Intentional Hitting a Player

coachflo

There is a time and place to "put one between the numbers". That is part of the game, and has been for a hundred years, but only when necessary. You all know what I mean by this so don't go off making more out of it than what it is. However, I don't think there is any place in the game for "head hunting." That is when things get ugly. Getting hit and even getting hit intentionally are part of the game and it always will be, but throwing at the head has no place in the game my opinion. Sometimes a guy has it coming, like stealing when up 15-0 or laying down a drag bunt while up big. All that you can hope is that the guy on the mound doesn't go above the shoulders where things can get ugly.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree that there's a place for it, but I do disagree on the place. A kid stealing when his team is up 15-0 is a jerk, no doubt (or his coach is...and how you gonna hit the coach?). But I wouldn't throw at him. For me, the only time it is appropriate to hit someone is in self-defense. That is, when your guys are getting hit, it's time to hit the other guys--preferably, the pitcher who's throwing the plunks.

I don't think ego is sufficient justification for hitting a kid. Note, however, that I do think it's sufficient justification for dusting a kid. But there is a difference between plunking and dusting.

And it seems odd to talk about it, but pitchers should be taught the proper way to hit someone. Head-hunting is too dangerous. It shouldn't happen. If you really want to plunk someone to send a message, do it properly: throw a slider just behind the front hip. It's dang tough to get out of the way of that one.

Good lord, what is all this talk about causing a coma and severe brain damage and crap.  Getting drilled by the pitcher is part of the game, so get over it.  If you're scared then don't play.  Yes, I have seen players' get hit in the face causing broken jaws and eye socket's.  I have even been drilled in the nose before, but I'm pretty sure that it didn't stop me from playing the next game.  If a player deserves to be hit, then he gets hit.  It's how the game has been played for years and if your kids cant understand the difference between the game and real life then don't let them play.  Alcorn, if the other teams drills one of your players, you let the first batter next inning know not to do it again.  Keep playing the same way Cavs.

Nice user name, FLOTG, these are High School kids we are talking about. This is not Barroid Bonds. In your post you said "It's how the game has been played for years and if your kids cant understand the difference between the game and real life then don't let them play. " In real life most people retaliate when fired upon. So what youre saying is its ok to retaliate in a game too. Even though its just a game of Baseball. Thats got to confuse a kid. :D:D you should change you're user name to.... for love of a good fight. Do you want to see a bunch of High School atheletes in a brawl at the mound or what. This is not the big leagues.

Edited by GreenMan

I played, I pitched, I hit batters. I was never taught to intentionally throw at anyone and I never went above the shoulders. Now, throwing inside and dusting someone is totally different. I'm talking about up and in.....chin music.....head hunting. That should never be a part of amateur baseball.

I've seen coaches and umpires plunked too. Head coach usually coaches third. It's gonna cost a run, but a pickoff at third that gets away from you can plunk the coach. The catcher has to be in on plunking Blue and it usually gets the pitcher and catcher tossed. Not that I condone any of this, but just to clarify.

THERE IS A TIME AND PLACE FOR THROWING AT A PLAYER.PEOPLE GET OVER IT, BECAUSE THATS BASEBALL AND YOU DON'T CRY IN BASEBALL!!

I'll say it again. You guys have been watching too much SportsCenter and baseball movies or are on some kind of ego trip. The coach at Blackman got suspended for what? Berating a player? Grabbing him by the collar? He's gone. The same or worse will happen to a pitcher that intentionally throws at a batter and hurts him. Mark my word. You're fooling yourself it you throw at somebody's head and don't think there will be serious repercussions for your actions.

when ever someone hits a home run the next batter that doesnt have an immediate effect on a big inning will get decked if not then then the guy who hits a home run will go down his next at bat. or if you know the guy. friend or not.

did in high school and college worked for me just fine

Well, there you go. Egos.......There's no room for intentionally hitting a batter in high school or below. In college, maybe. I agree with throwing inside, backing him off the plate or throwing way inside on a suicide bunt situation. I'm talking about above the shoulders guys. Read all of the thread..........

Heres the way I see it. Pitcher throws behind a hitter just after he gives up a HR. Should be a red flag to the umpire. Should have warned him. Pitcher hit batter on next pitch...toss him from the game. I believe thats an automatic suspension. None of this happened? Another fine example of poor officiating.

havent read every post on here but from what i have read, i think that if a pitcher has a homerun hit off him and the guy shows him up then yes, as a pitcher i am aiming for his ear hole when he steps back into the plate. but just because he hit a two run bomb doesnt give him the authority to hit the guy. maybe he didnt hit his spot or sumthin. but also if hes pitching and the team that is batting is crowding the plate at every at bat i would start throwing at them to back them off the plate. you guys who have sons that play or what not, u need to grow up its apart of baseball. ive seen plenty of kids get thrown at, hit in the face for tring to bunt, ive seen it all almost. if ur son gets hit big deal, he will have a bruse and he will wake up the next morning. and if he is thrown at, and its near his head, he should have the agility and atheleticism to get out of the way. if not put em in tha band or sumthin

i think that if a pitcher has a homerun hit off him and the guy shows him up then yes, as a pitcher i am aiming for his ear hole when he steps back into the plate.

So I guess if we were talking football then you would justify this: Quarterback throws 98 yard TD pass and lets the defense know about it, in your case it would be alright since he "Showed someone up" to take out his knee on his next offensive play. I don't see "showing someone up" as being a good reason to hit him in the head. Sounds like a little Ego Trip to me. If someone shows me up then I'm going to try harder to strike his but out next go at it. Thats being grown up, not hitting the guy cause he's better than you.