"Stoney Creek" Rangers

krichunaka

The loudest roar occured just before the game began. The Unaka fans absolutely erupted when the Public Address Announcer introduced "The Unaka Rangers from"......(and a noticable pause)......"STONEY CREEK TENNESSEE!"

It seems that someone got the word out that the otherwise inconspicuous Stoney Creek area of Carter County was more aptly identified as the Home of the Rangers. The specialized introduction caused quite an uproar...and a lot of back and forth chatter down on Press Row.

It was great seeing Johnson City Press writer/editor/extraordinaire Doug Fritz.

The locker room scene was overwhelmingly subdued. No boasting from coaches or players. Everyone from the Winners' side reminded us that a lot of things had to fall Unaka's way for the Rangers to claim their new title of, "State Champions." Likewise, the second place finishers (not losers) were Gracious in defeat, as were the very courteous Coaches and Players from Temple yesterday. That was probably the most interesting phenomenon at the Tournament. The class exhibited by the players, coaches and fans - Before and After the games - from everyone involved.

And to the Ranger Cheerleaders: much congratulations on your outstanding Award.

Kim Richardson

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read this closely and please understand this is not meant to be negative to anyone!!!

Tough and tested by many, the 2004 State A Champions “Unaka Rangers” are the best and have the GOLD BALL to prove it. When push came to shove the Rangers of ’04 just accomplished something nobody else could do or can ever do and that is to win the 2004 State A Championship and be awarded the GOLD BALL. This came from hard work, team play, dedicated coaching and strong support from the little Community called “STONEY CREEK”. As the GOLD BALL was passed around from one fan to the next and everyone got to touch it, feel it, and smell it the reality begin to set in that Unaka had won it’s first State Championship.

Regardless how many different ways people “posters” may say how this came to be the bottom line will is that on March 20, 2004 the Unaka RANGERS won the State Championship. No individual names or stats, no lucky breaks, just hard work and the never quit attitude of this special group of young men will forever be part of the history of TSSAA Basketball.

Congratulation to each and every player, coach and fan that should never forget how sweet this victory is.

GO RANGERS!!!

:angry:

Congratulations To My Unaka Rangers !!! The Best Single "A" High School BasketBall TEAM ! In The State !! As a Parent of one of the Ranger players this is one of the proudest days of my life !!! My Son Plays Basketball for one of the BEST Teams in the State of Tennessee !! Coached By The Best Coaches in the State !! I can say the Lord has Blessed Me yet AGAIN ! and I Thank Him For it !

There's one thing you can say about the Ranger fans, they were always there for the boys. Be it winning or losing, the fan support was fantastic. The Rangers have had their ups and certainly their share of downs this year but this tournament really showed what the team was made of. Each player stepped up their game, determined to bring home the gold to the "creek". Rusty Chambers said before he went to the boro that this was his last year and he'd do what ever it took to win. Scoring, passing, rebounding, guarding....whatever it took, that's what each and every player did to win. I am so proud of my Rangers and all they've accomplished this year. It's like what Rusty C. and Cody said, this is something that Coach Chambers started in the 7th grade and Donald and Johnny have completed. Thanks for the memories Seniors, you've made this year one heckuva ride for the fans and parents. WE LOVE YOU ALL YOU ARE # 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME JOB, RANGERS!!! You all have done what a lot of people thought was impossible. You have proven that just because you play for a small public school does not mean you should be overlooked. You guys went with one goal in mind and returned with that goal achieved. I am so proud of all of you. Let's win the 'ship in baseball too this year!!! :D

Unaka RANGERS, CLASS A STATE CHAMPS!!!!!!

The loudest roar occured just before the game began.  The Unaka fans absolutely erupted when the Public Address Announcer introduced "The Unaka Rangers from"......(and a noticable pause)......"STONEY CREEK TENNESSEE!" 

It seems that someone got the word out that the otherwise inconspicuous Stoney Creek area of Carter County was more aptly identified as the Home of the Rangers.  The specialized introduction caused quite an uproar...and a lot of back and forth chatter down on Press Row. 

Some people are puzzled by my preference for high school basketball over the college or professional level. This game is an example of why I love hs basketball. I never thought I would see or hear people being so proud of being from 'Stoney Creek'. Even more impressive were the interviews the players and coaches gave in the Elizabethton Star-- each thanked God and in more depth than you normally see. The number of people from carter county at Murphy Center was impressive given the distance. Things that happen off the court itself can turn a great game into a legendary game... and this was a LEGENDARY game.

WOW, BASKETBALLS A CRAZY SPORT! WHO WOULD HAVE EVER THOUGHT THAT BEING THE LUCKEST TEAM IN THE STATE COULD MAKE YOU STATE CHAMPS? I WISH WE COULD HAVE HAD ONE OF UnakaS LUCKY PENNIES OR LUCKY WHATEVER THEY HAD, CUZ MAN DID IT WORK. I LIKE TO HEAR STONEY CREEK BRAG ON TEAM WORK AND HARDWORK WHENEVER THEY WIN, BUT ITS BETTER WHEN THEY ARE FIGHTING AND FUSSING WHEN LUCK RUNS OUT. I LIKE TO SEE A TEAM, IN ALL HONESTY, THAT SHOULDNT WIN, WIN. GIVES ME HIGH HOPES TO SEE A GOLD BALL AT Clinch NEXT YEAR. YOU NEVER KNOW, Unaka CAN WIN STATE, Clinch SHOULD BE RIGHT UP THERE SOMETIME SOON. NOT TAKING AWAY ANYTHING FROM WINING, UHS PLAYED THE GAME THEY NEEDED TO PLAY, AND IM GLAD THEY THINKED GOD AT THE END, CUZ WITH OUT HIM, THEY WOULD OF HAD TO LISTEN TO THE GAME ON THE RADIO. HOPEFULLY, NEXT YEAR, LUCK WILL BE ON SOMEONES SIDE WHO I DONT REALLY DISLIKE. GREAT ROUND BALL UHS AND ENJOY IT WHILE IT LAST, CUZ YOU ALL WILL BE THE PICTURE IN THE TROPHY CASE THAT PEOPLE LOOK AT 100 YEARS FROM NOW AND SAY, " THAT WAS THE ONLY TEAM EVER TO WIN A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP".

I HOPE TO SEE SOME STONEY CREEKERS IN THE BORO NEXT YEAR, CHEERING ON MY HIGHLANDERS AS THEY CRUISE TO THE TITLE. LANDERS ARE STILL THE "BEST" BBALL TEAM IN Carter COUNTY, JUST NOT THE LUCKEST!! GO LANDERS!!!!!! :P:wub: