Transfer to Shelbville - Role play

OK...Many of you like to discuss Shelbyville and its supposed "recruiting." I thought this might be a fun post. Let's first address the two kids on Shelbyville's team that transferred from other cities.

First, there is the most known player. Tabitha Almader...she transferred from Brentwood over the summer. I am assuming her parents wanted her to play ball here as well in hopes that colleges might see her and give her a scholarship next year. While Shelbyville did make the state finals? Could she have gotten the same exposure if she had stayed at Brentwood, who also went to state? Who knows. Tabitha should be a great player for Shelbyville next year and will more than likely start.

Second, you have the Kelley girl. She came from Coffee County. This was her final year and she got limited playing time. Was it a wise decision to play for Shelbyville instead and could she have gotten more PT at Coffee County?

Third, just for kicks. Let's say you have a daughter that has just finished middle school. You live on the Bedford County line along any neighboring county. Your daughter has shown superstar talent. She has been told that she could go on to playin college if she works hard. The school she is planning on attending just went 7-20 this past year and have been in a rut for quite some time. What do you do? Your daughter does not have the grades to get an academic scholarship. Do you transfer your kid to Shelbyville or stay at the old school or go to a neighboring county? What if she was an average player and probably would not start at Shelbyville even if she did move?

Just some random thoughts to see what people would do if put in this situation. This is one that has presented itself to the parents who have transfered their child to Shelbyville. This should make for a fun post.  :unsure:

Where does the parents of the 2 girls you mentioned work in Shelbyville? Shelbyville doesn't recruit. Just ask them. :blink: Let me get this straight. These parents sell their house. Move to Shelbyville. Find a job. Then their daughter tries out for the team in hopes she will make it. Give me a break. They already know she has made the team and that is recruiting.

Edited by 85warrior

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, the girl's parents are wrong in moving to Shelbyville to let their girl play for Rick Insell. A gold ball is nice, but it really doesn't have a lot to do with getting a college scholarship. Do you really think the Fuller and Newman would NOT of gotten scholarships if they had played for some other high school? If you want to give your girl a real chance to get a scholarship, get her on a good AAU or YBOA team.

I have attented many state finals and national finals for AAU and there are ten to twenty times as many college coaches at the AAU and the YBOA games as at any state final game.

I have sat in the stands during the FIRST round of games at the AAU nationals and counted over 20 college scouts and coaches in the stands, and they stay for half of the game and then another 20 come in to watch the second half. The gym usually has a section of seats reserved just for the college coaches. Look at it from their point of view, they can attend one final and see hundreds of the best of the state or nation playing the best players available and only have to devote one or two days to do it. In the TSSAA finals, they get to see maybe 10 or 15 good players play and have to spend 3 or 4 days to do it.

Last summer I took my daughter around to 7 different colleges for unofficial visits to the campus and to meet the different coaches. At all seven of the colleges the coaches wanted to know who she played for during the summer, not what high school she attended.

So, if you have a daughter who is in middle school and you want to get her into a good college on a scholarship, let her stay in her home town, go to school with her friends, but get her onto a good AAU or YBOA team.

It seems to me that one item that seems to get overlooked in this discussion is Coach Insell's committment to his players....From what I have seen of their program (which is not much) it looks like that Coach Insell goes out of his way to make sure the ones who have the potential to play at the next level get that opportunity. Am I mistaken??

Given the opportunity and right set of circumstances (job, money, etc.) I can't find any reason why you wouldn't move your kid so that they could play for a Rick Insell, Jim Brown or Kevin McMillan.

Well basically I see it as Shelbyville is winning state titles with all-star teams. These aren't girls from that area. Maybe some are but not most. Whatever happened to playing for the name of the city or county on the jersey. Everyone needs to have a little more pride and commitment to their hometown or school. I wouldn't move my child anywhere to play ball unless I felt there was a moral problem with the coach or something. If your child is good enough to play college ball they'll get noticed no matter where they play. Also, what's so hard about coaching and winning state titles with a bunch of all-americans. Insell may be a very good coach, but he hasn't instilled the fundamentals of the game into these girls. They come to him already polished players. It's easy to coach talent. I will say it seems he does a good job keeping them together. It would be easy for a bunch of all-americans to fight amongst each other. I think these coaches who take their hometown girls and work with them from the time their freshmen or before and turn them into basketball players are the coaches that need praise. I wouldn't be proud if I was Shelbyville that I struggled for most of the game with a bunch of girls born and raised in Greenville. However, I will also say this I would say that it's getting to the point now that Shelbyville probably doesn't recruit as much as you think. Players probably come just in the hopes of making the team. If you want to be on an all-star team do that in AAU, if you want to play high school basketball play for the name on the jersey.

