Foreign Exchange students

gopher15

What are the rules on allowing foreign exchange students to play high school football. It seems to me that this could provide an unfair advantage to schools that get a lot of them. Schools could begin sending "scouts" to other countries and encouraging their best talent to come to their schools. I was talking to a Croatian friend of mine who says they have a ton of talent over there just waiting to be tapped. Please give me your opinions.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of a school in Nashville that has dedicated roughly $100K in annual resources to scouting endeavors in Europe and currently is combing Spain for linebackers and Greece for tailbacks.

My serious opinion is that any school who can get FE students can have at it. Give me home-grown US boys who grow up with football in their blood any day of the week.

I have heard of a school in Nashville that has dedicated roughly $100K in annual resources to scouting endeavors in Europe and currently is combing Spain for linebackers and Greece for tailbacks.

My serious opinion is that any school who can get FE students can have at it. Give me home-grown US boys who grow up with football in their blood any day of the week.

I didn't realize Spain and Greece had good football programs going. The top ten foreign countries for football are:

Croatia

Bosnia

Vietnam

Cambodia

Chech Republic

Switzerland

Mexico

Kazakstan

England

Bangladesh

I think it is vital for any successful program to stay on the cutting edge of progress, I just didn't know what rules affected the status of these foreign players.

My serious opinion is that any school who can get FE students can have at it.  Give me home-grown US boys who grow up with football in their blood any day of the week.

I didn't realize Spain and Greece had good football programs going. The top ten foreign countries for football are:

Croatia

Bosnia

Vietnam

Cambodia

Chech Republic

Switzerland

Mexico

Kazakstan

England

Bangladesh

I think it is vital for any successful program to stay on the cutting edge of progress, I just didn't know what rules affected the status of these foreign players.

That list is outdated. I beleive Lichtenstein and Turjeikestan made the Top 10 this year.

The top ten foreign countries for football are:

Croatia

Bosnia

Vietnam

Cambodia

Chech Republic

Switzerland

Mexico

Kazakstan

England

Bangladesh

Hey moron, several of those countries don't even have organized football. However, gopher poses a very good question and everyone seems to be writing him off. This issue could grow to be rather large, and the T$$AA better start looking into it. I heard the kid from Lispcomb from a year back (Santiago) was one of those FE kids. I heard he was a great soccer player in Peru and some Lipscomb people found him on a mission trip, brought him here to play soccer, and also found out he could knock your block off. They won a state championship w/ him. I know they also have the Abbasnazhad kid from Iran. Same issue? Is the McGee kid from Scotland? Wow, I might have just uncovered quite a conspiracy.

Gopher, I'm not for sure where you got your info regarding football. As far as Europe and football, Germany has the strongest football programs. Also, a good high school player from the states can play on a club team anywhere in Europe and be a very good player. The majority of the world is 50 years behind America in football. They certainly have somwe kids that can play, but most don't get started until late in their teenage years. Training, game planning, and knowledge will take years to develop.

Also, a good high school player from the states can play on a club team anywhere in Europe and be a very good player. The majority of the world is 50 years behind America in football. They certainly have somwe kids that can play, but most don't get started until late in their teenage years. Training, game planning, and knowledge will take years to develop.

Such a typical arrogant American attitude. Actually, Americans are way behind European football. Real football is what Americans call soccer. What Americans call football is really not football. You see in soccer (football to the rest of the civilized and uncivilized world for that fact) you use your foot to kick the ball, which is the object of the game, so it is called football. In football (American style), obviously you use your foot to kick the ball every now and then, but the object is not to kick, it is to run. Football (Western World Style, except Mexico, Cananda, and South America) should be called Runningball. That makes more sense.

Also, it does not take a lot game planning, training, etc... to play football (from here on out referred to as runningball to cut down on confusion). Runningball is quite simple. Get you some big guys in front and block for quick guys. How hard is that? To make it easier yet, every 3-8 seconds in runningball you go back to talk in a huddle. Wow, that takes a lot of endurance to play 3-8 seconds. Now don't get me wrong, i like runningball a whole hole lot, but football takes more endurance. Football is a great sport. FES should NOT be allowed to play football because they have an unfair advantage, but should be allowed to play runningball.

Last thought, football is HUGE in the rest of the world, as many people come to a football game as comes to a NASCAR (go Rusty!) race in America.

Let's keep things straight here paper- football is football and soccer is soccer, or as I like to call it- communist kickball. Let's let history be our guide. Most sports were dominated by americans for many years. Examples:basketball, baseball, football, hockey, bobsledding, ice dancing, and the lumberjack games. However gradually these sports have been taken over by foreigners from other countries. With the success of Yao Ming and Ichiro Suzuki we realize that globablization is real. The chinese have already put a ban on american sumo wrestlers as they realize that the growing girth of Americans will present real problems to the future of their sport. It has been well documented by many sports enthusiasts that the rest of the world is catching up with us. Fortunately unlike most professions their is no fear of the coaching profession being outsourced to other countries, because it is impossible to pay lower wages than are already being paid to american coaches. This all brings me back to the original point which was, should foreign exchange students be allowed to play football?