Brown out at Macon Co.!

regit

It upset me a little bit because I thought a lot of Darian, but it's all over now. Macon Co. Basketball has to move on. Who in the world will want to step in and take this job? In my opinion, it would have to be someone young just looking for a good place to get his feet wet in a head coaching position because I don't think any veteran coach would want to go for the job with the lack of talent and with the politics of basketball in the area. What about Jeff Beam, the assistant for the girls at Macon Co.? That thought has crossed my mind several times, but I don't know if he will because he will be looking to take over for Coach Carter in the near future. And what about Micah Rochester from Hermitage Springs? He is a very intense young coach. Things could get interesting on the west side of Macon Co. Thank goodness we aren't having these kinds of problems on the east side.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It upset me a little bit because I thought a lot of Darian, but it's all over now. Macon Co. Basketball has to move on. Who in the world will want to step in and take this job? In my opinion, it would have to be someone young just looking for a good place to get his feet wet in a head coaching position because I don't think any veteran coach would want to go for the job with the lack of talent and with the politics of basketball in the area. What about Jeff Beam, the assistant for the girls at Macon Co.? That thought has crossed my mind several times, but I don't know if he will because he will be looking to take over for Coach Carter in the near future. And what about Micah Rochester from Hermitage Springs? He is a very intense young coach. Things could get interesting on the west side of Macon Co. Thank goodness we aren't having these kinds of problems on the east side.

Micah Rochester he must be a real coach to be hired by the clay county board if we get him that would just be a slap in the face for this county as well. You must really want this program to go to pits oh I almost for got it is already there im sorry,

basketball99, it sounds like to me that you have a personal problem with coach brown. maybe your one of the ones that couldn't hack it in coach browns program, i don't know. but you can really tell that you have a vast knowledge of the game of basketball, so let me ask you a question. as far as the past teams go, can you tell me what the records of those teams were? maybe you need to look that up. maybe its just me, but i seem to remember seasons with low numbers in the loss department. but they had no talent huh. sub-state, district championships......they don't really prove anything do they?........anyway, this year no coach alive could have gotten this team more than 5 wins. period. the kids did play hard, god knows they tried. it just didn't happen for them. as far as quitting at halftime of the rbs game, if you have any pride at all you never quit. coach or other wise. that shows no character at all. just because things aren't happenning the way you planned, it is a coachs' duty to be loyal to the kids out there busting thier butts for you! its also the kids resposibility to play hard and respect the coach who is giving them the chance to play. thats a privilage that some take for granted. there is no excuse to quit, maybe that doesn't make sense to you,.....

I was curious to come to CoachT for the first time to read about the Coach Brown ordeal, and what do you know, low and behold my name is in one of the messages. Well, I'm not on here to bash anyone for anything. I just want to express my concern for MCHS basketball....

As a member of one of the much-mentioned "past teams" at MCHS, I hate to see this kind of attention brought to our Community, school, and athletics programs. Just like everyone, I would love to see our basketball teams have successful seasons like '95-'96 when we went 28-3. (I was on that team and apparently we had no talent according to other messages.) But I feel very strongly that firing a coach like Darian Brown is a huge mistake. Granted, I'm not the genius some think they are on here, but I have been around my share of basketball. Sure, I was just a walk-on for UT, but I was part of an SEC program (and later a part of two different coaches' programs at Cumberland (NAIA) as a player and assistant coach). With that being said, I would have given anything to have been able to play for a coach like Darian Brown.

For those of you who are looking for someone who is not "tight" with Coach Brown to step up and vouch for him, here you go. Yes, I know him and am an acquaintance of his, but I could count the times we've spoken on two hands. Yes, I think that he's probably the high caliber of a man that everyone claims. But all I can fairly talk about is his coaching ability. I'll admit that my first impression of his coaching stategy was doubtful since I had never personally experienced his style before. But the more I have observed his coaching, I am convinced that he not only has immense knowledge of the game but also has the one intangible that most coaches lack: he gets more out of the players on his team than any coach I have ever been around. Forget the fact that his players who stay and play like him... because I would love to play for such an impartial and motivating coach. For all of the "basketball minds" that I have personally queried around the mid-state (referees, coaches, administrators, etc.), I've heard nothing but unanimous admiration for his coaching ability. Let's leave the current players out of this... playing in our current district would be an extremely tough road for any MCHS team, past, present, or future. When half of the teams in your district are private schools with "flexibility" in player selection, how can a school with 700-800 students up in the country routinely compete with that factor?

