Intentional Hitting a Player

coachflo

Exactly Greenman! If you can hit his freakin' earhole, how come you have so much trouble keeping the ball in the park? Ask those 2 guys at Columbia Academy how it feels to have a broken eye socket with blurred vision or a broken jaw. Admittedly, they ran into each other and that's part of the game. How would you feel if it was your pitch that did that damage? If it was my kid that it happened to, you'd feel broke.......cause I'm taking yours and your parents rear ends to the cleaners. Call a lawyer. See whether or not I have a case.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd never have a case-how could you ever prove it was intentional!!!!

If my kid's the one in the hospital with a broken eye socket and he's the batter after a homerun or he hit one earlier in the game, I've got a pretty strong case. Shoot, just based on what you guys have said on this thread, more than half either coach or have been coached to intentionally throw at a player. It's 'part of the game' as you say. I'd say you have to prove it wasn't intentional based on what I've been reading..........in court.

no way anyone will ever admit to intentionality- now the question that started this whole thread was did Alcorn hit the boy intentionally?

Was it a curve ball that he threw that hit him? If it was it was unintentional-because he misses with it some times.

Was it a fast ball that he threw that hit him? If it was it was unintentional because he misses with it some times.

The only way I would believe Alcorn hit a batter intentionally is if he rolled it on the ground and hit him in the ankle-because I have never seen him do that before.

those of you who think that if your kid gets plunked and put in the hospital are going to sue and win then you need to keep your kids of the field since they are so fragile. I know that sounds harsh but grow up its people like you that has made things bad with these petty lawsuits. besides it been said that you wouldn't win and thats right since YOU would have to prove intent. people do get hurt everyday playing sports and just walking down the road. i'm not promoting hitting anybody but realize it does happen intentionally and unintentionally so grow up and quit whinning. besides if you sue for getting hit by a pitch then why not sue for getting hit by foul ball, thrown ball, turning an ankle, broken arm, or some other sport related injury that causes harm like running into a fence or wall.

I believe it happened yesterday in our game with Cascade. Forrest pitcher Mikie Minor jacked the first pitch thrown to him over the centerfield fence. The next time up to bat he was hit on the back trying to dodge the pitch. The next time up, different Cascade pitcher, same thing. Coincidence? Don't think so. Judging by the looks on the Cascade pitcher's faces, really don't think so. The umpire even came over to Mikie after the second time when he was coming off the field to talk to him. Don't know what he said, but I'm sure it had something to do with getting hit. It would be nice to think that these kids were not being taught to do this, but it makes you wonder.

Mikie has a lot of class. He didn't get rattled and continued his game pitching a shutout.

Edited by LovethoseRockets

i believe there are certain times when it is right to throw @ the batter. I was pitching the other night and we were winning say maybe 8-5... and this kid got up there and was waving his bat around doing these stupid stances and acting like he was gonna bunt it w/ his bat way above his head... basically trying to show me up. thinking he was better than me. i ended up striking the kid out but when i got home i was thinking... i should have hit him right in the ear hole! that'll teach him to not show me up again.

There are a few factors that lead to getting plunked, intentionally or not. First- hitters crowd the plate. I did it, you have done it, and our sons will probably do it too. And secondly, pitchers are trying to control the whole plate, just as they should. This leads to "unintentional" beanings.

As for getting plunked on purpose, there is absolutely no use for it, all you do is give your opponent another baserunner.

At my high school, our coach told us to steal on the very next pitch after getting hit. "Make 'em pay" he used to say!

Edited by NOLE

i believe there are certain times when it is right to throw @ the batter. I was pitching the other night and we were winning say maybe 8-5... and this kid got up there and was waving his bat around doing these stupid stances and acting like he was gonna bunt it w/ his bat way above his head... basically trying to show me up. thinking he was better than me. i ended up striking the kid out but when i got home i was thinking... i should have hit him right in the ear hole! that'll teach him to not show me up again.

Here's another fine example of "Showing some one up". You did the right thing by striking him out, but how was he "Showing you up". Did you feel threatened by his attempt to bunt? What did he do? Shoot you a bird or something. Obviously you didn't have to peg him. I bet he didn't do his little dance after you sent him to the bench instead of 1st base. :lol:

Guys, you are all missing the point. Throw inside, throw behind him, roll it up there. Whatever you need to do to regain your self esteem. You use your arm as a weapon when you throw an 80+ mph fastball at an earhole. You don't get to determine intent if you put my kid in the hospital with a bean ball. It's out of your hands. Law enforcement and judicial authorities will decide your fate. It will cost you thousands to prove you didn't do it intentionally and it has nothing to do with being fragile. It has more to do with being mature and being accountable for your actions. Most of you high schoolers admit that you'd throw at somebody just for 'showing you up'. Pretty juvenile. Sounds like you've got some real role models helping you along too. That's a crying shame.

no one on this topic has condoned throwing at someones head or "putting one in the ear hole". all i've said is that there are times to throw at someone say their feet or hind side that's part of the game. kids today all think they have to stand on top of the plate to hit they're the ones asking to get hit by a pitch and the coaches let them do it. they can hit the outside pitch but if one comes on the inside corner then they will either get hit by it or they will bail out and start a stare down with the opposing pitcher and cause mommy and daddy to start yelling at the umpire to do something before someone gets hurt. by rule if the umpire feels that the batter is the cause fore the problem then they will be the one tossed and not the pitcher. if you say that the pitchers arm is a weapon when he's throwing 80+ then every time someone gets hit then there is cause for a lawsuit. that's what's wrong with people today if something doesn't go their way then sue for anything. no one and i mean no one should ever throw a someones head or any where near the head.