Monica Abbott

goosevol

I just found out that UT phenom freshman Monica Abbott will be working this summer as an instructor at the Diamond Softball Academy facilities in Rockwood, Maryville and I assume Cookeville. I don't if she'll be a great instructor or not, but I think she'll definitely get the youngers kids' attention and will get them to work hard. It's just another way to help softball grow in the area.

Edited by goosevol

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, I called NCAA at 317-917-6222 to get the answer. If the student is paid the going rate and the university that she attends did not help in job placement then it is allowed. I have a daughter that has an opportunity to teach this summer and wanted to know for myself. Best to call in every situation to be sure.

(ps) there was a rule change in the last few years, it was not allowed a few years ago---per NCAA

Athletes are allowed to have summer jobs as long as there isn't some booster simply paying a kid $500 a week to mow his lawn one time. I'm sure that the athletic department and coaches look into each situation to make sure nothing will get them into trouble.

I just think it's great to have a player of that caliber helping because the younger kids will listen so much better and want to play better simply because they get to meet one of their role models.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I know I will probably get cussed and yelled at for this but I promise I do not mean any harm towards what I am stating. Why would she want to play for them? I mean isn't there another team out there where she can be challenged for her talents. I watched the Dodgers play today at Chattanooga and I must say I wasn't very impressed. Nevertheless 1/2 of the girls on the team will probably get scholarships to play in college but only because of who you know and how much money you have. Plus the coach will expose them to college coaches. Some may very well be deserving of playing at the next level when the rest are nothing more than average high school ball players. Sorry if I offend any one but I am just stating my honest opinion.

Everyone's entitle to their opinion. I've honestly never seen the Diamond Dodgers or any travel teams in softball so there's no way for me at get mad at what you said. I imagine that Monica simply wants to continue playing and I know Coach Weekly at UT has a lot of faith in Darrell Williams, Coach of the 18-Under Dodgers and owner of the DSA. If she does play for them it will definitely make them better, but if you was a 16 or 17-year-old player on another team and you ripped a double off Abbott just think about what that does for your confidence. College coaches will also take notice of any player that has success against Monica. If in fact she does play for them.

Well I am not a big softball fan either. The reason I was at Warner Park was to watch my little niece play. I am sure Coach Weekly wants Monica to play softball this summer but I think for right now he wants to keep her for a couple more weeks (I think UT is still in it). And the way she is pitching I say it's highly possible. But if Monica does in fact play for the Dodgers this summer and a 16 or 17-year-old player does rip a double off of her then she can say she has got a hit off of one of the best and boost her confidence. I just hope it doesn't take the opposite effect and destroy a girl's confidence to strike out 3 times without even touching the ball and look ugly doing it. That is why I thought Monica might play with some top caliber college team and face some of the nations best hitters. But if she does play for them it will definitely make them better, and I think she will definitely help the Diamond as an instructor and be a good role model for the younger kids.

Edited by ProHScout

You would need to contact Darrell Williams at the Diamond Softball Academy in Rockwood, TN The number is 423-354-7633. He is the owner of the academy and will be able to give you any and all information. He is also having a softball camp June 1st thru 3rd and I believe the Weekly's are going to be there for that camp.