BA 2004

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, has anyone won the battle to take over the kicking and punting duties?

I am curious on this too, has anyone won over this battle yet? I have been watching some and it seems Baker is head over heels the favorite on punting, but as far as field goals and extra points, Baker seems to have the better leg, but Varn seems to be much more consistent? Is this the case? I have only watched a few times and that is what i gathered and also i have heard things threw the grape vine saying basically the same thing. However I could be way off, and insight would be good.

I've been out learning to long snap with these guys...so I've seen a lot of the kicking going on. The punting job is definitly Baker's job to lose, he has the most experience and has more hang time and distance on his punts right now. Masters and Varn have each shown some flashes and still both have a chance to win the job especially if they punt well in scrimmages ,but the heavy favorite right now to punt is Baker. The place kicking and kickoff jobs are still definitly wide open. Varn seems to get a little more height and accuracy on most of his field goals, but not near enough distance, while Baker does the opposite. If I had to guess right now I would say Varn would do extra points and short field goals, while Baker would probably have to handle anything over 30. But that's just total speculation from somebody who doesn't know a whole lot about kicking, I would say it's also very possible that Baker might handle all kicking duties since he's the only one with real experience.

Larry most likely will handle the long snapping, he's definitly the most experienced and consistant of the bunch, I'll give it my best shot but Larry has been doing this for 2-3 years while I just learned earlier this summer. Josh has a chance also if he wants to commit himself- he needs to get more consistant. Wow, I'm ready for two-a-days- too much speculating.

I've been out learning to long snap with these guys...so I've seen a lot of the kicking going on. The punting job is definitly Baker's job to lose, he has the most experience and has more hang time and distance on his punts right now. Masters and Varn have each shown some flashes and still both have a chance to win the job especially if they punt well in scrimmages ,but the heavy favorite right now to punt is Baker. The place kicking and kickoff jobs are still definitly wide open. Varn seems to get a little more height and accuracy on most of his field goals, but not near enough distance, while Baker does the opposite. If I had to guess right now I would say Varn would do extra points and short field goals, while Baker would probably have to handle anything over 30. But that's just total speculation from somebody who doesn't know a whole lot about kicking, I would say it's also very possible that Baker might handle all kicking duties since he's the only one with real experience.

825290280[/snapback]

I find this a very interesting post, I did some talking the other day with Hunter Palmer about this subject, bc i figured he would have some insight since he worked out with both of the guys last year. It seems that surprisingly enough, Varn hit a field goal of 52 yards last year during a practice while the longest he ever saw baker hit was 45. However he did say that punting definatly does not appear to be Varn's thing and that kickoffs could go either way depending on the style coach flatt wants. He said that Varn is much better at placing his kickoffs and can consistantly hit them inside the 10. Whereas Baker can put his kickoffs into the endzone, but only does so about 30% of the time. Also the experienc thing from what i have heard threw the grape vine has nothing to do with it. Varn had some conflicts early with coach dalton, and did not perform well during 2 a days last year which is why baker saw some time ahead of him. However I heard that Varn came on strong towards the end and everything between him and Coach Dalton is great. But back on subject, basically the jist i got from palmer was that the punting duties were bakers to lose as the field goals are Varns to lose and kickoffs are still up in the air. However I am not out there so i am not seeing the same thing as 7059... but i just thought i would share what i know. Also, 70.. who appears to have the edge on punting between Varn and Masters, if something were to happed to Baker, who do u think they would send in. Because from what i hear they are both pretty weak in the punting catergory.

Barry Turner Featured in Knoxville News-Sentinel

A nice article on BA TE/WR/DE Barry Turner.  He's this year's David Holbert, and hopefully he'll follow the same path!!

825290607[/snapback]

Interesting, and very "Barry-like"! I found it amusing that Coach Flatt stated that Barry is "only good" at basketball. High standards, I guess, and when you line up with Brandan Wright...

BTW, did anyone else see the write-up on Brandan in this month's SLAM magazine? Pretty cool!

However I am not out there so i am not seeing the same thing as 7059... but i just thought i would share what i know.

I haven't seen too much field goal kicking....occasionally they work on it in the field but most of what we do after workouts is punting and some kickoffs, so your guess is just as good as mine...i'll still put my money on Baker though, just a hunch- but I know it could go either way.

As for who might take over if something happened to Baker as punter.... I believe David and Phil are both occasional CoachT posters, maybe one of them ( cough, cough Tastyoats ) could give some insight.

BUBBA!!!........WHUUUUT???

BUBBA!!!........WHUUUUT?

I think that Phil Masters could be a real help to the team this year. Even though he is just getting started in his kicking career he seems to be progressing well ( playing soccer all his life probably helps some). From what little I have seen him kick i think he could be a tremendous help when the Eagles get into a sticky situation and need a good leg to help them out.

D-Lew!!!