Intentional Hitting a Player

coachflo

It has come to my attention tonight that my comment about the situation at Cookeville has offended some umpires. I want to start by applolgizing to the umpires of that game. I am not going to list thier name. They know who they are. I'm sorry if my comment did not come out the way I had intended it to. I meant no disrespect to the umpires in this game. For the most part I totally agreed with their calls. My only statement about the umpires that night was that I felt something should have been done when the kid hit one of our players. The player nor anyone on our team deserved it. I also did not mean to imply that they only warned Sparta when the Freshman hit their leadoff batter. They did warn both teams. However I don't understand why the warning came out then. We are talking about a Freshman who can be wild at times. You can ask around he has a tendancy to get a little wild. But Cookeville had a senior on the mound who has good control. He, as I have been told, the "best pitcher in the district". To the umpire on the bases I didn't mean to imply that you were in any way unfair. You have the right to your opinion as I have mine. I do feel however that your comment about them being a better ball club was a little uncalled for. I agree that Cookeville is a good ball club and as I said at the start of this thread they were better than us that night. They out hit us and played alot better defesively than we did. However during a game I don't believe a comment of that nature should have been made. That upset me and made me mad. Maybe I let my emotions get the better of me on here but I believe it was totally unfair. I would never look at an umpire and tell him that another umpire was better than he is. First off I would probably be tossed on the spot and secondly I would never show someone so much disrespect. However I do appologize for my comment earlier and I only hope you can move beyond this and not allow it to effect my team. I also hope the home plate umpire can look passed all of this and not allow this to effect his calls toward my team. I also strongly appologize to him. I would not have had any problem discussing the situation with the umpires after the game but they refused to speak to me after the J.V. game which followed. Several post on here sounded like Cookeville had the right to hit him and they didn't. I just don't believe it was right to hit the kid. I just strongly believe a warning should have been issued immedately or possibly even an ejection. But that is my opinion. Not my teams or any other person on the field or in the dugout. If an umpire does not agree with the post I have put on here than they can feel free to talk to me about it by adding a post or speaking to me before or after a game. My name is on here. I don't hide behind an alias. If you want to speak to me feel free. I will gladly back up anything I have said on here. Don't take it out on my players. Once again I applogize if I offended any umpire. That was not my attention. I just wanted all the facts put in place before any more of my players were accused of any wrong doing.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again as everyone who knows alcorn has been sayin, HE WOULD NEVER INTENTIONALLY HIT SOMEONE UNLESS HIS PLAYER WAS INTENTIONALLY HIT........easy one, ....Whats your basis for saying Cookeville has poor sportsmanship???? And thank you coach flo for going ahead and makin it clear that this will not be another bash cookeville thread. I respect that. (some people still dont listen. )

Thanks disgustedfan. But I'm not putting it on here for my bennifit. I put this post on here to make amends for any wrongs that I may have done. I do believe in taking up for my ball players. I just wanted to make sure that any umpire that was offended would not hold it against my players. Coach T is about opinions. Everyone has there own and that should not be help against any team. I hope we get to face you guys again in the district though. I think it would be a great game. Alcorn vs. Peterson round II. It has good ring to it don't you think disgusted fan?

So this is what we are teaching our kids: It's o.k. to risk another kids well being or maybe even his life for a High School baseball game. What if the pitcher hits the batter right square in the nose, driving the cartilage and bone into the frontal lobes of his brain causing an instant coma and eventually death as a vegetable. It's enough of a risk everytime a batter enters the box, so why would anyone want to make the chances greater by throwing at them intentionally. That so called "Revenge" wouldn't feel so sweet if the guy died, would it. If you can't strike the guy out or he taunts you, be a man and try harder next time. I bet it would feel better if you struck his butt out and sent him to the dugout with his chin on his chest and not on the side of his face. I can't see violence as being an answer, unless the batter slaps your granny or gets your 14 year old sister pregnant.

Coachflo-your guys never gave up and I was impressed with that-they also hit the ball well. It appears from your record that your team brought it's A game against Cookeville both nights. It has always been a great rivalry between these two teams and it appears it will continue to be for years to come.

Thank you disgustedfan. I really appreciate your comments. It is nice to recieve some respect for the years of service Coach Wilson has put in. I totally believe that your right it will continue to be a battle for years to come. That is what makes rivalries so special I guess. You never know how it is going to come out. I look forward to playing Cookeville again. I must say that Coach Chaffin and I actually go way back although he probably don't remember me. I enjoy playing against him. By the way do you know who won the freshman Tourn in Lebanon

Greenman-I guess your scenario could happen-but also a plane could fall out of the sky and take out a dugout full of players, yet the chances are slim very slim!!!

You're right the chances are slim, but they are greater if the pilot is doing pointless low diving flybys over the dugout. Why risk catastrophe over a game of baseball. :blink:

Good lord, what is all this talk about causing a coma and severe brain damage and crap. Getting drilled by the pitcher is part of the game, so get over it. If you're scared then don't play. Yes, I have seen players' get hit in the face causing broken jaws and eye socket's. I have even been drilled in the nose before, but I'm pretty sure that it didn't stop me from playing the next game. If a player deserves to be hit, then he gets hit. It's how the game has been played for years and if your kids cant understand the difference between the game and real life then don't let them play. Alcorn, if the other teams drills one of your players, you let the first batter next inning know not to do it again. Keep playing the same way Cavs.

Not in high school baseball. There are plenty of safety rules in place at the high school level such as sliding or avoiding contact with the catcher rather than Ray Fosse him. That's as much a part of the game as throwing at a kid. Listen to yourself. No high school kid 'deserves' a broken jaw or eye socket from some Nuke LaRoosh that's got a million dollar arm and a 5 cent brain.

I've talked with 3 or 4 TSSAA umpires. There would be serious repercussions if a pitcher throws intentionally at a batter. If the coach told him to, he'll be held responsible too. If you throw at my kid, and injure him seriously, I'm gonna use every legal means within my power to make sure you don't throw at anybody else or coach high school baseball in this state. You guys are on some sort of ego trip or have been watching too much SportsCenter.

Edited by ksgovols

Most of the post on the question at hand are right on target but a few go off the deep end without a lifeguard. it was said earlier that to throw at an opposing player is part of baseball is correct but there is a time and place for it. 85% of thepeople out there who have played the game know when to throw at a batter and when to brush the batter back it's been said over and over for years and will be said and taught for years to come. if the weather conditions are bad there maybe some leway in giving a warning but it is left up to umpire to make the determination. every coach and player has the right to defend their player and teammates honor. as an umpire if I determine that they are intentionally throwing at someone then yes they get a warning, if they accidently or intentionally throw at players body above the shoulders then they will also get a warning, then if it happens again they get to go home early and watch the evening news. In all my years of being around the game I've seen it start in Little League and continue all the way up the different levels and it will never change. Yes there is a long standing rivalry between Cookeville and Sparta and during games things get heated at times but at the end its only a game.