Intentional Hitting a Player

coachflo

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coachflo-being a Cav fan let me say that I believe you got a whole lot out of your team this year. It just so happened the Tourney game we played you guys-your pitcher was up in the strike zone and our guys were seeing the ball well. Yet as in the other two games we played White Cty. your kids never gave up-they proved that in the 8 run comeback inning.

I have no facts about the incident that started this thread-but I have watched Alcorn since Babe Ruth and he has missed inside many times-in fact it was the 7th inning against Oakland with two outs that he hit their batter-and he eventually scored the winning run.

I have not seen any evidence all year of a call coming from the dugout to hit a batter-pitch inside yes-but never to hit anyone.

I still believe Alcorn was way off that night and two pitches got away from him.

Oh by the way-our batter was hit on the wrist in the same game and he was out for 5 games. So if there was any revenge-you got it!!!

Trust me disgustedfan, that was really early in the game and was compeltely unintenional. I'm not looking for revenge. Why would I want to revenge a stiuation like this. It can only continue to get worse with revenge. However let me say this, I am not in any way holding Alcorn at fault. As I said before he is a classy kid. What started the whole thread is I wanted to know why would anyone throw at someone when you are up by several runs. I don't even remeber the exact number. To me this is trying to show the other team up. However I will give you that maybe Alcorn was not on. I can truely believe that he did not have his best game. Obviously he is a great pitcher, beating Riverdale, Oakland, and Blackman going 9 innings. So it is possible he wasn't on. However his control wasn't that bad all night long. Consider this for just a min. Is it not possible, maybe he was told to hit him. I am only going on what I know. What I know is this. First the pitch immediately following the homerun was behind his head and it went all the way to the backstop and it was fastball. Secondly the next pitch hit him, also a fastball. Now I know that both could have been accidental. But I also know that at the end of that inning, I went to the restroom. While I was there two of Cookeville's players, who I happen to know both of them, came in and were laughing. One of the players made the comment that it was hilliarous that he nailed the kid after the homerun. The other player made the comment well I guess that will teach them a lesson about hitting homeruns off of our ace. And the finial comment was I am glad that Alcorn done what he was told to do. I also have witness to these comments who does not play for us or has a child on the team. He walked out with me and shook his head and said I can't belive that someone would do that. Now if you say it was an accident, fine I will believe you.

I understand that you are just defending your team but answer me this one, Why would a team, who is knocking the far out of the baseball, steal home when they are up by 8 runs in the 5th? Is that not possible trying to show the other team up? Is that not possible trying to run rule them to show off a little? I might be able to understand it if your team is not hitting and the other team is hitting the ball well. You could try to get another run that way but at that time in the game when it did happen in the tournament Cookeville had 16 runs off of 16 hits, and Sparta had 8 runs on 7 hits. So tell me why would any coach steal home on a double steal, or pick off whatever you want to call it, when your team is up by that much. That to me is rubbing it in my face!! In my opinion that showed no class what so ever! As I have said once before I have no problem with the players, I believe it is all coming from the dugout!

Coachflo, you have to get over this !!! You made the point, you do not throw at someone when you are up several runs. So it should be obvious the pitches were unintentional. You also need to stop saying our coaches showed no class, because you are wrong. Is the goal of any game to win and end the game asap, using the run rule or any means possible. This cookeville team has given up several large leads , they need every run they can get.

As far the players in the restroom, they are not allowed to leave the dugout unless they are chasing foul balls, they are not allowed to have drinks brought to the dugout, they are not allowed to speak to anyone outside the fence during the game

given the rules they have to follow seems hard to believe 2 of them were in the restroom

Edited by mcdog33

Coachflo,

I believe you make a good point and have articulated your argument well. Of course just being a fan I am not privy to what directive was given from the dugout-or what any of the players have said.

Understand also my comment about revenge was not to be taken seriously, I in know way thought your pitcher was getting revenge. I just flippingly said that if revenge was the intent-then you succeeded.

Now concerning the double steal to score- we have been ahead going late into the game and have lost 7 of our 10 loses by our relief pitching not being able to throw strikes. We have proven that we have been unable to hold a lead. You guys proved that against us in your big inning. I think the coach was thinking from past expereince- no lead is big enough for us.

Our teams will not meet again in baseball until next spring-but in 3 months we will tee it up on the gridiron and the rivalry will heat up again.

You guys played us well this year!!!!

All your whinning CoachBlo would set any coach to try to run rule you in the 1st inning if possible. If he hit him intentional or not, no coach of good measure would get on a comment board and try to make a issue about it. Your comments about the bathroom, oh yea, you did say they were in the bathroom, well we know how shi??? starts in the MENS room. Sounds like to me, you hit a CKV player first, and their power hitter at that, and you don't expect some inside music to follow. You need to stay around the game a few more years, then it will start clicking as to why CKV baseball has finally turned around this yr, maybe you can take some lessons and have the same success. Last yrs coach wouldn't allow the kids to play hardball, and we seen the results at the end of season for that, this yr a different story, they believe they can win.. they support each other and support equals success in this case.

very interesting discussion.

i think i am one up on most of you.

i have been hit in the face with a baseball and had my cheekbone broken.

not fun.

however, i wasnt batting. i was coaching.

and the ball wasnt thrown with malice. the kid just did something stupid.

it never crossed my mind to "sue someones pants off."

when you walk on the baseball field you assume a risk of getting hit.

sometimes baseball can be a rough game.

sometimes kids are a little bit mean.

(i oughta know, i used to be one of them).

sometimes the blue arent as in charge as we'd like.

and sometimes someone just needs one stuck in his ribs.

could somebody get injured?

yes, but that isnt the intent.

just want to get their attention!

in football you hit someone on every play.

and they could get injured also.

an occaisional pitch in the ribs is much safer than football.

but the only safe sport is none at all.

One reason that players are getting hurt more these days is that no one knows how to get hit any more. Players aren't taught to turn away from the ball as much and this results in some serious injuries. A ball that hits you in the back will leave a mark but a ball that hits you in the face or the hand could brake a bone and end your season. Players need to relearn the art of getting hit.