Single A State Ruled By Private Schools!

act is not a joke... and i'll tell you my sat if you want to know... but that doesn't really matter... i just have to defend my intelligence when it is insulted, especially by people who, for all i know, could have dropped out of middle school.

And this is the typical private school elitist attitude.

No yours is the attitude of many people who are not affiliated with a private school. I`ve seen it time and time again. It does exist and it is real.

VG, I've seen that type of attitude from the private supporters since before I found this site. Don't tell me what I do or don't see. Not all of them are that way, I know, but your jab at me there makes you look like the type. I thought you were above that. They all tell us to tough it out, work harder... like we aren't. I get the impression that you have seen Perry Co. play. Don't tell me we are not working hard. My son has not really stopped working out or going to football practice since spring of his 8th grade year, except for the dead weeks in the summer. He will be a junior this fall.

Oh forget it. You can't argue with the private people. You either ridicule anyone who disagrees with you, or you try to change the subject, if we get too close to the truth. You will never convince me that there is not some inherent advantage that a private school has over a public school of a similar size. I don't know what it is. All the privates in 1A are in urban areas, only 1 Public is (Lookout Valley). Maybe that's it. An advantage is still an advantage. At the 1A level, the urban/rural disparity IS a private/public disparity. The elitist, holier-than-thou attitude that the majority of the private supporters demonstrate is not helping your cause. I, for one, will never make any more comments on this board again. I am sick and tired of being looked down upon and made to feel like some kind of stupid redneck. I will, however, do everything in my power to work towards a complete split. If we can't get the T$$AA to see that it is the only solution, I will support anyone who wishes to get the 1A publics together to form their own association outside the T$$AA.

1AMAN,

There is one telling statement in your last post of this thread. "You will never convince me that there is not some inherent advantage that a private school has over a public school of some similar size. I don't know what it is."

If you cannot be convinced, then I for one, will not try to do so. I do regret your decision to drop out of this discussion. I agree that it sometimes gets a little out of bounds. (I have been guilty of nasty, sarcastic remarks and many others have also.) One of the things I believe we need to do is put aside our differences (at least respect each other) and work together for the good of high school students and athletics.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1AMAN....If you really think private schools have an elitist attitude, it`s because you have convinced yourself that they have one. I suggest that you have placed them on that pedestal in your own mind. I know a lot of folks that go to the Jackson area private schools and they are not elitist. They are good common hardworking people like yourself and me. They may be fortunate enough to have or find the money to send their kids to a private school, but that does not make them elitist. Perry County`s football program has not been around long enough to remember back to the first 20 years or so of USJ football when they regularly got slobber knocked by public schools. They never even made the playoffs until the late 80`s and didn`t win a playoff game until the early 90`s. Being from around here and knowing a lot of families from USJ I know that what they had to do was exactly what some of them have told public schools and that is to work harder. USJ was never really any good in football until Marley got there. The one thing Marley has done is convince players that they have to work hard to be good. He`s been able to motivate enough dedication from them to be successful. Not just a few, but a teamful. They have a tradition now. Young players see what the older players do and they know what`s expected and can see first hand what it takes to be good. It`s much like Perry County was for years in basketball. They once had a great tradition (they may still do, but I just don`t keep up with it anymore) but I can guarantee that there was once a time when little boys shot hoops in their backyard with dreams of playing for Perry County someday. Some private schools have established traditions (some have not) from hard work. I`m sure they feel resentment now that they have turned the tables a bit and are accused of having unfair advantages.How demeaning is it for public schools to tell private schools after working hard to achieve something that it is only because you have unfair advantages?

I congratulate your son for having the dedication to win. I really hope Perry County can continue to improve and have a very successful program there. I wish that for any school (public or private). Look at a team like Maryville. Do they just have uniquely outstanding athletes? No. But what they have done is built a tradition that the school and the community have bought into. Their players have been to the top of the mountain and know what is expected. Most of the time it takes a good coach that can motivate to get this ball rolling. TCA hired Michael Hodum a few years ago and he`s doing that there. Before he arrived football was terrible there. They had 19 on the team just a few years ago and they rarely won games. One of the first things Hodum did was to schedule very weak opponents for them. TCA was able to win a few games and all of a sudden football began to be fun. More kids came out for the team. TCA knocked USJ out of the playoffs this year. It wasn`t because they had advantages, because I can guarantee that no one in their right mind would pay to go to TCA because of their football program. They did it from within from the kids they had available.

do private school kids have an elitist attitude?

of course they do. and it is silly to suggest otherwise.

as a matter of fact, so do the public school kids.

have you forgotten that we are talking about teenagers?

have you forgotten your own trip thru those years?

teenagers are not small adults.

they are teenagers, and they are all about belonging.

and the flip side of belonging is rejecting those who do not belong.

not only do private and public kids badmouth each other,

they'll even badmouth other private (or public) kids from different schools.

teenagers are trying to find their own identity.

and for the first time, not just as extensions of their parents.

and it is important that they are part of THE in group.

and that every other group is inferior.

kids dont act that way because they are overconfident.

it is because they lack confidence.

look at my young friend,

who earlier in this thread was compelled to respond

to a perceived insult to his intelligence.

obviously he is no dummy.

but he was distressed at the thought an old man he doesnt even know

might think he was.

do you think that 10 years from now he would give a rats tail what i think of his intelligence?

it doesnt bother me (or the majority of us old folks) when someone calls me an idiot.

heck, t-gen does it about once a month.

but i have long since figured out who i am, and am satisfied with it.

