Popularity

Guest BIGRUSN

I believe that high school and college lacrosse will be extremely popular all over the country within the next 15 years. Besides the traditional Eastern teams, schools in the West Coast and Southeastern areas, as well as Ohio, Colorado, and Michigan will all field several competitive teams. I'm not so sure, however, that a large market will ever exist for professional lacrosse. I don't particularly care for the MLL or NLL, and neither do a lot of older lacrosse fans. The college and high school game should really take off though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well those "5" people that post here have accumulated more posts and replies that TSSAA sanctioned sports of Cross country, volleyball, cheerleading, golf, tennis, bowling. So i guess those sports really arent popular and I dont know why coacht spends any time on them. Just because you are afraid that your sport wont have the same popularity has it did because of lacrosse, doesnt mean that lacrosse stinks. Go back to your boys soccer board. Oh and by the way 20 years ago if you said soccer would have been big, or even should get 2 seconds on sportscenter, or anything else that you said, everyone would have said that you were crazy.

The problem with MLL is that it is too different from college lax and down. Rules and the way the game is played have all be changed in some way. If you start out playing lax when you are younger and you see an MLL game, it will be harder to like it, compared to a college game. Nothing changes from highschool, college and pro basketball and football, that is why it is popular at all the levels, but MLL is just too different from college.

Lax is also spreading everywhere, south and west are growing exponentially. Since you can compare the game play to hockey and football(the hits, and speed), there is no reason not to like it. It is only going to get bigger.

As a person who has never had the opportunity to play Lacrosse, a baseball coach, and former college baseball player, I must say that I love watching the game of Lacrosse, and given the opportunity would have enjoyed playing. For all of you out there playing and coaching the game, best wishes on a bright futuere. I hope that it catches on.

Cross country, volleyball, cheerleading, golf, tennis, bowling. You say these sports arn't really all that popular, try this, one of them is the most watched, most attended and most played sport in the world, golf. These sports have always been TSSAA main stays and just arn't really big spectator sports for HIGH SCHOOL. Lacrosse is ok, but for crying out loud I watch the 6a.m sportscenter every morning and lacrosse is never on there, and rarely do you see a game on TV. I watched part of an NLL game at like 2am on FSS, and it was comical because the goalie was about 3/4 the size of the goal. Just a fat guy who flinches and he gets to any part of the goal, at least a hockey goalie has to do something, and isn't just a fat lazy guy. The college game is interesting to watch on TV, but the finals and semifinals are usually held somewhere in Yankee land and still thay barely get 5,000. Lacrosse is a fast paced game that Indians played before we came to this land, and afterwards they killed each other. Lacrosse will never catch on in this state even until TSSAA endorses it, which can't happen until 2006. Right now schools don't support their treams with pads or anything. It costs well over $250 to play, so most public schools can't have a team, because the students aren't going to pay that much. Lacrosse is an interesting game, but its still a yankee thing that most yankees don't like. Heck in my 6 months on Long Island last year I saw and heard one reference to lacrosse and that was when I asked about it because I heard my school was getting a team, the people that I asked, and I asked this to multiple people, just said that it was a sport that a few people played, but it was kinda like kickball, in that no one really cared that much. That came from LONG ISLAND, the place that is supposed to be the LAX capital. It appeared as if LAX was lost after we killed off the Indians, but a few Yanks resurrected it and it somehow has stayed around just long enough for a few people to move to other states and annoy the heck out of 99% of us and catch the attention of the other 1%.

Lacrosse will continue to grow rapidly across the country at the grass roots level. It will never be huge like football because it doesn't televise well -- following a small ball across the length of the field is difficult, much more so than hockey, which is on a smaller playing field. The sport must be viewed live on the field to be fully appreciated.

Furthermore, I think some HS football coaches may begin to realize that lacrosse is by far the best Spring sport for overall conditioning and coordination skills, and may begin to encourage their football players to take up the sport. Serious injuries are relatively uncommon, and there is a place on the lacrosse field for almost every type of athlete.

Guest BIGRUSN

unanymous your talking to the wrong crowd. Have you seen how many teams play in college... thats not just a few people who dont really care about it.

USN person, I've seen a few college games and it more resembles a high school soccer game, with players, parents and a few locals being the only attendees. Oh yah girl's lacrosse teams outnumber boys lacrosse teams 2-1 in college because of title IX, so colleges are reluctant to add a guys team because they have to have an equal number of girls athletes as guy athletes and no one is going to cut back on the almighty football. And look at the colleges that compete John Hopkins and Maryland, Syracuse. yankee schools with enough people to put a desent team together. LAX will never go anywhere and you are wasting your time playing it because its just a WASTE of money.

:blink: :justwrestle: :(:)

WHAT NOW WHAT NOW WHAT NOW SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND REALIZE I'M RIGHT YOU IGNORANT PEOPLE