Intentional Hitting a Player

coachflo

I'm wondering about the feeling of others at throwing at a player when that players team is down by 4 runs. At the Sparta-Cookeville game last night Cookeville intenitonally threw at a player after the kid before hit a two run homer. I know it was intenional cause the kid that was pitching has good control and threw the first pitch behind the hitter and then hit him with the second pitch. Normally I wouldn't say anything but the situation was not right for it. Cookeville was leading 10-6 after the homerun and the next batter was Sparta's pitcher. I felt this was an example of poor sportsmanship. There was no reason for it. The first pitch behind him was enough of a message but to throw at him a second time shows no class. And let me just say before Cookeville ball players and fans get on here and start shouting that I'm just whinning cause we got beat, Cookeville out played us last night. They were better than us defensively. We didn't make the routine plays and missed our spots on some pitches and Cookeville took advantage of that. They made the plays they had to make and we didn't. Point blank Cookeville was better than us Thursday just like we were better than them Tuesday. I just want to know everyone's opinion on the situation. Should he be thrown at or not.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think ne one should intintionaly throw a ball at another play of the opposite team..i;ve been hit probly bout 12 times already this seson and non of them have been thrown at me on purpose...the pitch just didnt have that much control over the ball....but no .no one should ever be hit on purpose and i think if they do this they should be automaticly egected form the game right then with no ?'s asked

2 things that constitute a little chin music or intentional hit batter:

1. If the batter hits a HR then walks half way to first before he starts his trott.(ie, showing the pitcher up)

2. If the on deck player moves a little closer to home plate and times your pitches everytime you throw a pitch. (Like I seen Pujols do last week and even the commentators didn't like it.) I was a pitcher myself so I may be a little bias, just my opinion though.

Doesn't mean it was poor sportmanship and no I'm not from Cookeville. I guarantee that most coaches would agree that there are certain times to throw at hitters.. Thats just the way the game has been played for over a century and it doesn't need to change. Either you are a parent of the kid that got hit or you really just don't understand the game easyone. Hitting a batter intentionally is not ment to injure the hitter, it is simply a way to send a message.

Mr. Polesit, I am not the parent and I do Know how to play the game and have played it. Hitting is one thing, headhunting is another. Acccidental collisions and doing things on purpose are 2 different things. Hanging curves and fastballs behind your head are also different. Wouldn't you agree !!

Guest oldgold

Having pitched in high school and college, and coached in high school. I can say that there is no place for throwing at a high school player with the intention of hitting them. Let's realize what we are dealing with, 75 to 80 percent of these kids will never play at the next level. They are not that good, this is a game. The rule in college was to send a message, knock them down so the bat hit the ground. If that is the intention and a player gets hit. Fine! But for a high school kid to go after another hitter with the intention of hitting them, WRONG! How would you feel if you actually hurt them and they could not ever play again. In college, you are receiving money, in the form of a scholarship to perform. That is a different place and a different game. I have seen players hit in college and they missed a full year, saw one that never recovered. No place for that in high school. Sometimes, in the heat of the game, players and coaches do stupid things, but step back and think. First, it is just a game and second, what if that was my son.

Been on both sides, no fun other either end!

I agree easyone. You should never intentionally throw at another player unless the team does something to merrit it. I know in the Cookeville Sparta game this did not happen. The player that hit the homerun just simply ran around the bases and didn't even look at the pitcher. He in no way showed up the pitcher. My opinion is Cookeville was mad cause their star pitcher had just gave up two bombs to a Sophmore. They showed no class. I know for a fact it was intentional cause players on the other team were laughing about it and didn't know I was standing there. I guess to add to the arguement the umpire told me he didn't believe he would do on purpose so he wasn't going to warn him cause he knew the kid well and teaches in the Cookeville system and just really couldn't believe he would do that. He also proceeded to tell me that Cookeville was a better team than us. All this was during the game. Now in his defense he didn't make any real controversial calls. So I guess he was fair but how can an umpire make that statement. Of course an umpire that is that biasis is not going to throw out a player even if it is intentional. He did however give a warning after a Freshman who came in to throw hit the first kid. It is sad when a player can get away with things like that, even if it was not his fault and it was called from the dugout, Cookeville showed no class at all. This is not a different Cookeville team. They are the same they were the last several years. No discipline and no respect for anyone. The only real difference is they believe they are above the rules and apparently so does the umpires. All I can say is that I hope we get to face them in the district. There will be nothing sweeter than putting Cookeville out of the tournament.

Edited by coachflo

IF a player from the other team trys to show up your team or talks crap or anything like that i say go ahead and let them know not to do it again. If the other team is always running there mouth go ahead get a lead in the game have 2 outs and let a player know and show the team to respect you. Pitchers demand respect and if they dont get it when they deserve it they will let you know about it. I see nothing wrong with hitting a batter on purpose even its to set a tone for the way the game will be played.