Edited by paintwatcher

Funny you should mention Greeneville's homegrown girls since the city system there is just perfect for recruiting now that they have Burkey in place. The city school system accepts students from outside the city limits; both in the county and outside the county, for a nominal tuition. It is no secret South Greene has benefited from the county's open enrollment policy in the past. He was the best in the county for years.However, since Lynn Burkey is at Greeneville now it will be interesting to see how the quality of his talent diminishes. Greeneville's enrollment policy could affect surrounding counties as well. Hamblen, Hawkins, , Cocke, Jefferson and Washington counties are all in close proximity to Greeneville and except for Jeff Co, MoWest , and Daniel Boone, none have been particularly successful. If I were the parent of one of the small school sectional contenders in say Rogersville, for example, it might be worth the tuition and drive to Greeneville to see that my daughter gets the coaching she needs instead of languishing at Cherokee or Volunteer. Greeneville has a lot to offer: first class academics, incredible performing arts programs, and consistently competitive sports programs. Don't think Shelbyville and Oak Ridge are the only schools that recruit. It will become more widespread as more systems implement enrollment-for -tuition programs to offset budget cuts. It won't take long for high schools to realize what a cash cow their sports programs are.

Never said Shelbyville was the only one. They're just the most prevalent. And I don't think the Greenville's run this year had anything to do with recruiting. In the future it probably will however. And I haven't heard of any school in a long time not taking out of county students for tuition. This has been going on a long time and unless Greenville is behiend in the times I'm sure it's been going on there a long time too. However, I don't know the statistics but I would guess that well over half of Shelbyville's team should be playing somewhere else. And I wouldn't get glory out of playing poker with a 5 year old, stacking the deck, and taking his money. So what glory is there in Shelbyville winning the state championship.

Edited by paintwatcher

This topic is funny. I only know of two girls on Shelbyville's team that are not from Shelbyville or Bedford County this year and that's Almader and Kelley. Everyone else either grew up in Shelbyville or Bedford County as far as I know. The only other one who didn't grow up in Shelbyville was Newman and her mom is from there and played for Insell. So I'd say about 90% are homegrown.

Since Newman and Fuller account for more than half of the team's scoring, I can't see why it would be an issue. Any of the other girls on the team could fill in the other 3 positions and they would still beat most teams. I think most people just "beat this dead horse to death"! Shelbyville has an awesome program, coach and players, regardless of the negative comments.

It's an issue because we win darryl. If we didn't no one would even notice us. I lived in Unionville, TN where Community High School is but played Football. So I drove to Shelbyville to play football. Oh BTW we didn't win the state so it didn't matter to anyone. The problem is the same in society. EVERYONE wants the MOST for the least amount of work. You won't get that with Shelbyville. We aren't laying down for anyone. painterwatcher knows NOTHING of the program here. He might have seen a game or two. And thinks "THEY HAVE TO CHEAT" to be that good. He is as lost as last years Easter Eggs. ;)

What I think everyone fells to understand or is WILLINGLY ignorant of (That means STUPID ON PURPOSE) :D is the fact of how Shelbyville has done this and will continue to do this. It is a PROGRAM. All high school sports are becoming year around events. With extra amateur competitions, Traveling Teams and off-season conditioning high school athletics are becoming even MORE competitive than ever. The major difference in basketball is Shelbyville started sooner. IMNSHO the late 80s early 90s where the time they completely dominated AAA basketball and no one could touch them. That was the payoff for the youth programs that started in the late 70s early 80s. Other teams in the state quickly learned and are now utilizing the same systems much to their benefit.

Shelbyville can & will be beat. They will probably lose a few next year. But one thing has been true for the last 20 or so years. The road to that "AAA Gold Ball" comes threw Shelbyville. If you want it you will probably have to beat us to get to it. Are your underclassmen playing AAU right now? Not ONE or TWO of them but ALL of them. Ours are and we'll see just how much we fall off next year. WORK, WORK, WORK. That's what it takes to become successful. Some of you folks sound like a particular political party we have in this country. You'll never have a trophy handed to you for showing up. At least not in AAA while the Eaglettes still breathe. Just in case you haven't seen it here's a site that shows you what hard work can accomplish. Check out the "Did You Know" page.

SCHS Eaglettes

Edited by FlatCreekJim

Our school had been down for years. I have a friend who left our school to play for a better program. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Our school told the TSSAA and they sent my friend a letter saying your welcome to go to that school, but you can't play for the better program, it isn't right. So, my friend came back to play for our school and we won three games in three years and the other school lost three games in three years. We don't feel better about ourselves. We both have nothing but contempt for the TSSAA and the high school administrators that hide behind them. I hope Shelbyville wins twenty more Gold balls. Everytime they win one its like spit in the TSSAA's eye.

Now your friend could have played for the better program if he had set out a year. I would have no problem whatsoever if transfers would sit out a year and then play. Because that would cut down on the transfers. And if you had worked harder instead of sulking about losing and blaming TSSAA instead of yourselves maybe you would've won a couple more games. I didn't win a lot in high school but I wouldn't have went to another school for any amount of money in the world. Don't get me wrong Shelbyville isn't the only school that recruits, they're just the best at it. So you people seriously think the best girls team in AAA just happens to end up in Shelbyville 8 out of every 10 years by some crazy coincidence. Don't think so. Cheating is Cheating.