(and, nope, i'm not a member of THE in group).

so sure, our kids demonstrate an "elitist" attitude.

all of them.

that is one reason i'd rather see us continue to play each other.

it is good to learn, while we are at the learning age,

that others may seem different than us,

but we are really all the same.

Not that this is worth anything.... but every guy on my college football team that was from a private background had a nose in the air blueblood attitude. Holier than thou for a couple of them. If 1a man has had the same exposure that I have had then no surprise huh?

beethoven,

Let me ask a hypothetical question. If I said that every person with a public school background could be characterized in some negative way, what would you say? Think about it.

do private school kids have an elitist attitude?

of course they do. and it is silly to suggest otherwise.

as a matter of fact, so do the public school kids.

have you forgotten that we are talking about teenagers?

have you forgotten your own trip thru those years?

teenagers are not small adults.

they are teenagers, and they are all about belonging.

and the flip side of belonging is rejecting those who do not belong.

not only do private and public kids badmouth each other,

they'll even badmouth other private (or public) kids from different schools.

teenagers are trying to find their own identity.

and for the first time, not just as extensions of their parents.

and it is important that they are part of THE in group.

and that every other group is inferior.

look at my young friend,

might think he was.

do you think that 10 years from now he would give a rats tail what i think of his intelligence?

it doesnt bother me (or the majority of us old folks) when someone calls me an idiot.

heck, t-gen does it about once a month.

but i have long since figured out who i am, and am satisfied with it.

(and, nope, i'm not a member of THE in group).

so sure, our kids demonstrate an "elitist" attitude.

all of them.

that is one reason i'd rather see us continue to play each other.

it is good to learn, while we are at the learning age,

that others may seem different than us,

but we are really all the same.

Laz, I know I said I was going to stay out of this, but I had to get this one last point in. I'm not just talking about the kids here. As a part of the chain crew here in Perry Co. I have the opportunity to be around the visitors team (and for that matter the visitors' crowd, the visitors' seats are very close to the sideline). It is not just the kids. In fact, the kids are usually not the worst offenders.

beethoven,

Let me ask a hypothetical question. If I said that every person with a public school background could be characterized in some negative way, what would you say? Think about it.

I'd say your exactly right. The opposite extreme was the good 'ole boys from small rural areas in TN. They had the typical redneck attitude. Another point of the paradigm was the urban blacks and another would be the urban whites. All groups had negatives and positives. Throught the course of 5 years all these groups melded into a cohesive group working towards common goals, but over that same amount of time the guys with private backgrounds retained a lot more of that attitude. They were also much more likely to join a fraternity for some reason. Hmmm hadn't really considered that in a while.

Of course it easy to find negatives in anyone. Just ask 'ole queenbee if I have any negatives. I'm sure she can spew forth some, just like the little girl on the exorcist spewed on that catholic priest.

Heh heh!

:lol:

Regardless of college experience or things allegedly experienced on sidelines, have any of the posters on these boards been snobby or taken an elitist attitude? I have found that posters like 1aman who are blatantly aggressive throw those accusations out but I have never seen it myself.

I am sorry for whatever bad experiences some people may have had with private education. I am sorry for whatever bad experiences some people may have had with public education.

It seems to me that those of us who post from the private schools want the opposite of elitism. We are trying to stay WITH the public schools and play. It is the other point of view that is elitist. Perhaps that is why those who hold it see it everywhere else...

look at my young friend,

might think he was.

i don't really care what you think of my intelligence because i don't even know you. i was just hoping you would lighten up on bashing me/my argument when in actuality it was not much more far-fetched than yours... but point well-taken about "elitist" attitudes because im sick of these public school parents stereotyping me.

boldtoast,

"have any of the posters on these boards been snobby or taken an elitist attitude?"

intemperate posts have come from all sides. i dont hold you responsible for every poster on your side. i hope you will do the same for me?

babe,

"farfetched". you lose me. all i did was tally up ALL the wins and losses over the last 30 some odd years and point out that, when the two played, private schools won 65% of the time and publics won 35%. also that rate of winning is only the average, the rate has not been a constant. privates started out winning just over half, but have built that up to better than a 90% to 10% advantage in the last couple of years. we can debate meaning to our hearts content, but those are the facts.

i a man,

your experiences have not matched mine. by and large, i have been treated extremely well by the privates, and i havent heard that many disparaging remarks. now, there are exceptions. but i have certainly heard just as many from publics. if i recall the source correctly (after about 40 years), in piaget's theories on intellectual development, ethical thought passes thru several stages. and not everyone makes it to the top level. why be bitter about those you heard. they are more deserving of pity.

and, finally, our laugh for the day:

"im sick of these public school parents stereotyping me."

(the more i think about it, the funnier it gets. doesnt top the woman who once told me "all white people are prejudiced", but its close)

I should add that despite the attitude I was and still am friends with many of these guys. On further review I can honestly say that one of the many was a down to earth as anyone I've ever known. Of course the level of competition on a team for those 11 available offensive slots may have colored my view of my peers. We were all friends, but practice was a war to be the starter. No friends there.