post. ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A transfer to me is defined as someone that has already established their eligibility at the High School level and moved to another school. Not a middle school kid. They can go wherever they wish and not be considered a transfer. It is hard for a kid or parent to turn down what Shelbyville has to offer. That is where the TSSAA should and must move in. But I doubt it. When you hear the word "control" used in regards to the TSSAA, it means control of money or something else not what it should be.

I asked this same question at the beginning of the season. The answer I got was what does your daugther want to do and what makes her happy. Its funny how we ask this about Shelbyville but is this not going on any where else. Bedford Co has a open School district, so you are not zone in the county. And that is voted on by the county not Insell

First off basketballfan2003 if you are going to call Tabitha Almader by her name then you need to call Katrina Kelly by her name and not call her the Kelly girl.

Now for what I would do, first if my daughter was a average player who probably wouldn't start at Shelbyville, no way would I move her. Shelbyville wouldn't want her if she was going to ride the bench and the daughter would be much happier being at a place she could play.

If my daughter had above average talent possibly could get a scholarship and I live say in Brentwood. No I wouldn't make that move either. She could get a scholarship just as well playing in Brentwood as she could Shelbyville.

If my daughter had above average talent and we live in a rural small town type area with a small school. If she has the opportunity to go to a Shelbyville or a bigger school then yes I would make that move.

I am not from Shelbyville or near there but I think this is a very good topic. It seems to me just from reading on here that the Shelbyville "recruiting" case is much like the one at Oak Ridge. I dont know or dont have many facts about the Oak Ridge coaches or who they have recruited but I do have to say that I believe it is wrong. Melissa Uner from Sevier County High School was recruited by Oak Ridge her 8th grade year at New Center. Coach Prudden was at Melissa's AAU games and such and tried to get her to go to Oak Ridge. In my opinion Melissa made the better choice to stay at Sevier County. She has had a wonderful career there and hey, she even has a gold ball. She has got just as much exposure as she would have gotten at Oak Ridge if not more. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that if these talented girls that are being recruited would just say no then Coach Insell's recruiting system would not work therefore the teams these girls play for could very well make a run at the state title just like Shelbyville does every year. I'm not saying that if my child had a choice to go to Shelbyville or somewhere else and it was in the same county I wouldnt send my child there. Thats like saying if my child had the choice to go to either Sevier County who has a gold ball or Gatlinburg Pittman I would make her go to GP just because thats where she "should" go. The big problem comes when coaches "recruit" young ladies(or young men) from other counties...now.. I DO have a problem with that.

Edited by Diamond2

Basketballfan2003, you said: First, there is the most known player. Tabitha Almader...she transferred from Brentwood over the summer. I am assuming her parents wanted her to play ball here as well in hopes that colleges might see her and give her a scholarship next year. While Shelbyville did make the state finals? Could she have gotten the same exposure if she had stayed at Brentwood, who also went to state? Who knows. Tabitha should be a great player for Shelbyville next year and will more than likely start.

She started all year. Just wanted to let you know. I think she should have stayed at Brentwood. She would get just as big a scholarship at Brentwood or bigger she may get lost in the greatness of Rick.

Edited by chs4life

I guess we know for sure that Coach Prudden tried to recruit Melissa Uner. Interesting. Could she have been at the game to watch some of her kids play AAU ball that were already living in and attending Oak Ridge. Might have been there to watch some of her friends kids play. I don't guess that could ever happen. I am sure that we got that breaking news straight from the horses mouth. Keep on guessing cause that one is way off base. Also, I hadn't noticed that Uner had signed or committed to a school. Guess she is still weighing her options.

First off basketballfan2003 if you are going to call Tabitha Almader by her name then you need to call Katrina Kelly by her name and not call her the Kelly girl.

Chill maybe he didn't know her first name...sheesh.... I agree with diamond 2 if girls getting recruited would say no then this recruiting stuff wouldn't work, In Katrina Kelly's place she shouldn't have made that particular move, but from what I hear Crabtree cut her from the team before the 01-02 season and before her move from the program, Kelly then transferred after being cut, if you can't play at Coffee can you play at Shelbyville??Just an interesting observation to me..Maybe it would have been in her best interest to go to someplace like Cannon or Tullahoma.. in Almader's case, I guess it's just a judgement call you have to make, but if you are average where you're at why go to somewhere where you will seem to become less than average OR if you're great where you're at why move and take the chance of having to sit?? Because my say is that you take that chance anytime you transfer.

Edited by tearin'itup