RE: South-Doyle catcher Chris Kirkland

HTV

This article confirms what some of us posted about him earlier this season. Note the paragraph that quotes South-Doyle coach Robbie Howard as saying that several pro scouts have told him that Kirkland will be the first high school player from Tennessee selected in the undrafted player draft in June.

Kirkland is the real deal. He'll never get to Alabama.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/high_school/ar...2848774,00.html

Sideburnz, you've got to be kidding. I'm neither a Karns nor a South-Doyle supporter, so I don't have a dog in either fight. I've seen both of them play in high school and summer ball for the last 5 years. Iorg is a great kid, and an outstanding prospect, but Kirkland is the better pro prospect right now. He'll be highly drafted.

Double R - I agree 100%. UT barely gave Kirkland a look, and they did the same with McKenry last year. Both could have helped the BatVols tremendously.

Edited by HTV

Until the citizens of Knoxville put the pressure on Mike Hamilton to fire Ray Bans nothing will happen. He seems to slip under the radar all of the time. When is the Knoxville newspaper going make an issue out of the fact that the baseball team goes to the SEC tournament 1 time every 5 or 6 years and signs few local players.

You are preaching to the choir, cbq.

I believe that the change in athletic directors last year had a big part in giving Rod another shot. If not for the change, he just might have been let go.

The saving grace with Mike Hamilton as the new AD is that as a Clemson grad, he knows what a solid baseball program can do for an athletic department. I'm hoping that he won't let the program slide like our last AD did.

That said, if UT can rebound, which won't be easy given who they have left to play in the SEC, and make the SEC and NCAA tourneys, we have to give Rod credit for making a move forward.

I've talked with scouts about both players... and will perfer to wait until draft day to see who told me the truth. One thing to remember about draft picks, the first ones are not always the best players. It all comes down to who they think will sign and give up college.

That's part of it HV. Another factor is that there are fewer good natural catchers around than there are good middle infielders. Good catchers have more cards to play than good middle infielders just because there are fewer of them. It's the supply and demand theory at work.

Like I said, Iorg is an oustanding prospect. I'm not dowining him at all. Right now I see Kirkland as a higher rated prospect because of his skills behind the plate and the position he plays.

That's part of it HV.  Another factor is that there are fewer good natural catchers around than there are good middle infielders.  Good catchers have more cards to play than good middle infielders just because there are fewer of them.  It's the supply and demand theory at work. 

Like I said, Iorg is an oustanding prospect.  I'm not dowining him at all.  Right now I see Kirkland as a higher rated prospect because of his skills behind the plate and the position he plays.

I didn't think you were downing Cale in any way, but interesting about the supply theory and positions. I've also heard that there is a short supply of quality SS in the draft this year.

It sounds like which ever player that are watching, that position is in short supply :D

I do know of some players that they also love, but they don't think they will be able to sign...... The scouts won't jeopardize their job by recommending a player be drafted and then the club finds out they can't sign that player. That scout won't be around the next year.

PS: I also wasn't intending to take anything away from Chris. He is a favorite of mine and a player that I admire... he has worked hard to improve in every way possible to become the player he is today.

Edited by HiwasseeVol

sideburnz- the only joke on this site is your statement kirkland is hitting .400 and has a lil over 40 rbi's and his skill behind the plate is truly something to be whitnessed i have seen both play and Kirlands release, timing, and accuracy on his throws are incredible its rumored he will be in the top 6 round as far as Cale Iorg goes... NOT IMPRESSED I have seen him play three times this year in all three i saw him go 2-4 (with questionable hits/errors) 0-3, and 0-2 sure the kid is skilled in the field but no as far as i have seen he is no more skilled then a few kids i have seen around here to me he is carrying a name until i see him prove himself.... sorry but thats just what i have seen i am in no way trying to put down or belittle anyone