Listen, no one can compete with the fact that a one-win season is a one-win season. That's unsatisfactory to anyone's standards. But I would argue that firing a man over wins and losses totally underminds what competition is all about. Sure, we can pattern ourselves after every college and pro team who fires their leaders after unsuccessful tenures, but are we really that narrow-minded to act like that's all that matters? No, a good coach does not have to be liked by everyone. But in my book (and granted I'm the author), any coach who gains the utmost respect of their players and has them playing to their utmost ability for him is at the pinnacle of the coaching platform, regardless of what parents and Community members think. Trust me, high school kids are too smart to be manipulated, treated badly, and/or fooled by any coach who doesn't have knowledge of their sport, care for their players, and the motivational ability to mesh the two factors. I hope Coach Brown finds a program that deserves and respects his abilities as a person and a GREAT coach. And I hope Macon Co. supports our next coach unconditionally until he proves detrimental to the development of our kids.

Those who have wanted Brown gone are certainly entitled to have their opinions. As for me, I hope my kids play under someone like him.

P.S. By the way, if you want to throw stones that's fine. But come up with something refreshing and original for me to hear, please. I've already heard that I brought the team at UT's GPA up, tutored the whole team, and begged a bunch of sponsors to donate thousands of dollars to the program just so I could make the team. I find it entertaining to hear it all, just give me some new material to read.

By the way, the end of my previous message was in response to an earlier message that specifically called out myself and other former MCHS players that went on to play college. Just wanted to let that be known since somehow that other person's message mysteriously disappeared from the message board after my other post.

Ok basketball99 you obviously can tell us the problems so why don't you try to come up with some solutions. Or can you, all you know how to do is complain about crap and call people out on here. If you are gonna slam someone then get the marbles to post your name under it too. You've called out some of our past players on here and I'm wondering why. Is it because you weren't as good as them and your jealousy eats you up? Or did you even play, I honestly don't think so because anyone that has ever played and knows something about basketball (which you don't) would know that we've had some very good talent up here at Macon Co. I'm sorry you wasn't one of them though. And then you get on here and talk crap about Coach Rochester. He, like Coach Brown had probably the toughest coaching job in the state to do in terms of the overall lack of talent. The fact that he even won 2 games with the team that he had is a compliment to his coaching ability. Instead of getting on here and doing some pretty serious personal attacks on people why don't you just do what I hope your mother told you and that is if you don't have anything good to say then don't say it at all. But if you do feel the need to talk crap then why don't you be a man and say it to the guys you've been talking crap about faces.

Not a genius on the situation, but as I understand Mr. Brown is no longer the coach of MC Basketball. Everyone fussing about the situation is not going to get him rehired. If an administration rehires a coach because the Community disagrees with a decision they are placing themselves in a nightmare of a power struggle. The parents should take care of their children first and their board member second, the school board should take care of thier director, and the director should be able to make unbiased educated decisions. I'm not saying that I agree with the firing of this coach. From what I hear he is a great guy that cares about his players. Was the director a coach at one time or what? I wish Mr. Brown the best in whatever he chooses, and hope that everything works out the way he would like.

Again, everyone plays their position and this thing runs like a deer.

Edited by rambot

PROCK WILL  HIRE SOMEONE WHO HAS NO COLLEGE EXP. LIKE HE DID  FOR BASEBALL AT RBS.  THE PEOPLE OF MACON COUNTY SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE ON DIRECTOR OF THE SCHOOL SEE HOW HE WOULD LIKE IT

Prock sure wouldnt be the Director of schools in Macon County if it was voted on! Oh yea by the way RBS baseball isnt doing too bad, they have beaten two AA schools from sumner county and also beat Jackson Co.

Edited by jimbobcooter